I want to take my Thai wife on holiday – looking for suggestions.

Custard boy

I’m not sure if this is the correct place to ask my question .

I have never so far taken my Thai wife of 19 years on holiday any where . I would now like to change that .

I am a retired 73 year old British citizen permanently residing in Thailand with my Thai wife . In the past before I retired to Thailand I spent the majority of my life constantly working so I never got the chance to travel abroad that much .

So I’m thinking of a holiday duration of around 10  / 14 days , preferably some where we have to fly , but not in Thailand ( the wife's never been on an airplane ) .

Both myself and my Thai wife are not really interested in things like sports , trekking or night clubbing ,skiing or laying on a beach . I am still active and can walk reasonable distances .

As this holiday idea is still in the early planning stage I have no real time scale and the holiday time frame ( month ) could be decided to suite the chosen destination .

Of course the Tourist Visa situation to enter a holiday destination / country  may play an important part.

Personally I’m wondering about the following possible holiday destinations .....

Japan 
Singapore
Malaysia
China
Hong Kong 

I know its a  ‘’ how long is a piece of string’’  type of question , So have you taken your wife / girlfriend / partner on holiday other than some where in Thailand , and if so where did you go to and how would you rate that experience .

Any thoughts, suggestions or advice on a possible holiday destination to take my Thai wife to , would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance

• Like 2

Singapore is OK, but I'd go for Malaysia personally. Hire a car and get off the beaten track a bit (although Cameron and Genting Highlands are usually a must-do).

Drive across to the east coast, maybe do Tioman Island (in summer when you can fly there).

• Thanks 1

I've taken my GF to Australia, Myanmar, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Laos and Vietnam.

I'd rate Vietnam and Myanmar as easiest to travel to, not expensive, Australia was by far the worst.

Myanmar is probably closest to Thailand in terms of culture.

If you both want a cooler climate, Dalat in Vietnam or the Cameron Highlands in Malaysia are both good. Hong Kong is expensive, and after Thai food I found the Chinese cuisine quite bland.

Laos and Vietnam both have French -style breakfasts.

I would suggest Myanmar first, it was very cheap to hire a driver and car to take us around.

Hong Kong has possibly one of the best public transport systems on the planet.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Hua Hin is nice.

Lot's of good restaurants and Hau Hin has a mellow vibe.

Marriott or Hilton (Ocean View every room).  Great hotels within walking distance to everything.

Killer buffet breakfast and beach side pools.  Both have been recently updated.

My wife enjoys it because there's so much choice for Thai food.  I like the beach and pool. 

he says he wants somewhere NOT in thailand.....so why mention hua hin ??????????????

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Derek said:

Japan - bland
Singapore - boring after 2 days
Malaysia - my least favourite country on earth - degraded environment, nothing works
China - fascinating but difficult and unfriendly
Hong Kong - okay for a few days

If budget stretches, go to Europe. The world's best holiday of 10-14 days is a tour of northern Italy - Milan, Como, Venice, Florence, Pisa etc.  Next best: Provence/Cote d'Azur. Next best: Andalucia. Next best: Switzerland. Asia has nothing to touch these places.

Agree

Europe is best. She is Asian and Thailand is no 1. Other countries are boring. Japan is a yawn.

Czech republic and Hungary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Vietnam, Lao Cambodia.

Vietnam offers best food.

Singapore is clean with great  food and Thais love it.

NOT Malaysia

Japan could be very tiring.

NOT China unless you  can afford VIP tourist travel. No  not china

Hong Kong hectic city state.

Singapore would be easiest and good  for  two weeks. Vietnam great service and nature and civilised opulence too

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I've taken my GF to Australia, Myanmar, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Laos and Vietnam.

I'd rate Vietnam and Myanmar as easiest to travel to, not expensive, Australia was by far the worst.

Myanmar is probably closest to Thailand in terms of culture.

If you both want a cooler climate, Dalat in Vietnam or the Cameron Highlands in Malaysia are both good. Hong Kong is expensive, and after Thai food I found the Chinese cuisine quite bland.

Laos and Vietnam both have French -style breakfasts.

I would suggest Myanmar first, it was very cheap to hire a driver and car to take us around.

Hong Kong has possibly one of the best public transport systems on the planet.

Myanmar isn't a good option right now, if you can get in. Very dangerous even as a bystander. 

I would hit Japan first. Easy to get around and plenty to see. Food option can be outstanding. 

• Thanks 1

COVID has screwed things up but … previous trips to Luang Prabang, Penom Penh, Singapore and South Korea none of which caused Visa concerns. Looking forward to Vietnam in the future, possibly the Philippines.

• Thanks 1