Might This End the Tattoo Fad?

Walker88

3 hours ago, Walker88 said:

And having the heart pulled out of your 6 year old daughter had religious and spiritual significance to Aztecs. Gods, however, are a foolish superstition, so whatever done on 'their' behalf is a colossal waste of time and effort, and offers nothing except it feeds silly beliefs.

Tattoos are absolutely a fad in most societies now, far removed even from their superstition. Ten years ago, few Thai women had tatts. Maybe some had the usual left shoulder tatt, but most had clean skin. That they don't now = fad. Fads, die off. In five years people will be embarrassed that got Maori warrior tatts or tribal tatts, of "F U" tatts.

Well don't get one then.

I personally have decided not to give a **** about them from now on.

Any harm in you doing the same?

Go on....... try it!

Edited by Enoon
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Walker88 said:

Just know the risks----of being stamped with yesterday's fad or---according to this new research---a cancer victim.

Make you sure you have clean underwear on when going out, because you just don't know when you might get hit by a bus, cough, cough, oh then there's Covid, and....and.....and

Go outside, look at the clear blue sky, the greenery around you, suck in the fresh air and enjoy life because eventually you will be moving on and no point in worrying because we all have an expiry date man.

Life's for living, not worrying, then we die, Amen.

13 hours ago, Walker88 said:

ancient Greeks who believed tattoos were a sin against the gods for defiling the beauty the gods gave a person.

I know something else the Ancient Greeks were famous for.

Hazard a guess as to what it is ? And it is still going on, and many people Whine and Snivel and Moan about it to this day.

I fail to see the relevance.

Do what you want - let others do the same.

• Like 2

Certainly hope this news might deter some.  I haven't seen one person that looked better with a tattoo.   Several times I've looked at people and thought they must have been in a terrible motorcycle accident that horribly scarred their legs.   How awful to have to walk around looking like that.  Then looked closer and saw it was tattoos.  Bad on men, much worse on women.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, seedy said:

If I said topics like this are useless, that was started by you, what would be your response. ?

And if you really believe your opinion matters to those that have, or will have tattoos - you are sadly mistaken.

Want a tat - get one. Don't want a tat - don't get one

Yours is one opinion of billions.

Yes, opinions are like buttholes: everybody has one. In fact, that is the entire point of Forums. Tatts, on the other hand, are a choice, and as a member of a Forum I can offer an opinion on them. Sure it will offend some people, just as an opinion about politics or religion or smoking will offend some people. Welcome to the world of internet Forums.

I don't expect to change anyone's mind, nor do I care to. I wrote an 'opinion', which is to say I followed the point and purpose of a Forum. I see you have offered over 7000 opinions as a member of this forum, yet you insinuate I cannot offer this one about tatts.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Make you sure you have clean underwear on when going out, because you just don't know when you might get hit by a bus, cough, cough, oh then there's Covid, and....and.....and

Go outside, look at the clear blue sky, the greenery around you, suck in the fresh air and enjoy life because eventually you will be moving on and no point in worrying because we all have an expiry date man.

Life's for living, not worrying, then we die, Amen.

Funny how this topic brings out odd comments.

In point of fact I don't really care that much one way or the other about tatts. I'll never get one and I do think most look really silly, but only occasionally do I give them any thought. As the fad picked up I obviously notice them more, to some extent have gotten used to seeing them, but remain of the opinion---that's the key word on a Forum: OPINION---that nobody looks better with a tatt. I have a good friend who keeps adding to her 'art' as time passes. What was once on each thigh and on one arm, has morphed into both arms, her chest, her entire back, one hand, and even her butt. Underneath all of that 'art', she has, or had, astonishingly beautiful skin. Sadly---to me, not her---it's mostly all hidden now. I remain just as fond of her as always, as what's inside is what makes her her.

Tatts aren't the driving issue in today's world, but Forums exist to elicit opinions, so I offered one after reading an article on medical research noting the carcinogenic nature of many of the inks and solutions used in the process. It struck me that there are young people, caught in the fad, who are going to die because they just had to have that special something on their arm or leg or back or wherever. For something so banal, that seems a shame.

By the way, I do always wear freshly laundered boxers. Heck, I even iron mine, fastidious type that I am. Pima or Sea Island cotton only, too. One never knows when that bus or meteor is coming to take me out, and I want to be as fresh as possible when it happens.

Edited by Walker88
  • Haha 2

I agree with everything the OP says. I have a fair few tattoos and wish that I'd never had them done. I also concur that they don't improve anyone's appearance, especially when they get older. They look dreadful on women, especially the larger tattoos. 
I still don't know why I got mine, I was young and in the army and probably wanted to go with the flow at the time. Alcohol also played a large part in it.
At 78 I guess it's too late to worry about it now.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

I'll never get one and I do think most look really silly, but only occasionally do I give them any thought. As the fad picked up I obviously notice them more, to some extent have gotten used to seeing them, but remain of the opinion---that's the key word on a Forum: OPINION---that nobody looks better with a tatt.

I respect your right to have a free opinion, however will disagree with you regarding tattoos being a fade.

I get your point but tattoos are a matter of personal choice. God forbid, that I ever live in a totalitarian state that would prevent people from being tattooed. 

I confess I don't have a tattoo. When I was young they weren't fashionable and now it is much too late in life to get one done. Apologies to all those at the wrong end of life who are tattooed but I think they lose their visual appeal on wrinkled skin. 

A far greater concern for most of us pale skinned expats is the risk of skin cancer from exposure to the sun's rays rather than the risk from ink from an aged tattoo. 

Oh, - - - - and one last point, the sweetest lady in the world has but one, a small scorpion tattoo on the back of her left hand, just below the thumb, and I love it. ????