I want to take my Thai wife on holiday – looking for suggestions.

Custard boy

On 8/29/2022 at 9:18 PM, Kinnock said:

6. Bali - fun, but not very different to a Thai island.

Yes. No, very different. Little comparison, really. You'd need to travel all over Thailand for attractions concentrated in Bali--and more unique to Bali.

Besides that, the tourist experience offered is of a much more international standard while preserving local color. I don't know about the rest of Indonesia, but Bali has its act together. Nobody thinks any Thai island really has, and complaints are always legion. I'd never care to go back to Phuket, for example. Bali, in a heartbeat.

55 Best Things to Do in Bali (Indonesia)

Edited by BigStar
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Custard boy said:

After talking to my wife she said that several of her Thai friends had taken a holiday In Turkey and they really enjoyed the experience . So has any one here been to Turkey or have any thoughts about taking a holiday there.  

My daughter and a couple of her friends went on an organised tour, really enjoyed it, was a 10hr flight fom Bangkok to Istanbul. She's also been to Japan twice, Maldives, which she enjoyed. 

Edited by roo860
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, roo860 said:

My daughter and a couple of her friends went on an organised tour, really enjoyed it, was a 10hr flight fom Bangkok to Istanbul. She's also been to Japan twice, Maldives, which she enjoyed. 

Thanks for comment ????

In the conversations Ive had with my wife it seems that there are two destinations that she

seems to be interested about . I think the reason she is interested in these two destinations

is because she has read some where on Thai social media glowing reports from other Thai’s

that have visited the two destinations shown below.

1. Japan

2. Turkey

Ive had a quick look on google about those two holiday destinations and as some one who is not well travelled like my self,  sorting out independent travel plans seems a bit intimidating and daunting especially for Japan where it seems like you have to pre book many things months ahead and have a fully planned travel itinerary for when you land in Japan. You mention an organised tour , I like the word ‘’ organised ‘’ but I have a funny feeling that taking an organised tour would work out more expensive in the end.

Cruise around Japan if you can afford it. Still Asia, but just so different! You'll both love it. 

And it's now a LOT cheaper than it was. 

Google Gary Bembridge on YouTube, he's one of the best cruise experts, the videos are an education and a real armchair vacation too, and don't worry about getting seasick, there's a jab nowadays for that!

PS We did this cruise in Autumn 2019 and there were three other Farang/Thai couples aboard. 

Highly recommend a cruise at least once in your life. You'll feel like royalty visit a different port every day, and the food, live shows, and fun activities are endless and all inclusive. 

Edited by chalawaan

25 minutes ago, Custard boy said:

Thanks for comment ????

In the conversations Ive had with my wife it seems that there are two destinations that she

seems to be interested about . I think the reason she is interested in these two destinations

is because she has read some where on Thai social media glowing reports from other Thai’s

that have visited the two destinations shown below.

1. Japan

2. Turkey

Ive had a quick look on google about those two holiday destinations and as some one who is not well travelled like my self,  sorting out independent travel plans seems a bit intimidating and daunting especially for Japan where it seems like you have to pre book many things months ahead and have a fully planned travel itinerary for when you land in Japan. You mention an organised tour , I like the word ‘’ organised ‘’ but I have a funny feeling that taking an organised tour would work out more expensive in the end.

Japan may seem daunting but the rewards are amazing.  And it is not as hard as it looks.  Just pick 2-3 cities that you like the sound of.  We did:  Tokyo.  Kawaguchi (for Mount Fuji), Sapporo (for snow), Kyoto (for scenery and culture).  Book accommodation (we used Airbnb in Tokyo and Kyoto) and the most important thing buy a JR Rail Pass before you go.  $229 for seven days, or $361 for 14 days, and it gives you absolutely unlimited rail travel.  For an extra 25% or so you can go Green Class which is first class, well worth it.

https://www.jrpass.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuIfrw-_F-gIVY5_CCh1PHgYiEAAYASAAEgLa1vD_BwE

They mail you your passes.  When you get to Japan you go to any JR Rail office in any station and just tell them all the places you want to go and they will book the trains and reserve seats, and yes, this includes bullet trains - as many as you like.  And nothing to pay at all.  They speak English and are very helpful.  Then you're good to go.  It's an amazing country, so if you decide you want to take a trip to somewhere else that you hadn't planned just go in to a JR Rail office and tell them and they'll book it.  The bullet trains are an experience in themselves.

Once you have all your rail journeys booked (do it on day one) then you have no more worries, just follow the instructions.  Tokyo can be a bit daunting to get around by train at first, but it's all quite logical.

Turkey is also fantastic and a popular place to visit (I have Thai friends there now).  It's a long time since I've been though.  I expect much easier than Japan, but the adventure and experience of Japan is something I'll never forget.