Reception at Suvarnabhumi immigration for Filipina

1 hour ago, AsianAtHeart said:

If someone knows the answers to these questions, I'd sure appreciate enlightenment.

I can answer this, but will ignore the replies telling me I am totally wrong.

With visa exemption, Immigration has the responsibility of qualifying arrivals to determine if their request for visa exempt entry is appropriate. There are no objective criteria, really, only individual opinions, though Police Orders at various times have used vague terms like "consistent with regular tourism". Those denied a visa exemption can grumble, but as with denied visa applications at consulates, the officials have discretion.

With visas, the situation is different. The job of determining whether you qualify for a visa lies with the embassy/consulate. When you arrive with a visa, officials are not supposed to make arbitrary decisions on whether they like the fact that you were issued the visa. The Immigration Act is very clear on the reasons under which you must be denied entry, and equally clear that they have no right to deny entry for any reason not explicitly specified in the Act.

As a result, officials at all airports have the explicit right to deny you a visa exemption, and will sometimes do so. Since the rules are unclear on what constitutes appropriate versus inappropriate use of visa exempt entry, some airports and some individual officials are less tolerant than others, but they have discretion and (as with consular officials processing visas) their decision is final.

As stated above, the rules on entry with visas are supposed to be clear cut. You must be denied entry or must be admitted, according to the Immigration Act. Up until about 10 years ago, this policy was followed at all entry points (certainly as far as airport arrivals from first world countries was concerned). Increasingly, however, and especially in the last five years, officials at some airports have decided to give themselves powers that the law does not grant them, and refuse to honour some visas.

The overall effect is that denied entry when arriving without a visa is much more common than if you have a valid visa. In most cases (the main exceptions being blacklisted persons or those with no money) denial of entry is improper if you have a visa.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

Why do you think Covid extensions continued for tourists long after it was easy for people to leave? Why do you think the authorities are lengthening initial stays for people entering visa exempt or with visas on arrival? I would argue it is because they want to maximise tourism revenue until the tourism sector recovers.

Sure, they were trying to deter long stay tourism in 2019, and certainly there are some in Immigration who want to do so even in the current climate. However, I do not think that is the feeling among most in authority.

I am not reading all of this extensive thread, but the first part of your comment is something I do not agree with. Then of course to each their opinion.

People who have been here 1-2 years on Covid extensions did basically nothing for the tourism industry. Which needs people who use hotels and resorts, guided tours, restaurants, shopping, and so on every single day. The average tourist leaves on the ground on average 5000B/day.

People who are here long-term, like you, I, and covid-extensioners, follow a very different pattern. Sure, there might be some contribution to the economy from rentals and food, but that is not the tourist industry.

In my view, the main reason why they kept covid extensions all this time was to justify the continuation of the state of emergency.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

She must love her boyfriend very much indeed .

Must be crazily in-love with him to take such measures just to be with him .

Taking all those risks just to be by his side .

So romantic , pure love.....................................

Bitter