Might This End the Tattoo Fad?

Walker88

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

Far too many judgemental people on here, not your body, not your skin, not your business.

Hear Hear

And hazard a guess that they were mostly white-picket-fence, law abiding, 25 years and a gold watch 'citizens'

17 hours ago, Bobtheblob said:

Bacon is supposed to give you cancer too but how many ppl stopped eating it because of that. 

I stopped eating it because of the cruel treatment of the animals producing it. Utterly disgusting.

1 hour ago, mikeymike100 said:

I have seen some really beautiful girls but absolutely ruined by huge tattoos on their leg back and arms.

You don't put a bumper sticker on a Ferrari!

To me it adds to the beauty and gives them a mystique.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BonMot said:

Tattoos - (lack of) intelligence indicators

Ever notice how heavily tattooed people wear clothing that reveals their bad body art? People will walk around Bangkok practically half naked so everyone can see their stupidity.

It's not like a degree or acquiring a serious skill. Being immensely talented at something. Pay your money, pick the flash and leave stained for life.

Injecting ink in your body. Cancer you say? Who would have thunk it? Darwin awards.

So another hater, must have grown up being close minded and not seeing outside the box you created for yourself.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, BonMot said:

It's not.

I think the problem in 2022 is that I'm supposed to accept the person inked up as normal. While they are probably totally normal it does point to poor judgment.

Okay, one or even two medium sized tattoos... Your body caked in them? Maybe not

If you met me on the street, you would have no idea I had tattoo's, so your view is tainted by a few bad examples that make you shake your head and believe all done in poor judgement.  Everyone who has a tattoo or more than one has their own reasoning and it has a special meaning to them, sure many are tasteless, but then if that is what they like I do not criticize or call them out for it.  Hard to believe that someone in a prestigious CEO position would have tattoo's, well you might want to consider there are many.....enjoy your narrow views. BTW Steve Jobs has 4 or more tattoo's, bet you never saw them either.

https://bodyartguru.com/famous-ceos-tattoos/

• Like 1

There are some outrageously narrow minded and judgementally naive and foolish comments on this thread. 

I don’t have Tattoo’s.. neither does my Wife...  they’re not for me, I guess they’re not for her either. 

Not many of my close friends have tattoo’s either.....   That said, I think no differently of those who do have tattoos because they have tattoos than I do of those who don't..... 

I have seen tattoos that look awful, I have seen tattoos that look incredible - there is a whole spectrum, so to judge the ‘whole’ when the issue is so very multifaceted is somewhat flawed in the first place. 

While its impossible not to form judgements when first meeting someone the fact that someone has a tattoo should play a role in impacting that initial judgment no more or less than the clothes a person wears, the hairstyle they carry etc... 

Anyone forming or carrying a lasting or firm opinion of another person (either positive or negative) based solely on them having a tattoo is an utter moron, it is far more likely the character flaws make that judgment fool a far less likeable, respectable, admirable character....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

BTW Steve Jobs has 4 or more tattoo's, bet you never saw them either

Well he's been dead for 11 years so unlikely many people will see them now.????

Edited by Excel
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BonMot said:

Tattoos - (lack of) intelligence indicators

Ever notice how heavily tattooed people wear clothing that reveals their bad body art? People will walk around Bangkok practically half naked so everyone can see their stupidity.

It's not like a degree or acquiring a serious skill. Being immensely talented at something. Pay your money, pick the flash and leave stained for life.

Injecting ink in your body. Cancer you say? Who would have thunk it? Darwin awards.

Comments such as the above are a far better ‘indicator of intelligence’, or the lack thereof !!

You have the luxury of remaining quiet and not making any comment which may lend to a minor element of doubt !!! :giggle:

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

None of your business what other people do with their own body. 

Absolutely true.

It's also absolutely true that we all have opinions and we are allowed to express them. You are welcome to disagree.

By the way, I'm also not fond of guys who look 8 months pregnant because they lack the discipline or self control to take care of the one body they get, and with which they can do whatever they want. I'm a nasty, opinionated SOB.

Now this might come as a surprise, but I have met many people who wonder what the heck they were thinking when they inked up. One has a large middle finger salute on her tricep. Another has "F U" spelled out in full on her hamstrings. A third has a gun on her belly pointing to her groin, and she hates it. A dear friend looks as if she had a box of stickers, tossed them in the air, and got inked wherever they landed. She has been trying to find new work but says she is told by Thai employers her tatts disqualify her. Yes, that isn't fair, but it is currently how Thai society looks at folks who are heavily tatted.

I do not share my views of tatts with anyone who chose to get them, save for on a Forum whose PURPOSE is to post opinions. That being said, I think it might be of benefit if those in the market to permanently disfigure themselves (my opinion) due to a fad should think about 1) what they will feel about it when they inevitably age or have different tastes, and 2) that it could cause mortal harm.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, seedy said:

ancient Greeks who believed tattoos were a sin against the gods for defiling the beauty the gods gave a person.

I know something else the Ancient Greeks were famous for.

Hazard a guess as to what it is ?

Strawman

2 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Absolutely true.

It's also absolutely true that we all have opinions and we are allowed to express them. You are welcome to disagree.

By the way, I'm also not fond of guys who look 8 months pregnant because they lack the discipline or self control to take care of the one body they get, and with which they can do whatever they want. I'm a nasty, opinionated SOB.

Now this might come as a surprise, but I have met many people who wonder what the heck they were thinking when they inked up. One has a large middle finger salute on her tricep. Another has "F U" spelled out in full on her hamstrings. A third has a gun on her belly pointing to her groin, and she hates it. A dear friend looks as if she had a box of stickers, tossed them in the air, and got inked wherever they landed. She has been trying to find new work but says she is told by Thai employers her tatts disqualify her. Yes, that isn't fair, but it is currently how Thai society looks at folks who are heavily tatted.

I do not share my views of tatts with anyone who chose to get them, save for on a Forum whose PURPOSE is to post opinions. That being said, I think it might be of benefit if those in the market to permanently disfigure themselves (my opinion) due to a fad should think about 1) what they will feel about it when they inevitably age or have different tastes, and 2) that it could cause mortal harm.

The unfortunate issue I see with your OP, is that you believe it is a Fad, where in reality it is far from it as Tattoo's have been around for thousands of years.  So are cars and motorbikes a FAD?  I know that coloring ones hair green, purple and so on is a FAD, and those colors change all of the time.  As a Stylist and Colorist my Gf's hair has been many different colors, sometimes multiple colors at the same time.  She looks at it as advertisement for her ability to color as she has been asked in the past many times who colored her hair.  When she indicated she colored her hair herself and had a salon, she ended up making a new customer.  With Covid and not doing much coloring her hair has returned to its original brown color.

You will say @Walker88 that a tattoo is permanent and colored hair will eventually grow out, or can be recolored, well yes very true, but then new technologies exist for those wishing to remove a tattoo they no longer want......My tattoo's are only going to vanish when I leave this earth and the arsonist running the Wat barbeque (Crematorium) lights up and turns me into ash....

3 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Far too many judgemental people on here, not your body, not your skin, not your business.

We are free to have opinions as to the aesthetics of anything. In fact, we cannot not have an opinion about such things, and anyone who says they have no opinion of such things is lying. That isn't judgemental.

Judgemental would be if one developed a view of a person's intelligence or value as a person simply because of what they chose to do to their body, but to think something looks good or looks dreadful is something we subconsciously feel.

Edited by Walker88
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

But people should still be allowed to voice their opinions on tattoos, as with certain clothes, hairstyles, piercings, etc., right?

However, what would be out of order would be to 
personally attack an individual for their tattoos, clothing, hairstyles, etc. Unless, of course, they asked what a person thought, in which case they'd have to take the answer on the chin if they didn't like it. But your response suggests that the topic and public opinions on tattoos should not be open for discussion and that people should keep their thoughts to themselves. 

Well, I think tattoos, especially on older women, look awful, trashy even, and I should be allowed to say that out loud. But, of course, others will disagree, and that's also fine.

If anything needs to stop, it's the growing and toxic cancel culture.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Hey, I am scared to get a tattoo so want to increase my self-esteem by criticizing others who have. It makes me feel superior. 

Very silly comment. Scared?  Is that also why I choose never to smoke or pierce my nose or nether regions?

I am of the personal opinion that tattoos look horrible and deface an often lovely body. I am also of the opinion it is a fad, and a fad whose day will come to an end.

At the same time I understand it is a personal choice, and all are welcome to eff up their body if they so choose. I don't feel superior to the tatted, I just think they look dreadful.

Should I look at something I think is banal, common, and butt ugly, but force myself to pretend it's really so unique and stunning and just adds so much aesthetic value to a person?

On 8/26/2022 at 6:45 PM, Walker88 said:

How anyone would think injected dye into the skin might not cause some sort of issue is more of a surprise than this new research. Is that 'special memory' injected into one's body worth dying for?

Personally I do not care what one does to their own body.  For me, our societies worst acceptance is allowing any person over 16 to drive a car or motorcycle and burn the fuel that pollutes the air that I have to breathe when outside walking.  Plus the dangers of getting hit as a pedestrian or bicyclist from speeding, recklessness, or drunkenness of drivers in 3000 lb automobiles

That is wrong on so may levels if you think about it.  What other activity endangers everyone by doing it?  Deep thoughts ????

• Confused 1