A father in tears: 14 year old motorcyclist dies in NE in head on collision with pick-up - she was on the phone

webfact

1 hour ago, kcpattaya said:

I wonder why nobody mentions that the minimum age for driving motorbikes is 16 years old.
So, she obviously didn't have a driver license. Probably not a helmet either.
Papa will have a hard time with his conscious to forgive himself to let his daughter use a motorbike.
The rest is history. 
RIP

It's 15 years for up to a 110cc bike....

• Like 1

17 hours ago, starky said:
On 8/29/2022 at 9:57 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

Not necessarily, modern vehicles are designed and required to deform easily in impacts to absorb kinetic energy.   But why not suggest the pickup driver was lying, or at fault, when the 14-year old girl, on the phone, rode head-on into him, eh?

Where you there?

Were you?

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, possum1931 said:

There's the bit about Webfact and the headline not saying the girls age, and the other headline saying she was 14 years of age.

This changes things. If the girl was riding the motorbike with her parents knowledge, and it seems she was, then the parents are responsible and should be prosecuted.

The link from which Webfact got the article also refers to her age four times.   

On 8/29/2022 at 7:18 AM, AussieinThaiJim said:

It’s time that the police got serious and started a campaign to teach the kids and parents the risks.

That would be the common sense wisdom, but, unfortunately, we’re talking about people who are largely unteachable and to whom delayed gratification (e.g., waiting until the motorcycle or automobile is parked to reply to a text) is an unknown quantity.

Sadly, she will not be the last, every single day I see birds on the phone controlling the bike with one hand.

Nothing will change or stop the practice as there are no police out there to do anything about it, and that goes for all the other road cr@p too......????

On 8/29/2022 at 1:18 PM, billd766 said:

But it doesn't have to, IF the police did their job properly in the first place.

But they don't and they won't - that's the sad fact of it.  Look at what happens after every Songkran - hundreds die, some minister or other makes a statement that new laws will be brought in to end the carnage and nothing actually happens.

Remember a few years ago - a pick up truck full of people in the back and a Minibus were involved in a horrific crash in Chantaburi I believe? There were many deaths in both vehicles.  It was then announced that people would no longer be allowed to travel in the back of pick ups and inter-province minbuses would be banned.  Has either of those things actually happened?

I completely agree with you that the police are the main culprits due to almost total non-enforcement of the law and I also wish things would change - but in my 21 years of involvement with Thailand, they haven't.  Lots of talk and no action, year after year.

Go into central Korat every morning at schooltime - you'll see loads of motorbikes being driven on the main road through the city - Mitraphap. The bikes are ridden by very young kids - many with 3 people on board - all with no helmets and right in front of the police directing the traffic, they are also on CCTV.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, kcpattaya said:

I wonder why nobody mentions that the minimum age for driving motorbikes is 16 years old.
So, she obviously didn't have a driver license. Probably not a helmet either.
Papa will have a hard time with his conscious to forgive himself to let his daughter use a motorbike.
The rest is history. 
RIP

I believe it is 15 years old here. 

The reality is, Thais don't seem to consider the consequences of their actions, but are quite capable of regretting later. Kids riding motorcycles to and from school are commonplace, and the police turn a blind eye and use excuses like, 'they would not attend school if it was not permitted'..... Ever passed a school at closing time and been among the kids riding home.... they have no road sense or caution. 

• Like 1

I am glad that my Thai family mostly live in Bangkok, and have good common sense.

The younger members do no get to ride the motorbikes until they are legal. They have all 

taken lessons, and wear their helmets on the bikes. The small kids all have their own helmets as well.

Being that this happened in the NE of Thailand, likely meant that the family was not too rich, but to

be ignorant and let a 14 year old drive around on the bike, and for her not to have the intelligence to

stay off her phone, is the fault of the girl, and of her parents for letting her drive the motorcycle..                                                                                     Plus no mention of a helmet usually means no helmet was worn. So sad for someone so young to die. RIP

Very sad. But will not be the first or the last who's killed buy a phone falling of a mountain, or in a hole, road accidents, etc.

Just wonder one thing: was this the only Thai who not have a horn in the car or wanna use it?

• 5 months later...

Darwinism at work…

people say Thais regret their actions later….if that is the case then why do these same events continue to happen every day?

there is no lessons learned nor action plans developed to prevent these bad driving behaviors…

waiting for the next mini van or bus crash where 8-20 more victims die…

gov and community groups are either incompetent or just too lazy to properly resolve these issues b/c 1. Costs 2. Try to change human behavior in the Thai culture is virtually impossible b/c of an attitude and a lack of willingness to change and 3. Just don’t care about safety 

Edited by cardinalblue

On 8/29/2022 at 1:35 AM, AsianAtHeart said:

I was driving a car, legally, with a driver's license, at the age of 15.  And I was a safe driver.

The problem is not the age.  In fact, the younger one is when he or she learns to drive, the better it is for training one's driving reflexes and habits.

The problem here was clearly the phone addiction.  Maybe she was too young to have a phone.

Spot on.

On 8/29/2022 at 9:03 AM, Denim said:

Who would have thought eh ?

These tragedies are going to keep on happening until the people learn to respect laws and laws are enforced.

We all know how long that is going to take. ????

And they will only respect them when they are enforced consistently, fairly and "cleanly"

What enforcement there is is so sporadic, inconsistent and openly corrupt that the law and it's "enforcers" are regarded with contempt.