Biden cancels $10,000 in federal student loan debt for most borrowers

Scott

49 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

So the only kids who should go to college are the ones whose parents can afford to save and sacrifice for their kids' education? The really poor kids can take a hike?

You did get the memo about households making 249K/ yr are entitled right? Are these the poor kids you're talking about. Make it for household incomes of 50K/yr and it's tolerable but still stupid spending of funds.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

You did get the memo about households making 249K/ yr are entitled right? Are these the poor kids you're talking about. Make it for household incomes of 50K/yr and it's tolerable but still stupid spending of funds.

God forbid that the poor and middle class should get a tax cut. Republicans are crickets when it comes to tax cuts for the rich.

That's for a working couple, a single person is half that. It's not particularly over the top. Any half decent lawyer, engineer, scientists, whatever could easily clear that. The bill is designed to exclude rich people, not everyone in the middle class. It also helps people who did low value degrees like social work and arts and aren't likely to make a motza from their education.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

That's for a working couple, a single person is half that. It's not particularly over the top. Any half decent lawyer, engineer, scientists, whatever could easily clear that. The bill is designed to exclude rich people, not everyone in the middle class. It also helps people who did low value degrees like social work and arts and aren't likely to make a motza from their education.

yep, so the dems are hoping for a high five from both the high income earners and the real working class. If your household income is 240K/yr you're not included in the working class.

• Like 1

An unattributed post has been removed:

18. Social media content is acceptable in most forums. However in factual areas such as but not limited to news, current affairs and health topics, social media cannot be used unless it is from a credible news media source or a government agency, and must include a link to the original source.

7 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Pretty much a very welcome help to millions of Americans struggling with student debt.

I was struggling with student loan debt from 1988 to 1992.  But I paid back every cent.  I learned an important lesson: Never borrow more than you could payback based upon the type of job you might get after graduation.  Is graduation a requirement for Biden’s Debt Forgiveness?  How about working or volunteering to have the loans forgiven?  What next?  Car loan forgiveness?  Why now in August of 2022?  Sends the wrong message.  

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, LarrySR said:

You're the one bringing up vote buying, hence my question that I noticed you didn't reply to.

No, I wasn't the one bringing it up, I responded. And please quote properly, you're replying to yourself now.

Earlier post was this one: "This is essentially just a cash bribe (in disguise) to potential/future voters. "

Edited by stevenl

9 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Their should be a pre-requisite course in High School on how school loans work. 

Pretty much a slap in the face to the millions who saved and sacrificed for their kid's education. Or those kids who didn't go because they couldn't afford it. 

This is an almost verbatim quote from Mitch McConnell yesterday. It might have been nice if you attributed it. I saw it by chance reported on CNN.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Except that mainly Republicans oppose this tax cut for the poor. That includes all Republican elected politicians.

I guess many independents will benefit from this as well.

As many will feel screwed by it.

11 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

This is an almost verbatim quote from Mitch McConnell yesterday. It might have been nice if you attributed it. I saw it by chance reported on CNN.

I don't know of any McConnell comment. Those were my words.

7 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Those that couldn't afford to get a loan will lose nothing and those who can clearly afford to pay it back can hardly claim to be screwed. So, who gets screwed?

The poorest will lose a chance at university.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Those that couldn't afford to get a loan will lose nothing and those who can clearly afford to pay it back can hardly claim to be screwed. So, who gets screwed?

The citizens paying the taxes which subsidize it.

Just now, nauseus said:

Again? 5T of this was in 2020 after Covid hit. 

Never fear, I'm sure Joe won't be outdone!

A couple of trillion was a single tax giveaway to the rich, an amount far bigger than this bill but you're glossing over that.

• Like 2

When a reporter asked the president whether his plan was unfair to those who have repaid student loans or chose not to borrow in the first place, Biden replied, “Is it fair to people who, in fact, do not own multi-billion-dollar businesses if they see one of these guys getting all the tax breaks? Is that fair? What do you think?”

https://thehill.com/homenews/morning-report/3615080-the-hills-morning-report-will-bidens-student-loan-plan-pump-up-the-base/

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, 300sd said:

Great, let's borrow and not be responsible for our own actions. This will end well. Actually most can see clearly how it's going in the US at this time. Time is not on the side of America. Rest in peace.

So you believe the US is on its final legs and going under....better think again my friend, others will fall well before the US.