A father in tears: 14 year old motorcyclist dies in NE in head on collision with pick-up - she was on the phone

webfact

8 hours ago, webfact said:

He braked coming to a halt but she rode into his lane on the two lane road and collided head on, reported Daily News.

That makes no sense whatsoever. You would not come to a halt when someone is driving on the other side of the road - course if the translation is wrong and the word 'had' is missing it does.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

A public health volunteer said this showed the danger of looking at phones while on motorcycles.

Looking at a phone while driving is deadly whether on a motorcycle or in/on any other vehicles, and as evident, has the possibility of killing someone else who is driving with care.  It's sad and completely avoidable. 

14 No license, probadly no helmet.On the mobile phone.You see them when school is over and look in the carpark of the school too.The parents buy them a bike,now the parents are sad,who do u blame.I,am sure my friend in udon and her daughter round 12 or 13 now let her use the bike in her village for things,something she did the same at the same age on a bike.Who is at fault when accidents happen

4 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

That makes no sense whatsoever. You would not come to a halt when someone is driving on the other side of the road - course if the translation is wrong and the word 'had' is missing it does.

He may have stopped but that would not prevent an inexperienced kid who is looking at their phone from colliding with him.

• Thanks 1

Adding to this, you see daily pickup trucks overloaded with kids coming and going from school, with as many as 8 or more sitting on the top of the truck. One false move, and accident can kill 30 or more, and this is a truck going to the school, allowed by ,of course, everyone. And today, a girl came into my lane driving a scooter, looking at her phone. No helmet,maybe 12 years old but couldn't tell. I slowed to a crawl, and she looked up, and steered back into her lane.

Edited by fredwiggy

8 hours ago, AussieinThaiJim said:

90% of children on motorcycles have a phone in the left hand! No helmet and no licence. It’s time that the police got serious and started a campaign to teach the kids and parents the risks. They also hoon and ride their modified bikes to fast! 
Get serious please Thai Police!

You're dreaming of another country. TIT

7 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

Motorcycle rider here, accident free since 1987. I think motorbike safety is not something that is emphasized sufficiently in school or at home. The risks are not taken seriously until something happens. I don't think it has anything to do with intelligence, it is a failure in common sense and awareness. I blame parents and schools mostly. Nobody can change or remedy bad parenting, so the slack needs to be taken up by the schools - schools should teach every pre teen and teen about the dangers of reckless driving, there should be graphic films showing the carnage. The dangers of motorbikes should be emphasized, that is the biggest danger to these kids. But I also know this is Thailand. It's very sad, so much grief. Imagine the other driver, knowing that a young girl died right in front of him as he sat helpless. 

honest question. do you or have you live in thailand ?

8 hours ago, AussieinThaiJim said:

90% of children on motorcycles have a phone in the left hand! No helmet and no licence. It’s time that the police got serious and started a campaign to teach the kids and parents the risks. They also hoon and ride their modified bikes to fast! 

What is the age a person must be before they can have a licence to ride a "Motorcycle"???? if it is over 14 then that one is on the Father>

• Sad 1

Just now, Bobydog said:

What is the age a person must be before they can have a licence to ride a "Motorcycle"???? if it is over 14 then that one is on the Father>

It was answered before but it is 15 years old but restricted to 110 cc

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Think they start pre-school at 3yrs of age so using ChrisY1 theory.... they can legally ride at 3 !!

I was at Bang Saray beach a few weeks back when a gang of what must have been twenty to thirty kids on motorbikes rode along shouting and singing. I swear the oldest among them couldn't have been more than twelve and there looked to be several not more than seven or eight. Strangest sight I've ever seen, like a mini Hell's Angels.

Just now, jesimps said:

I was at Bang Saray beach a few weeks back when a gang of what must have been twenty to thirty kids on motorbikes rode along shouting and singing. I swear the oldest among them couldn't have been more than twelve and there looked to be several not more than seven or eight. Strangest sight I've ever seen, like a mini Hell's Angels.

Perhaps they were the kids of those Kuwaitis recently caught for racing ????

6 minutes ago, Kenneth White said:

Parents need to teach their children safety whether two wheels or four. 14 is a good age to learn to ride or drive. The driving classes are a joke and I don't see any motorbike riding classes. The RTP needs to mandate these classes. 

RTP needs to do their Job PERIOD!!!!!

• Like 1

I can't be the only one who was riding a mini bike on country roads age 10 or 11. Had a 90cc Honda age 13. Was driving our farm truck about 5 km to work age 14. Bought my first car a 56 chevy at age 15 before I had a license, my own money from working.

I get these parents letting their kids ride MB's at early age. But it's the forking cel phone pandemic that caused this carnage

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Father, perhaps she was too young to be riding a motorcycle to school.....

The age hasn't been mentioned, but usually when a young person has been killed or injured on a motorbike and is under age, it is usually kept quite as it shows certain people in a bad light.

9 hours ago, AussieinThaiJim said:

"started a campaign to teach the kids and parents the risks". 

You cannot teach stupid.

2 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I can't be the only one who was riding a mini bike on country roads age 10 or 11. Had a 90cc Honda age 13. Was driving our farm truck about 5 km to work age 14. Bought my first car a 56 chevy at age 15 before I had a license, my own money from working.

I get these parents letting their kids ride MB's at early age. But it's the forking cel phone pandemic that caused this carnage

The difference being that where you rode, there were most likely a higher skill level of the locals,  and less drivers overall, meaning less intoxicated drivers

5 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

The age hasn't been mentioned, but usually when a young person has been killed or injured on a motorbike and is under age, it is usually kept quite as it shows certain people in a bad light.

It's in the topic, she was 14

8 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Not the system. The law says 15 to ride a moto, no phones and wear a helmet. She herself, and her father, let her down.

"the fact she was underage," What fact was that? I never saw it mentioned.

• Confused 2

7 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Read the headline again.

• Haha 1

"Mai pen rai" system, so with that an average of 43 people /day in Thailand die in traffic.

When my wife sits in car and wants to talk with me, while driving, i ll cut her off.

Already told her many times not to do so, she doesnt do it, so i cut her off every time.

I ll take control then and say "bye bye, you are driving" and hang up.

But it is hard to beat that "mai pen rai" shizzle 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, xtrnuno41 said:

"Mai pen rai" system, so with that an average of 43 people /day in Thailand die in traffic.

When my wife sits in car and wants to talk with me, while driving, i ll cut her off.

Already told her many times not to do so, she doesnt do it, so i cut her off every time.

I ll take control then and say "bye bye, you are driving" and hang up.

But it is hard to beat that "mai pen rai" shizzle 

More like 65 a day, and that's the ones that are dead at the scene, and not after reaching hospitals. True about Mai pen rai though. I've told my girlfriend here that only music keeps be centered, and that talking, especially with more than two, including kids, is very distracting, and is a major cause of accidents everywhere.

9 hours ago, itsari said:

Seems a lot of damage to the front of the truck . If the driver was breaking then there would be less damage than is showing .

I agree. She would have to have been going 100 kph or more . But really doesn't matter how fast each were moving. If she was in his lane and hit him head on, not much the pickup could do. 

7 hours ago, blackshadow said:

nothing wrong wiv the system....she should NOT have been on the bike...end of story.....

Why should she not have been on the bike? Where does it mention her age? Was the bike a 110cc?

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Why should she not have been on the bike? Where does it mention her age? Was the bike a 110cc?

Where does it mention her age?

In the title, in the linked story and quite a few times in this thread (including an earlier answer to you from KannikaP).

The thread title reads:

A father in tears: 14 year old motorcyclist dies in NE in head on collision with pick-up - she was on the phone

Edited by Bert got kinky
  • Like 1