I want to take my Thai wife on holiday – looking for suggestions.

Custard boy

When I met my wife she'd also never been on a plane - but she adapted to international travel very quickly.

Here's my experience of taking her on international adventures in chronological order (not in order of her preference) .......

1. Malaysia (KL) - I thought this would be an easy first trip abroad for her.  She liked the sites .... Petronas Towers etc, but found the food a bit dull and the malls were similar to Bangkok, but smaller.  Was only a weekend trip, and that was long enough.  Penang is a good outing, but again only for a day or two.

2. Singapore - only a slightly longer flight, she loved the experience, especially the hawker food and the Marina light show.  Good for 4 days, wouldn't recommend longer as it's a tiny country.

3. Vietnam (HCM City)  She loved it!  Great food, fascinating markets, insane city 'buzz'.  Different enough to Bangkok to make it exciting.

4. Korea (Seoul) - I was working, but she had a lot of fun exploring the huge city.  Very different to Thailand and home to K Pop stars and Korean drama series.

5. Japan (Hokkaido and Tokyo) - her favourite.  Totally different to Thailand.  Everthing was an adventure.  First time she'd seen snow.  Eating out was always a new and weird experience!

6. Bali - fun, but not very different to a Thai island.

7. Hong Kong - like spending a week in a shopping mall, but she liked the Star Ferry and the trams.

I've not taken her to Europe or US yet ...... and now the flights are very expensive - so my vote is for Japan or Vietnam.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

When I met my wife she'd also never been on a plane - but she adapted to international travel very quickly.

Here's my experience of taking her on international adventures in chronological order (not in order of her preference) .......

1. Malaysia (KL) - I thought this would be an easy first trip abroad for her.  She liked the sites .... Petronas Towers etc, but found the food a bit dull and the malls were similar to Bangkok, but smaller.  Was only a weekend trip, and that was long enough.  Penang is a good outing, but again only for a day or two.

2. Singapore - only a slightly longer flight, she loved the experience, especially the hawker food and the Marina light show.  Good for 4 days, wouldn't recommend longer as it's a tiny country.

3. Vietnam (HCM City)  She loved it!  Great food, fascinating markets, insane city 'buzz'.  Different enough to Bangkok to make it exciting.

4. Korea (Seoul) - I was working, but she had a lot of fun exploring the huge city.  Very different to Thailand and home to K Pop stars and Korean drama series.

5. Japan (Hokkaido and Tokyo) - her favourite.  Totally different to Thailand.  Everthing was an adventure.  First time she'd seen snow.  Eating out was always a new and weird experience!

6. Bali - fun, but not very different to a Thai island.

7. Hong Kong - like spending a week in a shopping mall, but she liked the Star Ferry and the trams.

I've not taken her to Europe or US yet ...... and now the flights are very expensive - so my vote is for Japan or Vietnam.

The above seems a bit shallow but that is perhaps understandable on such 'mini-trips'. I have done similar and you tend to only scratch the surface; no mention of botanical gardens, Singapore Slings at Raffles, trams to Victoria Peak - real street food in Hong Kong.

You won't go wrong with Vietnam - a huge variety of places north/south......I liked Danang and Hoi An - Vung Tau was OK.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dan O said:

Myanmar isn't a good option right now, if you can get in. Very dangerous even as a bystander. 

I would hit Japan first. Easy to get around and plenty to see. Food option can be outstanding. 

You're right, I was in Myanmar a few years ago. Current Australian Government advisory is do not travel to Myanmar.

I've heard good things about Luang Prabang in Laos, although it may be too rustic for the OP.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

The above seems a bit shallow but that is perhaps understandable on such 'mini-trips'. I have done similar and you tend to only scratch the surface; no mention of botanical gardens, Singapore Slings at Raffles, trams to Victoria Peak - real street food in Hong Kong.

You won't go wrong with Vietnam - a huge variety of places north/south......I liked Danang and Hoi An - Vung Tau was OK.

We did all the trips you mentioned ..... I was just trying to give a flavour of her views on each country.  But the trip up to the Peak in HK was a very unpleadant experience involving hours of queuing with several billion Mainland tourists.  I'd recommend Macau over HK for a trip with a Thai wife, as she can see the old Portuguese city,  But both HK and Macau (and Singapore) are too small for a 2 week trip in my view.

Yes ..... I agree Vietnam or Japan would be better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Before you go ensure what the requirements are for when you return to Thailand. The admins in the AN visa section will keep you right. You don't want any unpleasant surprises when you come back here, such as medical insurance requirements, or Covid forms, and ensure you have an up to date Re-Entry stamp in your Passport.  If it's just a flight, so your wife can say she's been in a plane, then you can always fly within Thailand, and yes I did see the not in Thailand part of the OP. Good luck!

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Japan... Awesome...

You can stay in a Ryokan near Mt Fuju.....  

Bullet Train to various other cities including Kyoto 

Explore Tokyo, interesting streets and cafe’s... to temples.

Some good museums (unfortunately TeamLab Borderless is closing this month).

The Crazyness of Harajuku (Take<deleted>a st) and Shinjuku... 

Outside of Thailand I think Japan is one of the best food destinations in the world...  just rocking up to any hole in the wall foodshop or walking into any restaurant and blindly ordering returns some outstanding experiences.... 

Totally agree, Tokoyo is amazing.

Went there just before covid and plan on going back.

Great food / Polite people / Spotless clean / Lots to do - great time.

I stayed at Godzilla hotel, great location, loved it.

Never found it that expensive either tbh.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mr Derek said:

Japan - bland
Singapore - boring after 2 days
Malaysia - my least favourite country on earth - degraded environment, nothing works
China - fascinating but difficult and unfriendly
Hong Kong - okay for a few days

If budget stretches, go to Europe. The world's best holiday of 10-14 days is a tour of northern Italy - Milan, Como, Venice, Florence, Pisa etc.  Next best: Provence/Cote d'Azur. Next best: Andalucia. Next best: Switzerland. Asia has nothing to touch these places.

Unless it's changed visa will be a ball ache.

1 hour ago, AsianAtHeart said:

I was looking down through the posts to see if anyone would mention Taiwan.  It seems to me the most fitting option within the Southeast Asian region indicated by the listed options in the OP. 

Taroko Gorge is very pleasant, the high-speed trains are very comfortable and efficient, and Taiwan will give any Thai a taste of a culture and societal development that cannot be found in Thailand.  For example, unlike Thailand where the train from Bangkok to Ubon might run an average of two hours late, it is uncommon in Taiwan for a train to be more than about two minutes late at any station.  If you are late--you missed the train!

In Taiwan, any restaurant with the reverse-Nazi symbol (Buddhist symbol) on display will have Buddhist-vegetarian food, so if you prefer vegetarian, you don't even need to read the Chinese menu in such a place, everything will be vegetarian--and these restaurants are fairly common.  Some of them have a buffet-style, all-you-can eat, option.  Women tend to like food, and trying new things.  I would not say that Taiwanese food is a special as perhaps Japanese or Korean food might be, but there are some unique items in Taiwan that you and your wife might like to try, if only for the experience! ... like "stinky tofu."  In one of the beautiful Buddhist restaurants on a high hill overlooking the Yilan/Jiaosi area, they served a peanut tofu (tofu made from peanuts, instead of from soybeans).  That was amazing!

Taipei 101, once the tallest building in the world, is nice to tour.  There are some nice hotsprings, the Sun-Moon Lake resort area is beautiful up in the mountains of central Taiwan, and there are some good places to go shopping--but I think you have this virtually anywhere.

In Hong Kong, prices were through the roof.  I bought very, very little while I was there, it was all so pricey.  Singapore seemed pretty crowded with urbanization, but next-door Malaysia was beautiful.  I'd say the Malaysian culture is more similar to Thailand, though, and would be less special/exotic to a Thai.

In my opinion, Taiwan is one of the more Westernized countries in Asia.  They drive on the same side of the road as in America, use 110-volt electricity like America, and even use American-style NTSC television, unlike most places which use PAL or SECAM.

But there are limitations to any destination, and Taiwan may or may not suit your interests.  One thing to prepare for with Taiwan: rain and tropical storms, especially during the typhoon season.  In Taiwan, if a typhoon strikes the island, the 24-hours of landfall are declared public holiday, and all businesses close.  People will hole up at home.  The buildings are well-built, so fatalities are rare, and usually limited to those who dared to go outside during the storm and were struck by debris--unless there is a major flooding event, which can be more devastating.

Good post, Taiwan interests me.

8 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

The buildings are well-built, so fatalities are rare, and usually limited to those who dared to go outside during the storm and were struck by debris--

I was naively wandering around downtown Taipei during a monsoon when a big sign blew off somewhere and smashed to the ground where I had just walked. I decided to take cover and dashed into an open karaoke place up some narrow stairs. I was the only patron and spent a pleasant hour talking to the hostess who was a student. I hooked up next day with her and her friend and they gave me a guided tour of the city and the fantastic national museum.

• Thanks 2

First a big thank you to every one for your comments and suggestions , they were just what I was looking for. The reason I never brought up my wife’s thoughts on this planned holiday trip is due to the fact that I want to surprise her , when Ive completed my research I will of course talk to her and get her opinion on the proposed destination.

Just looking through some of the comments …….

Japan

I'm sure your wife would like Japan 
Went to Japan it was just one big shopping trip
Japan – Awesome 
Japan – bland 
Japan is a yawn 
Japan could be very tiring.
I would hit Japan first. Easy to get around and plenty to see 
Japan is fantastic! 
Very bland
Without doubt. The best from the proposed list 
Totally different to Thailand.  everything was an adventure.
Tokoyo is amazing.

Vietnam 

I would take her to Vietnam 
You won't go wrong with Vietnam

Hong Kong 

Hong Kong is expensive 
Hong Kong - okay for a few days
Hong Kong hectic city state.
like spending a week in a shopping mall

Singapore  

Singapore - boring after 2 days
Singapore is clean with great  food and Thais love it.
Singapore would be easiest and good  for  two weeks
Hate Singapore, zero character, totally plastic 
Good for 4 days, wouldn't recommend longer as it's a tiny country.

Malaysia 

Malaysia - my least favorite country on earth
 Penang is a good outing, but again only for a day or two.

China
China - fascinating but difficult and unfriendly

Vietnam 
I would second Vietnam as an interesting place to visit

Turkey
she loved it.

Again Thanks to every one , its appreciated , any further comments or suggestions most welcome.

• Like 2

I second steven100's suggestion of a cruise, for many reasons including that you get to see a variety of countries on day trips, use an agent to help you with visas, but it should not be difficult because you are on a cruise, therefore probably a bonafide tourist.  Also, on a cruise, she is safe to wander around the ship on her own without fear.

If budget is a factor, then Vietnam has plenty of places to see for 10 or more days, and is quite cheap.

Bon Voyage!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CanadaSam said:

I second steven100's suggestion of a cruise, for many reasons including that you get to see a variety of countries on day trips, use an agent to help you with visas, but it should not be difficult because you are on a cruise, therefore probably a bonafide tourist.  Also, on a cruise, she is safe to wander around the ship on her own without fear.

If budget is a factor, then Vietnam has plenty of places to see for 10 or more days, and is quite cheap.

Bon Voyage!

Have you ever been sea sick......????  ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

Have you ever been sea sick......????  ?

Oh don't be silly transam, I'm sure even you know that cruise ships now are so large, and have automatic stabilizers to prevent any rolling movement etc. that seasickness is extremely rare on cruises these days....

BTW I had a Transam many years ago, 6.6 liter, fastest thing I ever drove! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CanadaSam said:

Oh don't be silly transam, I'm sure even you know that cruise ships now are so large, and have automatic stabilizers to prevent any rolling movement etc. that seasickness is extremely rare on cruises these days....

BTW I had a Transam many years ago, 6.6 liter, fastest thing I ever drove! 

So you think folk don't get sea sick on big boats............????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Have taken my girl several times to Bali and she loves the place.

No need for any visa's for her or yourself to enter, easy to fly there and hotel and food/beer costs are about the same as Thailand....Great place to go.

I have also taken her on cruises out of Singapore but alas since covid cruises have not restarted as of yet.

Have a great trip.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/29/2022 at 7:34 PM, BigStar said:

Good suggestions here. Japan, Europe.

Since it's a first trip, if you want a place beautiful, exotic, interesting but not overwhelming, and still comfortable for Thais: Bali. Took a Thai lady there years ago and she loved it. Know an older lady who traveled there w/ her daughter and they both loved it, would like to go back.

Do Thais need a visa for Bali? Sorry, just read they don't.

Edited by giddyup

I'd do Kyoto and nearby attractions for a chill but full 2 weeks. Mount Koyasan is like a dream. Osaka is like Tokyo used to be.

You can fly from Osaka to Okinawa now for not a lot of money (Hawaii on a budget). Or do Tokyo and stuff around it.

Tokyo and Kyoto in the same 2 week trip is a little rushed and offers you no in-between stops.

Edited by LaosLover
  • Thumbs Up 1