Might This End the Tattoo Fad?

Walker88

An observation:

The one that has tattoos in places he cannot even see himself. 

What possible personal enjoyment is there of a piece of art on his back that requires him to constantly remove his shirt in public? 

So that his attention seeking maybe enhanced by all those that stop and exclaim, "how beautiful and cool" 

Edited by ChrisKC
Typo
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

Tattoos are messages to other people.

Look at ME! 

Knew a bar girl who had 'your name' tattooed on her bum. Get in conversation with a customer- what you name? - Dave -ooh I got your name tattooed on my bum. Really can I see it , yeah of course if we can go you hotel etc etc. 

18 minutes ago, pomchop said:

I have always thought thai girls have some of the most beautiful skin i have ever seen.  Covering that beauty up with tattoos is a damn shame in my book....and yes i know it's their skin.

I go along with that and all the OP says, have seen plenty of beautiful Thai girls with tats spoiling their perfect skin and looks. Seen a few ugly ones too who have gone and made themselves uglier.

• Like 1

Tats. are not for me , once years ago I thought of getting a small one in the small of my back , silly really as I couldn't see it anyway. On others just a little tat here or there 'tis their choice.

Now what I think looks dreadful are those black disc ear rings and even worse pony tails on blokes , yes up to them  . I was looking at a video a couple of days ago and a youngish guy was bald except a dreadlock ponytail hanging down nearly to his waist.

1 hour ago, Walker88 said:

Yes, opinions are like buttholes: everybody has one. In fact, that is the entire point of Forums. Tatts, on the other hand, are a choice, and as a member of a Forum I can offer an opinion on them. Sure it will offend some people, just as an opinion about politics or religion or smoking will offend some people. Welcome to the world of internet Forums.

I don't expect to change anyone's mind, nor do I care to. I wrote an 'opinion', which is to say I followed the point and purpose of a Forum. I see you have offered over 7000 opinions as a member of this forum, yet you insinuate I cannot offer this one about tatts.

Let's be frank about this, the odd tattoo on someone is nothing, but people who cover themselves in them definitely have something missing between their ears. It is nothing more than self disfigurement.

Now let's see all the saddo's from the "not right in the head" brigade. ????

• Like 2

4 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

Tattoos are a form of art just like paintings. Tattoos have also come a loooooong way since the early days, especially over the past 10 years. There's tattoo artists that can do photo realistic stuff that's absolutely amazing. Some people have their art on the wall, others have it in their skin. To each their own. 

Now there is 3D Tattooing

Tattoos Design Ideas: 32 Best Realistic 3D Tattoos Design Ideas for Men And Women

60 Best 3D Tattoos - Meanings, Ideas and Designs for 2016

• Like 2

Personally I don't think tatts make anyone look better, on the contrary in some cases it looks like the work of a schoolkid. But everyone is free to choose the risks in life. Joining traffic in Thailand and smoking are by far riskier than having some ink under your skin.

5 minutes ago, Dirk Z said:

Personally I don't think tatts make anyone look better, on the contrary in some cases it looks like the work of a schoolkid. But everyone is free to choose the risks in life. Joining traffic in Thailand and smoking are by far riskier than having some ink under your skin.

So this looks like a school kid did this in your view, then if so I must say that the school kid that did this has one hell of a future ahead for him/her

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

So this looks like a school kid did this in your view, then if so I must say that the school kid that did this has one hell of a future ahead for him/her

You may have noted that I did not refer to a specific image and just mentioned that "in some cases" the work was not very professional. Go to a bar and you may see what I mean.

15 hours ago, Orinoco said:

i think most tattoos look real good 30 years later. :giggle:

A pair of Blue Tits tattooed on a pair of tits will look like vultures waiting for a meal fifty years later. My father had a tattoo on his arm from his navy days. My mother had a scar on her forearm where a tattoo had been removed. She never revealed what it was, or how it had been removed. This was in the 1920s. All she would say is that she tried to cover it up when at the meal table, but when her father found out he beat her with his belt. Cruel drastic action. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Dirk Z said:

You may have noted that I did not refer to a specific image and just mentioned that "in some cases" the work was not very professional. Go to a bar and you may see what I mean.

Since I am not a bar goer, I will take your word for it.  I misread your "in some cases", my apologies.

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

I respect your right to have a free opinion, however will disagree with you regarding tattoos being a fade.

Fad, fade, or faded.......I think the fad fades, but the tatts are forever. Anyway, I'll fade that fad (fade is an old trader term for taking a position against the current market trend or against what a market guru suggests doing)

As I wrote in my original post, tatts were fringe. Bikers had them. My grandad had an anchor on his arm he got during the war when he served on a naval vessel, but it wasn't normally on display. Suddenly most bargirls have them, young Westerners are adding them, and even elderly expats in Thailand are getting inked. It screams FAD, like shoulder length hair during the Hippie years or the Saab 900 during the Yuppie years or heavily padded shoulders on women's fashion during the years of strident militant feminism. Like those former 'must haves' the tatt fad will fade away.

(Just having fun. I know the 'e' was unintended.)

Edited by Walker88
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Gandtee said:

A pair of Blue Tits tattooed on a pair of tits will look like vultures waiting for a meal fifty years later. My father had a tattoo on his arm from his navy days. My mother had a scar on her forearm where a tattoo had been removed. She never revealed what it was, or how it had been removed. This was in the 1920s. All she would say is that she tried to cover it up when at the meal table, but when her father found out he beat her with his belt. Cruel drastic action. 

I hope the removal was for a true tattoo and not a holocaust number she had inked on her by certain individuals at the time.  My grandfather, until he died always tried to keep his identification number covered up, while my Grandmother proudly displayed the one she had been tattooed with to show she was a true survivor, unlike her parents who had perished at that regimes hands.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I hope the removal was for a true tattoo and not a holocaust number she had inked on her by certain individuals at the time.  My grandfather, until he died always tried to keep his identification number covered up, while my Grandmother proudly displayed the one she had been tattooed with to show she was a true survivor, unlike her parents who had perished at that regimes hands.

No. Fortunately she would not have been subject to that savagery in England. This was in the 20s not the 40s.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Fad, fade, or faded.......I think the fad fades, but the tatts are forever.

As I wrote in my original post, tatts were fringe. Bikers had them. My grandad had an anchor on his arm his got during the war when he served, but it wasn't normally on display. Suddenly most bargirls have them, young Westerners are adding them, and even elderly expats in Thailand are getting inked. It screams FAD, like shoulder length hair during the Hippie years or the Saab 900 during the Yuppie years or heavily padded shoulders on women's fashion during the years of strident militant feminism. Like those former 'must haves' the tatt fad will fade away.

(Just having fun. I know the 'e' was unintended.)

As I said opinions are like....everyone has one, and for that I agree to disagree with your view.  My dad had tattoos from his military years, his father had his from his years in the Navy during WW2 to memorialize his time serving in the battle of Guadalcanal and for those lost.  

4 minutes ago, huangnon said:

Personally not a fan of ink or needles. I don't mind what other people do to their bodies though.

Girls with the discreet tatts are quite a turn-on, but I dislike the heavily-tattooed look. Live and let live.

+1

9 hours ago, Walker88 said:

And having the heart pulled out of your 6 year old daughter had religious and spiritual significance to Aztecs. Gods, however, are a foolish superstition, so whatever done on 'their' behalf is a colossal waste of time and effort, and offers nothing except it feeds silly beliefs.

Tattoos are absolutely a fad in most societies now, far removed even from their superstition. Ten years ago, few Thai women had tatts. Maybe some had the usual left shoulder tatt, but most had clean skin. That they don't now = fad. Fads, die off. In five years people will be embarrassed that got Maori warrior tatts or tribal tatts, of "F U" tatts.

None of your business what other people do with their own body. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

That's true but this is a forum and hence an opinion piece to which everyone is entitled to add their opinion, within reasonable bounds. You may or may not like differing opinions, that's too bad, but nonetheless it is exactly that, an opinion piece.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Walker88 said:

And having the heart pulled out of your 6 year old daughter had religious and spiritual significance to Aztecs. Gods, however, are a foolish superstition, so whatever done on 'their' behalf is a colossal waste of time and effort, and offers nothing except it feeds silly beliefs.

Tattoos are absolutely a fad in most societies now, far removed even from their superstition. Ten years ago, few Thai women had tatts. Maybe some had the usual left shoulder tatt, but most had clean skin. That they don't now = fad. Fads, die off. In five years people will be embarrassed that got Maori warrior tatts or tribal tatts, of "F U" tatts.

They are not a fad anymore than clothing design. They are part of human culture. To compare voluntary body art with ripping the heart of a child is specious. It's not just a false analogy, it not false equivalence. It's not even a comparison. It's absurd. It's extremely  absurd.

Tattoos - (lack of) intelligence indicators

Ever notice how heavily tattooed people wear clothing that reveals their bad body art? People will walk around Bangkok practically half naked so everyone can see their stupidity.

It's not like a degree or acquiring a serious skill. Being immensely talented at something. Pay your money, pick the flash and leave stained for life.

Injecting ink in your body. Cancer you say? Who would have thunk it? Darwin awards.

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

It's not.

I think the problem in 2022 is that I'm supposed to accept the person inked up as normal. While they are probably totally normal it does point to poor judgment.

Okay, one or even two medium sized tattoos... Your body caked in them? Maybe not

• Like 1