Apart from a credit card & cash, what other ways are there to pay over the counter at 7eleven, Central etc?

MaiDong

Just now, MaiDong said:

Me too, I'm asking specifically about over-the-counter payments, which I have been unable to do with most previous ATM cards issued to me by around 8 banks in 20 years here, thanks.

I am talking about OTC payments with a DEBIT CARD either transfer cash or stick  in machine requesting pin a card reader.  At supermarket BigC, Friendship, 711, and all other shops and Bars! Perhaps  it's new but I haven't noticed  it

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MaiDong said:

Do you use your Krungsri debit card to pay for things in 7eleven?

You realise there are different types of debit card? A shop may accept Mastercard linked  ones but not UnionPay

Edited by alanrchase
Spelling
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That's interesting, I asked at my local 7-11 and was told debit cards weren't acceptable.  Must try again.

Sure, but I somehow doubt that every 7/11 employee is fully knowledgeable about this subject.

19 hours ago, MaiDong said:

Me too, I'm asking specifically about over-the-counter payments, which I have been unable to do with most previous ATM cards issued to me by around 8 banks in 20 years here, thanks.

What do you mean by ATM cards? You mean cards for only using by ATM not for shopping? Maybe that is the problem? I have not seen them for long time but I think they still exist.

Edited by Captor

20 hours ago, MaiDong said:

MASSIVE!

You know what I mean though, in many other modern countries payment is made so simple, I mean, even HERE, with the ability to use QR payments almost everywhere, even the smallest stall-holder accepts instant transferred payments, but Makro? nope. 'We only accept cards from the banks whom we bank with', nobs.

And yet people still shop there cuz there aren't any other options and they know it. Nobs indeed!

As if by magic, Krungsri just notified me that I could apply for a card through the app(the service was immediately unavailable however), but I got these screenshots to share;

Screenshot_20220828-130158.thumb.jpg.70750ea371dd880b6eee836887d93bfd.jpg

Screenshot_20220828-130357.thumb.jpg.b5e86c8fd9544c2a0972f3cc29e230cb.jpg

Screenshot_20220828-130431.thumb.jpg.e8b7c20c1d048fd1e65696b5f5594688.jpg

When I used our credit card at 7eleven I just tapped the card reader, I'm assuming I'll be doing the same with one of these cards, as they mention in the 'Features'.

I think it's been so long since I had a debit card that this feature simply wasn't available then, which may have been part of the catalyst for us getting a credit card, but I'm glad this is available now, as the B480 it'll cost over 3 years is minute compared to the amount our credit card was costing us!

12 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

I have never been able to pay with a debit card in 7/11, only credit is accepted, and I have always wondered what this policy was all about. Other shops such as Lotus (even the small ones), accept them.

This is the problem, the inconsistencies.

Does your debit card have both the contactless & the chip on it? I ask because I think if you were to just tell the counter staff that you were paying by card, they would push a button on their screen, tell you to either insert or tap your card on the reader, and you'd be away. As it doesn't matter to them if you're using a credit or debit card, as both have contactless & chip.

1 minute ago, MaiDong said:

This is the problem, the inconsistencies.

Does your debit card have both the contactless & the chip on it? I ask because I think if you were to just tell the counter staff that you were paying by card, they would push a button on their screen, tell you to either insert or tap your card on the reader, and you'd be away. As it doesn't matter to them if you're using a credit or debit card, as both have contactless & chip.

It does, yeah, I don't think this is actually the issue. I recall a couple of times when they specifically asked if it was debit or credit. I even asked if I could scan in some kind of way but they said no, only cash or credit card. Maybe the owner of the shop can decide on these things and it's not a standard thing. Maybe they are encouraged by banks to only accept credit cards as they are more profitable.

2 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

It does, yeah, I don't think this is actually the issue. I recall a couple of times when they specifically asked if it was debit or credit. I even asked if I could scan in some kind of way but they said no, only cash or credit card. Maybe the owner of the shop can decide on these things and it's not a standard thing. Maybe they are encouraged by banks to only accept credit cards as they are more profitable.

I hadn't thought of that, it's highly possible, especially as the following quote from another poster says they use their Krungsri debit card in 7eleven...

On 8/25/2022 at 1:13 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

Yes. Everybody does. And at the supermarket.  Am I missing something

• Like 1