Apart from a credit card & cash, what other ways are there to pay over the counter at 7eleven, Central etc?

MaiDong

We recently cancelled our Krungsri credit card as it was costing us money to use our own money, which is totally nuts, and another story entirely.

But my question here is what other payment methods are there available to use over the counter? I know 7eleven has it's own payment sustem but I'd prefer to use my own card to pay from, as opposed to loading money onto an irreversible payment service.

We use Krungsri & TTB, but I mainly use Krungsri, so would love to know if a basic Visa debit card from Krunsgri can be used to pay with over the counter?

I haven't had a debit card for years, I lost my Krungsri card and never bothered replacing it as I used cardless withdrawals but they're not always convenient, and if I'm somewhere without cash it can be a pain in the back side finding a Krungsri ATM to use 'cardless'.

Truemoney Wallet and PromptPay - both QR based.

Even our local songthaw has QR payment. Two fares "long trip" and "short trip", scan the relevant QR whilst riding, show the driver the confirmation when you get off.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies, but you all mention the things I said in the OP that I don't want to use - Truemoney Wallet, 7eleven app etc.

And I'm not talking about QR payments - I use them for almost everything else.

I'm asking about over the counter places such as 7eleven, Central etc, as I said in my OP.

11 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That's interesting, I asked at my local 7-11 and was told debit cards weren't acceptable.  Must try again.

It is, as I've had the same response too.

2 minutes ago, MaiDong said:
16 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That's interesting, I asked at my local 7-11 and was told debit cards weren't acceptable.  Must try again.

It is, as I've had the same response too.

Sorry, which response, debit cards are acceptable or they're not?

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I often use my Bangkok Bank ATM / Bank card (which is also Mastercard Debit) to pay at 7-11... 

Are you sure that you use a debit card, not a credit card?   

I don't understand what a "Bangkok Bank ATM / Bank card (which is also Mastercard Debit)" is, did you mean "I often use my debit card to pay at 7-11"?   The OP and I have had our debit cards declined.

Maybe 7-11's payment options have been updated recently.

2 minutes ago, MaiDong said:

Makro irritates me, they only accept credit cards from certain banks, it's so arrogant.

Just accept all cards, it'll hardly eat into your profits, you're billionaires for eternal lifetimes!

you got some big 'ol chip on your shoulder don't ya Bubba ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I recently realized Makro accepts SCB QR code payment. That was always an issue for me, having to make sure I had enough cash on hand. No more - yay!

I pay with my Bangkok Bank APP (via QR code) at Makro... and yes, as the following poster pointed out, they only accept certain credit cards (SCB credit card I think).

I went to pay with a QR code at a restaurant the other day - I was told they don’t accept that form of payment. When I asked why I was told the Bank takes 5% of the transaction.... 

That seems a huge amount - I wonder if the restaurant had it right. 

I paid by credit card instead as these days I rarely carry much cash and prefer to hold on to cash incase I need it ( for a taxi etc ).... 

• Confused 1

Just now, Liverpool Lou said:

Probably just cards issued by their own bankers and that could be a condition imposed on them by their banks.

Which paints an even more bleak picture - that even Makro(CP!) is held by the scrotum by the banks.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I use  my Krungsri  debit card in different ways card reader and money transfer and of course you  can use a telephone app.

Do you use your Krungsri debit card to pay for things in 7eleven?

22 minutes ago, MaiDong said:

Some other people can't use their debit cards at 7.

Just to clarify: You use your Krungsri DEBIT card at 7eleven? Not your Krungsri CREDIT card?

Would you mind showing me which card it is please? I don't mean your actual card, I mean a link to the Krungsri website where they're offering a debit card that can be used to make over-the-counter payments at places like 7eleven etc.

Is it this? 'Thai Standard Chip Card' https://www.krungsri.com/en/personal/card/krungsri-debit-card/chip-card

It's just the debit card they  gave me. Its says  privileged  member

Its not a cash card

Not credit card

Just  the normal krung Sri debit card

Just now, The Hammer2021 said:

It's just the debit card they  gave me. Its says  privileged  member

Its not a cash card

Not credit card

Just  the normal krung Sri debit card

Things may have changed then, I'll pop into the bank tomorrow and see what they say...

25 minutes ago, MaiDong said:

Some other people can't use their debit cards at 7.

Just to clarify: You use your Krungsri DEBIT card at 7eleven? Not your Krungsri CREDIT card?

Would you mind showing me which card it is please? I don't mean your actual card, I mean a link to the Krungsri website where they're offering a debit card that can be used to make over-the-counter payments at places like 7eleven etc.

Is it this? 'Thai Standard Chip Card' https://www.krungsri.com/en/personal/card/krungsri-debit-card/chip-card

I've never  been  to a Krungsri  lol   website.

I live in Thailand- I go to my bank where I joined in 2006 in Pattaya

I do all my business  with my app,  on-line bank or at my branch

Never been to Krungsri  website

Just now, The Hammer2021 said:

Good luck. I even pay with Krungsri  phone  app

Me too, I'm asking specifically about over-the-counter payments, which I have been unable to do with most previous ATM cards issued to me by around 8 banks in 20 years here, thanks.

• Sad 1