A father in tears: 14 year old motorcyclist dies in NE in head on collision with pick-up - she was on the phone

webfact

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

I don't think it has anything to do with luck when your time is up. 

btw, Thais believe in reincarnation, but I understand what you mean by RIP. 

It does have to do with luck sadly this young girl has being doing it for sometime not just the day she died.  

I'm not religious so as for reincarnation they can believe in it all they want it isn't going to bring her back to the father in the same form so he doesn't moan. 

6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...absolutely no mention of the fact she was underage".

No, absolutely no mention of her being underage apart from the bolded headline specifically pointing out that she was underage.

There's the bit about Webfact and the headline not saying the girls age, and the other headline saying she was 14 years of age.

This changes things. If the girl was riding the motorbike with her parents knowledge, and it seems she was, then the parents are responsible and should be prosecuted.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Not necessarily, modern vehicles are designed and required to deform easily in impacts to absorb kinetic energy.   But why not suggest the pickup driver was lying, or at fault, when the 14-year old girl, on the phone, rode head-on into him, eh?

Where you there? You seem to know a lot about it. So no one has ever lied in Thailand ????????????

No car drivers here drive too fast or use mobiles right?

9 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Kids can legally use a motorcycle here to get to school if there is no bus.....it's pretty sad tho' that this incident is not the first!

What a nonsense!!! You can use the village taxis that will take you to the school. In order to drive themselves, they must be 15 years old to get a license for a 110cc motorcycle.

Parents who let their children ride motorcycles on public roads without a license should be punished. Let's see what happens in this case. Especially if the insurance company refuses to pay for the damage to the pickup.

9 hours ago, itsari said:

Seems a lot of damage to the front of the truck . If the driver was breaking then there would be less damage than is showing .

and you came up with these findings just by looking at a photo... inspector Clouseau is nothing compared to you  555

RIP young lady

Edited by Mavideol

1 minute ago, Mavideol said:

and you came up with these findings just by looking at a photo... inspector Clouseau is nothing compared to you  555

RIP young lady

I am not so clever , but when amongst fools I am brilliant 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, BTB1977 said:

I agree. She would have to have been going 100 kph or more . But really doesn't matter how fast each were moving. If she was in his lane and hit him head on, not much the pickup could do. 

I am not convinced that the motorcycle was in the wrong lane.

2 minutes ago, itsari said:

I am not convinced that the motorcycle was in the wrong lane.

I don't understand why some take this so seriously, like a detective, if it's not in their interest. It's very easy from evidence at the scene, to see where the vehicles were at time of impact, unless of course no one was around for quite awhile, and the pickup driver moved it all to his lane, meaning a lot of scooter pieces which should have broken off at the speed which this happened, which by the evidence seen, wasn't a crawl.

9 hours ago, AussieinThaiJim said:

90% of children on motorcycles have a phone in the left hand! No helmet and no licence. It’s time that the police got serious and started a campaign to teach the kids and parents the risks. They also hoon and ride their modified bikes to fast! 
Get serious please Thai Police!

Who could disagree with your comments .

Yet please remember that the driving abilities are woefully inadequate in Thailand.

Police included .

It will take a miracle to turn things around on Thai roads .

Just now, itsari said:

Who could disagree with your comments .

Yet please remember that the driving abilities are woefully inadequate in Thailand.

Police included .

It will take a miracle to turn things around on Thai roads .

With birds on the phone, using one hand to, steer and brake and even concentrate all at the same time .....????

10 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Father, perhaps she was too young to be riding a motorcycle to school.....

She was 14, legal age is 15. I'm not splitting hairs over a few months. More than likely due to messing on with those damn phones! Terrible shame at the end of the day.

40 minutes ago, BTB1977 said:

I agree. She would have to have been going 100 kph or more . But really doesn't matter how fast each were moving. If she was in his lane and hit him head on, not much the pickup could do. 

As dead people don't talk, it's not a "he said, she said" situation--we have only "he said" and no one to contest it.  That said, I think the investigators need to do their work a bit more carefully to determine exactly who was using a smartphone, and how fast each was driving, and who was in whose lane.  The pickup driver could be lying through his teeth.  The amount of damage seen in the front of his vehicle appears disproportionate to his description of the event to my inexpert point of view.  Let the accident investigators make that determination, but I hope they do thorough work.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I don't understand why some take this so seriously, like a detective, if it's not in their interest. It's very easy from evidence at the scene, to see where the vehicles were at time of impact, unless of course no one was around for quite awhile, and the pickup driver moved it all to his lane, meaning a lot of scooter pieces which should have broken off at the speed which this happened, which by the evidence seen, wasn't a crawl.

I see it as obvious rather than taking the incidence seriously.

Only to easy to make things in favour of the driver of the truck.

I am aware of half the people on Thai roads drive on the wrong side of the road as being normal .

10 hours ago, itsari said:

Seems a lot of damage to the front of the truck . If the driver was breaking then there would be less damage than is showing .

Depends how fast the girl was driving (and also weight of the bike, to be technically correct)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, transam said:

With birds on the phone, using one hand to, steer and brake and even concentrate all at the same time .....????

I see generally that the motor cyclists slow down when on the phone . I presume that they need some chance to listen to the conversation.

However there is no evidence that the girl was on the phone apart from the truck driver 

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

I can't be the only one who was riding a mini bike on country roads age 10 or 11. Had a 90cc Honda age 13. Was driving our farm truck about 5 km to work age 14. Bought my first car a 56 chevy at age 15 before I had a license, my own money from working.

I get these parents letting their kids ride MB's at early age. But it's the forking cel phone pandemic that caused this carnage

Sorry Mate but at her age she shouldn't have been on the bike, nothing to do with cell phones, they are just the icing on the cake of life, so to speak

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SportRider said:

Depends how fast the girl was driving (and also weight of the bike, to be technically correct)

Of course the weight of a  Honda wave plus 45 kilo for the unfortunate rider is not difficult to work out.

Speed of the truck is difficult as well.

Position of the truck and motorcycle is difficult too when you see where the two met

8 hours ago, itsari said:

The truck bonnet is not plastic and neither is the bumper behind the plastic . Most motorcycles are traveling at a speed of 30 to 50 km per hour. The truck has to of been at high speed to create that damage.

BRAKING I don't believe too much.

I have seen a motorcycle go into the side of a vehicle one time and the damage on the stationary car was minimal. The rider got up and walked away.

I would be checking the young girls phone account to see if she was actually using the phone or not at the time of the accident .

Appears to me that the level of damage to the front of the pick up, that one or both were travelling at quite some speed unless it was a large heavy bike and the rider was also heavy.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ozz1 said:

I see this every day on the phone no helmet but they have a mask on! 

I was arguing about this with my wife today. She said if you don't want to see it then don't go out. How can you possibly communicate with a race that firmly believes they are in danger of catching Covid while on a bike, but not of having their head crushed in an accident as they have no helmet. You simply can't. They live on a different planet.

The only pandemic now is a facemask pandemic.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

Enforcement of the laws is lax, and is the main reason this will continue to happen forever until the police are held responsible for enforcement of the laws, which is part of their job description.

The police get paid whether they work or not, so they don't work. It's as simple as that.

How very sad.

By way of comparison, there are seven EU countries that allow you to ride a moped from age 14: Estonia, France, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Poland and Portugal. As against 20 that set the minimum age higher. Rider training is important.

If I was faced with a situation as the car driver described it, I hope I would have the presence of mind to blow my horn and flash my headlights, as well as hitting the brakes. And try to steer out of her way.

Edited by robtay
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, AussieinThaiJim said:

They also hoon and ride their modified bikes to fast! 
Get serious please Thai Police!

Could also do something about the Thai culture of it being considered normal to drive dangerously at high speed because it is fun.  This would mean some serious education, attitude adjustment and learning that consequences have actions.

I'm not sure if any of this is compatible with Thai culture, but it would certainly make the roads safer.