Santander Bank (U.K.) Voice ID.

Yesterday received SMS from Santander that I’m now registered for voice ID. If I hadn’t requested it ‘phone Customer Services. As I hadn’t I rang to query. Lady explained that another customer had mistyped their PIN. They have now removed this customer's voice ID from my account. A little worrying because you have a personal ID number also that I believed would be unique? Fortunately, the ‘phone call was free and resolved quickly and courteously once I’d got through the unavoidable queuing system.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

That is strange, something to look out for

Makes life more interesting! Anyway, the voice ID verification seems to work because the system asked me to say the passphrase three times before failing me and then progressing me to Customer Services who, of course, asked alternative security questions. They even insisted upon ringing me back on the mobile number which was upon their records.

14 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Makes life more interesting! Anyway, the voice ID verification seems to work because the system asked me to say the passphrase three times before failing me and then progressing me to Customer Services who, of course, asked alternative security questions. They even insisted upon ringing me back on the mobile number which was upon their records.

that's the annoying thing when they want to call you on your UK number in Thailand, same Halifax, not sure why they can't keep it simple and use sms OTPs where possible

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

that's the annoying thing when they want to call you on your UK number in Thailand, same Halifax, not sure why they can't keep it simple and use sms OTPs where possible

I have Halifax Bank account and credit card too. I have given both banks my 'VYKE' virtual U.K. mobile number and, so far, receive both voice calls and SMS (OTP's) with no difficulties. Yesterday, because I was calling an 0800 number I used 'SKYPE' to make the outgoing call because it's free. 

• Like 1

I closed my Abbey National/Santander account because of issues with failing the ID verification process. Due to the time zones working in the Russian Far East I invariably ended up with a call centre in Delhi, where my inability to understand what I was being asked meant my being forwarded to the 24hr customer services desk in the UK, who fixed the issue after confirming it really was me. I just couldn't be bothered with the extra hassle.

Edited by Stocky
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Stocky said:

I closed my Abbey National/Santander account because of issues with failing the ID verification process. Due to the time zones working in the Russian Far East I invariably ended up with a call centre in Delhi, where my inability to understand what I was being asked meant my being forwarded to the 24hr customer services desk in the UK, who fixed the issue after confirming it really was me. I just couldn't be bothered with the extra hassle.

I can understand your frustration with that! 

58 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

I have Halifax Bank account and credit card too. I have given both banks my 'VYKE' virtual U.K. mobile number and, so far, receive both voice calls and SMS (OTP's) with no difficulties. Yesterday, because I was calling an 0800 number I used 'SKYPE' to make the outgoing call because it's free. 

how much does it cost you when they call your VYKE number? i know making calls on Skype is cheap

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

how much does it cost you when they call your VYKE number? i know making calls on Skype is cheap

Nothing. VYKE runs ontop of your mobile data or WiFi connection. The caller pays at their U.K. mobile calling rate. For me to call U.K. from anywhere using VYKE it costs 1p per minute. Texts are 4p each.

• Like 1

Yesterday received another SMS that I'm now, once again, registered for voice ID. I 'phoned Customer Services to be told that someone had definitely called a few minutes earlier. I suspect it's the Moldovian hackers again. Santander have removed my internet access and are setting me up again by means of two separate letters which should arrive within the next 14 days. They insist it's not necessary to replace my debit and credit cards. I'm not happy that the hackers must know my current account number/sort code and my Investment Hub account number. However, they can only have the last four digits of my credit card number.  

12 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Yesterday received another SMS that I'm now, once again, registered for voice ID. I 'phoned Customer Services to be told that someone had definitely called a few minutes earlier. I suspect it's the Moldovian hackers again. Santander have removed my internet access and are setting me up again by means of two separate letters which should arrive within the next 14 days. They insist it's not necessary to replace my debit and credit cards. I'm not happy that the hackers must know my current account number/sort code and my Investment Hub account number. However, they can only have the last four digits of my credit card number.  

Can't they stop the voice ID from being used? I've never been asked to set it up

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

Can't they stop the voice ID from being used? I've never been asked to set it up

Good point. I didn't think of that and neither did either of the two staff I spoke to. The hackers must have worked out my Customer ID (as you know it's your date of birth plus three numerics). How they knew my five digit PIN I don't know. They ask for your password when you call. I mixed up characters five/six when I called so failed that. They asked for my date of birth instead. The hackers already knew that so I reckon that's how they are gaining access to my internet account?  

On 8/25/2022 at 12:42 PM, The Fugitive said:

Are talking  about a 5 digit number or 16 digit number. I am with santander but only as my secondary  bank .

Also was it UK or Thai number they contacted  you on?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Good point. I didn't think of that and neither did either of the two staff I spoke to. The hackers must have worked out my Customer ID (as you know it's your date of birth plus three numerics). How they knew my five digit PIN I don't know. They ask for your password when you call. I mixed up characters five/six when I called so failed that. They asked for my date of birth instead. The hackers already knew that so I reckon that's how they are gaining access to my internet account?  

Sounds like the fraudsters are getting closer to gaining access to move money, no idea how, hopefully correcting internet access will fix it. Maybe you used a public computer or public wifi. I only use my phone and sim data now

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Sounds like the fraudsters are getting closer to gaining access to move money, no idea how, hopefully correcting internet access will fix it. Maybe you used a public computer or public wifi. I only use my phone and sim data now

I only used my mobile data connection. I use a laptop and IPhone and also an Android 'phone as back-up. I was warned about the possibility of a downloaded key logger being on any. I immediately formatted my laptop hard drive and installed a Linux distro in place of Windows 10. I have done factory resets on both phones. Unfortunately, I continued to receive warnings such as; 'Unusual log in (or attempted log in) from Russia/Romania'. The hackers apparently were working their way through my bookmarks as I received these warnings from websites such as 'FreeVoipDeal' through to 'Spotify'. I believe they were looking for subscription type accounts which would likely have stored credit card details?

22 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Are talking  about a 5 digit number or 16 digit number. I am with santander but only as my secondary  bank .

Also was it UK or Thai number they contacted  you on?

Sixteen digit numbers would be the number on the front of my cards. Santander don't believe those have been compromised which is why they don't propose to issue me with replacement cards and are only cancelling and resetting my internet access. 

I had already given Santander my 'VYKE' virtual U.K. mobile number. This was the number they insisted upon ringing me back on.  

2 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Sixteen digit numbers would be the number on the front of my cards. Santander don't believe those have been compromised which is why they don't propose to issue me with replacement cards and are only cancelling and resetting my internet access. 

I had already given Santander my 'VYKE' virtual U.K. mobile number. This was the number they insisted upon ringing me back on.  

Thanks. I have a 16 digit number but I also have a 5 digit number too to access  my app instead of finger print.

I am trying to ascertain which number created the issue for you? 16 or 5. The latter would be incredibly easy to duplicate- the former must be unique as it's a  card number.

I stopped  using Santander/ Abbey  when they drive me to distraction so I opened anoint with Nationwide and kept my Santander  account  open  with just one pound  on deposit for years but now I have forgiven them and they are better

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Fugitive said:

Hhhmm. I'm not sure about that last statement.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Thanks. I have a 16 digit number but I also have a 5 digit number too to access  my app instead of finger print.

I am trying to ascertain which number created the issue for you? 16 or 5. The latter would be incredibly easy to duplicate- the former must be unique as it's a  card number.

I stopped  using Santander/ Abbey  when they drive me to distraction so I opened anoint with Nationwide and kept my Santander  account  open  with just one pound  on deposit for years but now I have forgiven them and they are better

Thank you. I was getting confused between the five digit PIN I use for web access when using my laptop. 

I don't know which device was hacked, it could have been my Windows 10 laptop (now running Linux) or my iPhone or Android mobile. All are linked to my Google account where I store my bookmarks and passwords. It would appear that the hackers have taken a 'snapshot' of my bookmarks and passwords?

I too keep my Santander account as backup only. They are the only bank I have that permit me to have an address abroad AND will send renewed/replacement cards to Thailand.

6 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Hhhmm. I'm not sure about that last statement.

On Santander website, only the last four digits of my Zero Credit Card are visible. Also, as it's my backup credit card only, I've never used/stored this card for any online subscriptions.

3 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Thank you. I was getting confused between the five digit PIN I use for web access when using my laptop. 

I don't know which device was hacked, it could have been my Windows 10 laptop (now running Linux) or my iPhone or Android mobile. All are linked to my Google account where I store my bookmarks and passwords. It would appear that the hackers have taken a 'snapshot' of my bookmarks and passwords?

I too keep my Santander account as backup only. They are the only bank I have that permit me to have an address abroad AND will send renewed/replacement cards to Thailand.

Hhmnn...I didn't know the last bit.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

On Santander website, only the last four digits of my Zero Credit Card are visible. Also, as it's my backup credit card only, I've never used/stored this card for any online subscriptions.

Assuming it's Cybercrime not basic  over the shoulder  humint  or a combination  of both

Perhaps  scrap browser bases password  storage and use a password  manager like free pass OR

Write your PW down by hand on paper annotated and abbrevated store draw...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Assuming it's Cybercrime not basic  over the shoulder  humint  or a combination  of both

Perhaps  scrap browser bases password  storage and use a password  manager like free pass OR

Write your PW down by hand on paper annotated and abbrevated store draw...

Good idea thanks. It does appear to have been my Google Account that could have been cracked (certainly was the information contained within it).