Might This End the Tattoo Fad?

Walker88

12 hours ago, Walker88 said:

The vast majority of tatts are 'art' like tigers painted on black velvet or dogs playing poker are art, despite coming 'a loooooong way'. They aren't the Pieta. What makes true art special is its uniqueness as well as the skill involved in imagining/creating it. There was one Michelangelo; within a ten minute walk from my condo there are twenty tatt shops, all producing the same banal stuff. Also, get tired of a painting and one can simply remove it. Tatts, or their scars, are forever.

Yes, to each his own. I suspect lots of folks got caught in the fad and will come to wish they never inked up once the fad goes away or the person ages and the tatt migrates due to sagging skin. Now seeing that the inking itself is carcinogenic just makes it worse. Is a fad worth dying for? Maybe for some it is.

Just because you don't like most tattoos doesn't mean they're not art. Having said that, the really good artists that do the great stuff are like 600+ bucks an hour and not everyone has that kind of cash, so they go with what they can afford. 

Also, the tats you're referring to are not representative of what is possible today. You'd be amazed!!!

By the way, Chinese and Japanese art looks very much like tattoos because that's where the Chinese and Japanese tattoos got their style from. You wouldn't find anyone, besides yourself maybe, who wouldn't consider that art.

Edited by pacovl46

1 hour ago, pacovl46 said:

Just because you don't like most tattoos doesn't mean they're not art. Having said that, the really good artists that do the great stuff are like 600+ bucks an hour and not everyone has that kind of cash, so they go with what they can afford. 

Also, the tats you're referring to are not representative of what is possible today. You'd be amazed!!!

By the way, Chinese and Japanese art looks very much like tattoos because that's where the Chinese and Japanese tattoos got their style from. You wouldn't find anyone, besides yourself maybe, who wouldn't consider that art.

Whereas British tattoos originating in the navy/ merchant  marine tradition were to enable corpses lost at sea to be identified and the gold ring in the mariner's ear  to pay for  a Christian  burial.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, jesimps said:

I still don't know why I got mine, I was young and in the army and probably wanted to go with the flow at the time. Alcohol also played a large part in it.
At 78 I guess it's too late to worry about it now.

But wait. You got your tats 55-60 years ago! How can that even be true? Its a FAD remember? Like mohawks and rainbow dyed hair.

Walker, how could this FAD be getting stronger 55-60 yrs after Jes got his batch of ink?

Edited by mikebike
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

You should have the guts to tell your tattooed "friends" 

Why should I upset them? Most of them already regret getting tatts, so why rub salt in the wounds?

Is isn't 'guts' that stops me; it's trying to be polite.

Your comment is silly.

For people who think their tatts look good, it they ask, I tell them tatts aren't for me and I don't think they make anyone look better. For people who already regret what they did, I remain quiet. No point in telling them what they already know full well.

Edited by Walker88
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Walker88 said:

Absolutely true.

It's also absolutely true that we all have opinions and we are allowed to express them. You are welcome to disagree.

By the way, I'm also not fond of guys who look 8 months pregnant because they lack the discipline or self control to take care of the one body they get, and with which they can do whatever they want. I'm a nasty, opinionated SOB.

Now this might come as a surprise, but I have met many people who wonder what the heck they were thinking when they inked up. One has a large middle finger salute on her tricep. Another has "F U" spelled out in full on her hamstrings. A third has a gun on her belly pointing to her groin, and she hates it. A dear friend looks as if she had a box of stickers, tossed them in the air, and got inked wherever they landed. She has been trying to find new work but says she is told by Thai employers her tatts disqualify her. Yes, that isn't fair, but it is currently how Thai society looks at folks who are heavily tatted.

I do not share my views of tatts with anyone who chose to get them, save for on a Forum whose PURPOSE is to post opinions. That being said, I think it might be of benefit if those in the market to permanently disfigure themselves (my opinion) due to a fad should think about 1) what they will feel about it when they inevitably age or have different tastes, and 2) that it could cause mortal harm.

I really like the way you presented your argument to the debate…    I don’t agree with all, but the contribution carries a matter of fact reality usually circumnavigated by political correctness yet remained bang on point….   

a tough topic if we’re honest..   

Jebus Christ, what an absolutely ridiculous and downright laughable topic. Yes, I bet the "news" that some inks might be dangerous (which has been know for a few decades by now) will end the 5000 year old "fad" that is tattoos.

You're just like the people who take very chance they get to loudly proclaim that they would never deign to eat at McDonald's. Good for you, you're extremely special and a step above everyone else.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I really like the way you presented your argument to the debate…    I don’t agree with all, but the contribution carries a matter of fact reality usually circumnavigated by political correctness yet remained bang on point….   

a tough topic if we’re honest..   

LOL It's not a tough topic!  Anyway specious examples of ugly, silly tattoos are not representative  of the tattoos  as body art. He's  referencing what is tantamount to ugly graffiti  or vandalism.

Tattoos are not a tough topic.  Suicide, infanticide, abortion- these are tough  topics- not someone with prejudices and biases repeatedly and effectively repudiated by other BMs as without value, logic or rationality- just mere  assertions  of prejudices based on untruths- starting with the notion of tattoos as a 'fad'.

Within these refutations  rejecting and repudiating the OP's views you will find 'well presented arguments' based on history  and culture- genuinely  informative- not just  common hearsay about a couple of teenagers' mistakes.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Whereas British tattoos originating in the navy/ merchant  marine tradition were to enable corpses lost at sea to be identified and the gold ring in the mariner's ear  to pay for  a Christian  burial.

Really? Never heard about that before. Interesting factoid! One never stops learning new things. Thanks for the info! 

5 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

Really? Never heard about that before. Interesting factoid! One never stops learning new things. Thanks for the info! 

Another Brit one - from the days of Wooden ships and Iron men.

"Let the Cat out of the Bag"

The first origin story claims the phrase refers to the cat o’ nine tails, a whipping device infamously used by the Royal Navy as an instrument of punishment aboard its ships. The whip’s nine knotted cords could scratch an undisciplined sailor’s back badly, hence its feline nickname. The bag comes into play because the cat, being made of leather, had to be kept in a sack to protect it from drying out in the salty sea air and keep it flexible. Removing a whip from a sack doesn’t immediately seem to have anything to do with revealing a secret (that the lash was onboard the ship and would be readily used shouldn’t have been a secret to any sailor), but if you think of “letting the cat out of the bag” as a revelation that results in a punishment, it makes a little more sense.

Image below from Science Museum. UK. Circa 1700-1850cat.jpg.2688f06900ebdd2c3dfddc857e0b7a3c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

Don't factoids originate on Steve Wright in the Afternoon? 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

And to me, tattoos are horrible.

And to this my friend we can agree to disagree like we always can and not get into a bickering match like others do.  I like your debates with me.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, seedy said:

Another Brit one - from the days of Wooden ships and Iron men.

"Let the Cat out of the Bag"

The first origin story claims the phrase refers to the cat o’ nine tails, a whipping device infamously used by the Royal Navy as an instrument of punishment aboard its ships. The whip’s nine knotted cords could scratch an undisciplined sailor’s back badly, hence its feline nickname. The bag comes into play because the cat, being made of leather, had to be kept in a sack to protect it from drying out in the salty sea air and keep it flexible. Removing a whip from a sack doesn’t immediately seem to have anything to do with revealing a secret (that the lash was onboard the ship and would be readily used shouldn’t have been a secret to any sailor), but if you think of “letting the cat out of the bag” as a revelation that results in a punishment, it makes a little more sense.

Image below from Science Museum. UK. Circa 1700-1850cat.jpg.2688f06900ebdd2c3dfddc857e0b7a3c.jpg

It's not an 'origin story'. It's recorded history. The 'cat' established the discipline necessary for running a smooth ship.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

no we can't!

So your always 110% correct and never wrong....hmmmm I see????, you would rather go off topic and bicker......

Tattoos are like an art exhibit that keeps changing as the people walk by.  Some are like a Picasso, others like a Rembrandt.....but we can always agree to disagree on what we see and what we like.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

I accept the ancient written command "Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD." (Lev. 19:28

Ancient ? Less than 2000 years. And nothing but a brainwashing tool when first written - do as I say, not as I do.

Gotta keep those pesky little people in line ! 555

Wonder what it says about ongoing pedophiles ?

Edited by seedy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, seedy said:

Ancient ? Less than 2000 years. And nothing but a brainwashing tool when first written - do as I say, not as I do.

Gotta keep those pesky little people in line ! 555

Guess I have the number of the beast imprinted on me and I will go to hell then......