Netizens go ape! Teachers living it up on "staff development trip" while the kids have 20 baht lunch budget

webfact

ครู-768x433.jpg

Daily News Thai  Caption: Teachers living it up!

Daily News reported on what is known in Thailand as an online drama - outrage expressed by netizens after a post on social media. 

This one involved a seven day/six night "staff development" trip by a group of teachers from a school in Nakhon Sri Thammarat in the south.

33-9-1024x577.jpg

Picture: Daily News

The post appeared to have been made by a person determined to expose teachers having a jolly good time when students get very little, notes ASEAN NOW. The post on a site that translates as "Watchdog Operation" might have been made by a parent.

The trip started with a stay in a hotel in Bangkok then a couple of lightning visits to schools in Bang Sue in the Thai capital then one in Phetchabun. 

44-5-1024x577.jpg

Then the "staff development" really began with pictures at a beauty spot, chilling at a coffee shop, a visit to a temple to make merit, time in Chiang Khan in Loei to see the "sea of fog" followed by relaxation at a "walking street club" at a resort on the banks of the Mekong.

22-18-1024x577.jpg

Then came a trip to the "sky walk" where the teachers posted that they preferred mountains to beaches anytime. 

There was till time for some clubbing in Lopburi, a visit to a dam then some more dancing.

The first comment summed up the drama.

55-3-1024x577.jpg

A poster got 135 likes for observing that while the teachers were "living the life of Riley" on their junket the kids back at school had a 20 baht daily budget for their lunch. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-08-23

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, stereolab said:

My BIL, a Nurse, is just back from another jolly with his hospital pals, I don’t think they have completed a 5 day work week in years. 

Funny you should write that ,the wife's niece is a nurse at a rural hospital ,all I here is that last week she was here and they ,ie a jolly, again ,I said does she do any work,and she is on about 35k/baht month.

5 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Despite all the criticisms, a good choice teachers - so did I when I lived in Thailand, especially in Lanna.

Yeah, but what choice did you have? Are the beaches good in Lanna?

• Thanks 1

It's true, but this is capitalism. 

Kids PAY (OK, their parents) to go to school, and the director takes 90% (leaving 10% for the teachers.  lol).   The school sells them clothes, more food, books, everything.....sell, sell, sell, and the kids buy, buy, buy.   Only ONE-WAY money flow.  

Now, if the students all decided to go to another school, things might change.    

These teachers are usually overworked (yes, being lazy all day but having stuff to do.  True, they are inefficient, but they have a lot of "responsibilities") and underpaid (unless there for 10+ years).  So these trips might be important to them.

Kids generally don't like their school, they know it's garbage.  

What I remember is that a government school does have tons of food options for cheap.  40 baht might be enough to get full, plus maybe 10  baht for ice cream and the daily sugar fix.  

Let me add.....Teachers get on a loud bus, go somewhere, and take pictures in a PUBLIC place.  near a mountain, river, lookout, whatever.........that is FREE to do.   Don't look that great.   I can go 20-minutes and take a picture near a waterfall.    It's not like they are going to a Broadway play.   It's hot, lots of walking.......

Edited by Iamfalang

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Did anybody mention who paid for their entertainment and how much?

Wait for the uproar when the kiddies realise mommy and daddy's money paid for the condoms and lube used between teachers on this "development" trip !!

• Like 1