No Matter How Bad You Might Feel, Peter Lorre Can Make You Feel Even Better. Thank you, Peter.

Dear Friends,

Who was Peter Lorre?

Who is he, REALLY?

Peter was a small man in stature, but he stood Ten Feet Tall, in my opinion.

From where did he originate?

Why was he such an iconic figure in film?

Strangely, when he began in film, he was unable to speak English or Thai.

Lorre had a presence about him which overcame qualities about him which might have stopped lesser men.

Maybe it was his bulging eyes.

Peter Lorre died at age 59.

But, for a time, he was married to this girl:

image.jpeg.3988f76164bb4ffdb151e03cc640cb99.jpeg

A story like this could only happen in Hollywood.

What is real, anyway, unless one sees it, and validates it, on the silver screen?

So, what does Peter Lorre have to do with Asia?

Think Mr. Moto.

Think, political correctness, as we always do, on this great forum.

Such Nostalgia.

Thank you, Mr. Moto.

Thank you, Mr. Moto.

Everybody loves the real Asia.

Regards,

Gamma

Peter Lorre, through sheer force of will, turned himself into a superstar on film.

Peter Lorre was both ugly and from Austria.

Arnold Schwarzenegger was both ugly and from Austria. .and eventually was elected governor of a major state on the west coast of the USA.

Both men overcame their ugliness, same as Balzac, to go down in history as two of the more famous of ugly men.

And, if either one visited Pattaya, they both would have been called handsome. 

How ugly, maybe, might one need to be, in order to not be called handsome in Thailand?

image.jpeg.236bec817c1f173fe5916a998b58fffb.jpeg

Maybe this ugly?

22 minutes ago, Farmerslife said:

Small in stature, towering in presence. 

I always associate him with Ugarte in Casablanca but that is doing him an injustice as he appeared in a huge number of classic films. 

A great actor.

Yes.

I recently watched his performance in a 45-minute television episode of Kraft Suspense Theatre, "The End of the World, Baby", with Gig Young.

One might say that Peter Lorre was the spice that spiced up the films he appeared in.  And yet, he was often thought of as being second fiddle, which he was not.

16 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

If I feel I need cheering up, I play this, the funniest interview ever.

The beauty of the Internet, and sites like The Pirate Bay, is that you can play whatever you like.

But, if you must put this interview out here, you probably have never even watched, "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman".

And, even if you watched Louise Lasser, would somebody from where you are from, even understand satire if it came from above the equator?

I have watched Australian TV, and I do not understand it.

Therefore, no hard feelings... TIT FOR TAT, my friend.

You watch yours, and we thinking people will watch ours.

No worries.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

5 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

The beauty of the Internet, and sites like The Pirate Bay, is that you can play whatever you like.

But, if you must put this interview out here, you probably have never even watched, "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman".

And, even if you watched Louise Lasser, would somebody from where you are from, even understand Woody Allen-type humor?

I have watched Australian TV, and I do not understand it.

Therefore, no hard feelings... TIT FOR TAT, my friend.

You watch yours, and we thinking people will watch ours.

No worries.

I suspect Australian humor is too dry and subtle for most Americans. I replayed "Kenny" starring Shane Jacobsen for an American couple, their slack jaws said it all.

There is some American humor I like, "Bewitched" starring Elizabeth Montgomery, "The Addams Family" and "Happy Days". Zero Mostel was excellent as Pseudolus. "The Sting" was another.

Unfortunately, most American humor nowadays seems to be based on a potty mouth, or humor with a sneer. Seinfeld is a prime example.

Americans are thinking people, when 50% of you still believe in angels? Yeah right.

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I suspect Australian humor is too dry and subtle for most Americans. I replayed "Kenny" starring Shane Jacobsen for an American couple, their slack jaws said it all.

There is some American humor I like, "Bewitched" starring Elizabeth Montgomery, "The Addams Family" and "Happy Days". Zero Mostel was excellent as Pseudolus. "The Sting" was another.

Unfortunately, most American humor nowadays seems to be based on a potty mouth, or humor with a sneer. Seinfeld is a prime example.

Americans are thinking people, when 50% of you still believe in angels? Yeah right.

I suspect Twain is unintelligible to guys where you live, simply because, in Australia, you don't have even one river wide enough, long enough, deep enough, to float a decent-size riverboat. 

3 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I suspect Twain is unintelligible to guys where you live, simply because, in Australia, you don't have even one river wide enough, long enough, deep enough, to float a decent-size riverboat. 

I quite like Samuel Langhorne Clemens and William Sydney Porter as writers. AFAIK the paddle steamers on the Murray River are riverboats.

I suspect Australians know a lot more about America than Americans know about Australia, you seem to be bent on proving it.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I would further submit that guys from Australia don't know how to tell a joke, unless it might be a very lame one. 

Maybe a joke about some billabong, or some Coolibah tree.

You say that Australians know what dry humor and satire might be.

However, in fact, you guys, down under, are just too polite to understand satire.

You guys are just too polite, sir.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

32 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I quite like Samuel Langhorne Clemens and William Sydney Porter as writers. AFAIK the paddle steamers on the Murray River are riverboats.

I suspect Australians know a lot more about America than Americans know about Australia, you seem to be bent on proving it.

I suspect that Australians know only as much as Americans are willing to tell them, at any given time.

Still, no matter what Prism might be, Peter Lorre was an amazingly versatile actor, while he was alive.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

Come on Gamma. Don't judge us by those who go to an Andre Rieu concert. That would be like judging Americans on those who attend a... Andre Rieu concert. We have some good comedians, and hold our end up given our lower population, as we do for sports and acting. 

Australians in general have a good sense of humour - it's shown in the way we don't take ourselves too seriously or think we are no 1, and as such, are less likely to think we are so important to need extreme ways to show patriotism and power. 

We do have riverboats in my state - they are a bit smaller though.

Image result for river boat murray river picture

Image result for river boat murray river picture

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I would further submit that guys from Australia don't know how to tell a joke, unless it might be a very lame one. 

However, in fact, you guys, down under, are just too polite to understand satire.

Satire, eh? How about this for classic satire? Admittedly John Clarke is a Kiwi, Bryan Dawe is Aussie.

I've found Americans are always willing to tell us how wonderful they are.

On 8/27/2022 at 12:07 PM, Lacessit said:

Satire, eh? How about this for classic satire? Admittedly John Clarke is a Kiwi, Bryan Dawe is Aussie.

I've found Americans are always willing to tell us how wonderful they are.

No! 

Again, Sir, you have got things bass ackwards! 

It is only the Aussies who still maintain such a high opinion of Americans... 

So sad, really... 

The only remaining question might be whether or not Americans should feel flattered. 

Edited by GammaGlobulin

18 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

No! 

Again, Sir, you have got things bass ackwards! 

It is only the Aussies who still maintain such a high opinion of Americans... 

So sad, really... 

The only remaining question might be whether or not Americans should feel flattered. 

Americans do some things very well, in others most Australians think they are bats##t crazy. As do many other nations.

I suppose we do admire the American ability to maintain the greenback as the world's reserve currency, when the US debt level is reaching to the moon. A triumph of marketing, advertising, or public relations.

As someone who last owed anybody money back in 1974, it's quite bewildering. The Australian aphorism is BS baffles brains.

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Americans do some things very well, in others most Australians think they are bats##t crazy. As do many other nations.

I suppose we do admire the American ability to maintain the greenback as the world's reserve currency, when the US debt level is reaching to the moon. A triumph of marketing, advertising, or public relations.

As someone who last owed anybody money back in 1974, it's quite bewildering. The Australian aphorism is BS baffles brains.

BS does not stand up, under scrutiny, to the Scientific Method. 

Anyway, Known Truths are always just an approximation of reality. 

Maybe you should invest in a BS Meter. 

1 minute ago, GammaGlobulin said:

BS does not stand up, under scrutiny, to the Scientific Method. 

Anyway, Known Truths are always just an approximation of reality. 

Maybe you should invest in a BS Meter. 

I already have one, behind my eyes. It goes to DEFCON 2 with Americans, and DEFCON 1 with women.

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I already have one, behind my eyes. It goes to DEFCON 2 with Americans, and DEFCON 1 with women.

And, yet... 

You have already internalized, so much, both Americanisms, terminology, and Pop Culture. 

DEFCON you say? 

Where in the world did you come up with this terminology? 

Dr. Stangelove? 

Or, are you a secret member of SAC, hiding out, downunder? 

42 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

And, yet... 

You have already internalized, so much, both Americanisms, terminology, and Pop Culture. 

DEFCON you say? 

Where in the world did you come up with this terminology? 

Dr. Stangelove? 

Or, are you a secret member of SAC, hiding out, downunder? 

I still have a good store of Strine aphorisms, don't come the raw prawn is one of them.

DEFCON is an invention of your Joint Chiefs of Staff. Some of us do keep track.

I cannot claim to be a former member of the SAS, Marines, Delta Force, Sayeret, French Foreign Legion etc. as so many posters on ASEAN do. I have been tempted to post I was a former Komitet Gosudarstvennoy Bezopaznosti agent, just to see the reaction.

On 8/27/2022 at 11:48 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

For all that we might wish it otherwise, Australians are not like Paul Hogan, and, in my experience,  those in Australia least so.

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I still have a good store of Strine aphorisms, don't come the raw prawn is one of them.

I cannot claim to be a former member of the SAS, Marines, Delta Force, Sayeret, French Foreign Legion etc. as so many posters on ASEAN do. I have been tempted to post I was a former Komitet Gosudarstvennoy Bezopaznosti agent, just to see the reaction.

our modesty borders on the pitiful.  SAS? Legionnaire? Why would you not claim it?
The only time my bluff has been called was when I said I was a dalek, but I blagged my way through

What is the "raw prawn", anyway?

Such a wonderful idiom!

Lest we not forget, most of Aussie idioms are bastardized transformations from what the "new" 1940s' generations remembered from the English which their forebears brought over, on square-rigged sailing vessels, from the UK, to the colony.

Australia had, up until Americans began interacting with the Australians, during WW2, been a very insular and blessed colony.

Australians were considered quaint, when I was young.

I respect Australians for their sincerity and for their being, mostly, like guys I have met in Iowa.

RAW PRAWN?

As for me....

I LOVE this idiom.

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Show me 5 examples of BMs claiming to special services etc. Only you claim that BMs claim  such things.

"Coming the raw prawn" an expression

made famous in a Barry Humphries Britishncartoon strip about 50 years ago is rarely used by Australians these days- not young ones - under 60.

When Britain joined the EU and Australians' right  of abode  in UK diminished so did the spread and growth of Strine- it was dependent on the internationalism of Britain.

Edited by The Hammer2021