Retirement visa following Non-O Multi

My (Thai) wife and I alternate between UK and Thailand, staying in approx three-month blocks in each country (not more than 90 days in TH).

I used to get 1-year Multi-O based on marriage from London.  These were stopped a few years back so I have been using single entry 90 day visas - a bit of pain to apply each time but I'm not keen to keep my money in a Thai bank.

Previous advice from this forum was to go to Savannaket for 1-year Multi-O however wife thinks that is a waste of time and money.  She's transferred ฿900k of her money into my Thai bank account and wants me to get a non-O retirement visa.

So, I will enter in September on 90-day non-O and stay about 80 days.  What will the procedure be to get non-O retirement at Jomtien office?

Apply within last 30 days of visa?

Letter from bank and bank book?

TM30 will show my address? My wife owns a condo in Jomtien where we are normally based but her home address (as on ID card) is at the house in Udon. How do I verify my address (live with wife so obviously no rental contract etc).

Just making sure that you are aware of 60 day extension to visit wife.

For 90 day reoccurring stays a visa exempt entry 30 days + 60 to visit wife is simple.

Be aware that some offices may want you to obtain standard 30 day extension first.

Check with you immigration office. 

43 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Just making sure that you are aware of 60 day extension to visit wife.

For 90 day reoccurring stays a visa exempt entry 30 days + 60 to visit wife is simple.

Be aware that some offices may want you to obtain standard 30 day extension first.

Check with you immigration office. 

Yes, I'm aware of other options. The rationale for getting a non-O retirement is that it would free us from any immigration hassle for a year. We tend to travel around a lot (both within Thailand and to neighbouring countries) so a retirement visa plus re-entry permit should set us up for the year at less cost than 2x 90-day visas or using visa extensions, and with just one visit to immigration office.

Edited by HauptmannUK
  • Like 1

I agree that the retirement extension is a good option. Two comments:

a) if you intend, presumably, to renew it year afer year, keep in mind that normally this can be done only in a 30-day window prior to expiration. So you must schedule your trips and stays in Thailand accordingly.

b) if money in the bank is a concern to you, why not spouse for 400K?

About Jomtien/Udon, I am not sure. Probably hiring an agent to help you the first time is not a bad idea.

9 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

Yes, I'm aware of other options. The rationale for getting a non-O retirement is that it would free us from any immigration hassle for a year.

You would be applying for a extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon retirement since you will be on a non-o visa entry.

13 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

Apply within last 30 days of visa?

Letter from bank and bank book?

TM30 will show my address? My wife owns a condo in Jomtien where we are normally based but her home address (as on ID card) is at the house in Udon. How do I verify my address (live with wife so obviously no rental contract etc).

Yes, you can apply for the extension of stay (and re-entry permit) during the last 30 days (possibly a bit longer) before the end of the 90-day permission to stay from the Non O visa.

For the first extension, the letter from the bank and bank book updated on the day of the application should be sufficient. However, it is important that the bank book shows every individual transaction since the money was transferred into the account. If there are summary lines in the bank book, you will need to get an actual statement showing the full history of transactions on the account.

If you will be in Jomtien, a copy of the wife's condo chanote, together with a brief letter to immigration stating that you are living with her can replace a rental contract. Your wife should do a TM30 for the condo in Jomtien.

Look at my earlier thread  :Returning to Thailand"

I entered last week on 30 day non visa.

Went to my local I/O (Phayao) and asked about converting to Non O retirement, which I have been using for some years, but it expired while I was in UK.

According to I/O I saw, not a problem, but will have to be a 'special service' at Phayao, as approval will have to be obtained from Chiang Rai Immigration.

She checked that I qualified for Retirement visa, with 800K in my bank. I am booked to attend Immigration next Wed to start this process, and I will report on progress.

Suggestion was made that there would be an additional fee, over the 2000B visa fee, to cover the cost of taking my passport to Chiang Rai,  but I do not mind paying, rather than using an agent.  Hopefully fee not too steep.

I have been on Retirement for some years , and it seems top be a good way of long term residence in LOS