How much and what new shock absorbers?

proton

Toyota Vios 10 years old only done 54k, but over a lot of rough roads. Feels like time to replace the shock absorbers, but which and all four or just the front, what about price? Want to avoid dealer and places like cockpit as local mechanics and buying the parts yourself is far cheaper, unless you make a mistake with what you. buy. Are TOKICO Standard Shock Absorber Gas Type any good?

• Haha 1

Tokico make good quality shock absorbers (they are part of Hitachi and an OE supplier to Toyota). KYB (also Japanese) are another OE supplier. I think both companies manufacture in Thailand - probably similar price and quality.

Obviously I have no idea what state you shocks are in, but ideally replace all 4 shocks.

Gas filled shocks have pressurised nitrogen in the cylinder to stop the oil from foaming when the shock is being worked hard. DefiNitely an advantage on bumpy roads.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

How do you know the shocks on the vehicle are no good.

A good Cockpit outlet would tell you if they are still ok and if they are ok a Toyota dealer would say you should of changed them long time. ????

cockpit told us about 4 years ago they needed doing but Toyota never mentioned it on a service, seems a but rough when the car goes over the traffic humps and rough surfaces

Edited by proton

9 hours ago, proton said:

cockpit told us about 4 years ago they needed doing but Toyota never mentioned it on a service, seems a but rough when the car goes over the traffic humps and rough surfaces

With my Toyota Yaris I had 125,000 on the pair, the vehicle was service once a year at the dealer. The dealer If it is like mines don't take it for a road test they take it around the back of their dealership which is smooth. I already knew I needed shocks a year ago but they never mention it but they wanted me to replace battery and tires two years later still haven't replace.  When the shocks started to go on the small car you will know you hear the noise level go up cloak cloak even smallest of bumps and it isn't going to go away with better tires. 

If it clunks it's probably the upper strut mounts which take the brunt of the impact yet still have to rotate for turns....You could have worn bushings & struts also given your assessment of the road condition.....

A weak shock absorber will allow the wheel to 'hop' over small bumps and rock/pitch excessively over large undulations.  Normally weak shock absorbers don't make a noise.  Knocks from the suspension are generally down to play in drop links or wear in the strut top bearing. Sometimes bottom ball joint or bushes.  Knocking through the steering is usually play in the inner or outer TRE, sometimes a worn rack.

In my experience a weak shock absorber is generally also leaking, but not always. You can check the shocks by pressing down hard on each corner of the car - when you let go it should rebound once and then settle.  More than one bounce means a weak shock.

Shocks are not expensive and labour to swap is not expensive in Thailand so IMHO if you are doubtful then just change all four.