The Notting Hill Gate Carnival in London hosts over a million people in two days

8 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Bound to be bit of trouble. 

Always trouble at all the events in UK of some sort. 

Use to go to rock concerts arranged by the Hell's Angels motorbike club for years only remember one killing during the events. 

Never went to Not/hill Carnival, can't say anymore what my Dad use to call it. 

I worked at Portobella road street market for the local council some years ago, the carnival is a gathering of thousands of people that do not want to follow the normal rules of the area, people that live in the notting hill area where the carnival is held barricade their homes and remain inside at all times the carnival is on.

as  a lot of the attendees are violent, non law abiding, normal local council staff refuse to work the carnival as did i

Stabbings, theft, assault both sexual and non sexual, muggings, urinating on people's property and worse, drug related crime, are rife, just look at the crime figures for the event. 

its time the event was cancelled or scaled down in some way.

already this year there are 100's of reports of assault, one death and 8 sexual assaults

Edited by steve187
  • Like 2

Great news its back on, been a few times, went to the last one just before covid hit, would have liked to go to the one last week but couldn't manage it so next year for sure. Great street food too

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1

It's a dreadful  event and I like big crowded events but since it started the police  caused trouble and fights over marijuana which is stupid. The early riots were anti police riots but in the 80s anti what 'steamers' targeted white women and their handbags. The swrious crime then became more gang based and more violent.  But a lot of the crime is ordinary people fighting- women are joining in an one girl received a bash for slapping a man. etc etc. Me an my mates had stopped going by the mid lane 80s because  is awful,  false, overcrowded,  seeing the filth dancing was sickening.  It's not ju that part of West London that's disrupted but south London,  northwest London anywhere there are big Caribbean  communities party all day and night Friday  to Monday. And now with  more DRILL  RAP  RAGGA and Reggaetón it's a hostile witches brew of simmering violence

Edited by The Hammer2021
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, coolcarer said:

One of the highlights of living in London being the many festivals available and this was one I have attended half a dozen times. Amazing cultural experience and a real family atmosphere in the day. Working in an inner London school a few of the students were involved in some of the processions. 

Nightime as with all festivals is a little different and moves to the more adult theme and can be a little edgy if not careful but that is the same with festivals all over the world. There was a Thai truck/float last time I was there too with traditional dancers. 

I just found the whole thing a bit too structured and at times overwhelmed  by police especially in the late 70s early 80s which is when I stopped going. As for festivals Thailand and Spain are probably the best countries in the world  for festivals. Especially Thailand.

Back to NHG - looking at footage from last weekend the incredible overcrowding at times looked very dangerous and frightening in a claustrophobic kind of way and I don't really trust the  police. But it's important that WE own OUR streets not just  corporations, businesses and certainly not the police. The history  of violence at the NHGC  was originally caused by racist police using the drug laws to intimidate and bully the  black community. If they had their own way they would ban it or move it. Thats what the bill wanted then and thats what they want know.

20 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

And now with  more DRILL  RAP  RAGGA and Reggaetón it's a hostile witches brew of simmering violence

Mega-let down that they're playing new stuff instead of roots and dub but I guess time marches on.

I was in Jamaica in '19 in a rum shack and I turned the locals on to Burning Spear who had never heard of him. But lets face it: 92% of Burning Spear's audience is white world music nerds like myself; just like I never saw many black faces at a BB King show.

Great memories of half a dozen carnivals in the aughts. I'd rock up to the Channel One sound system and chill out there all day. Reggae-ologists will know that Channel One was the home of Dub God, King Tubby, and yes, they still had his speakers.

Impossible to conceive of such a mixed race (not to mention mixed black race) event in the states. Brooklyn Carnival is much more segregated.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I just found the whole thing a bit too structured and at times overwhelmed  by police especially in the late 70s early 80s which is when I stopped going. As for festivals Thailand and Spain are probably the best countries in the world  for festivals. Especially Thailand.

Back to NHG - looking at footage from last weekend the incredible overcrowding at times looked very dangerous and frightening in a claustrophobic kind of way and I don't really trust the  police. But it's important that WE own OUR streets not just  corporations, businesses and certainly not the police. The history  of violence at the NHGC  was originally caused by racist police using the drug laws to intimidate and bully the  black community. If they had their own way they would ban it or move it. Thats what the bill wanted then and thats what they want know.

That’s before my time so I can’t comment, I was only born early 80’s. You get what you came for in my opinion, The groups I have always been there with go their for the carnival, it’s sights, experiences, cultural diversity and food. In the evenings we head to Camden to one of the canal bars. Awesome day and one I look forward to doing again when I return.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, coolcarer said:

That’s before my time so I can’t comment, I was only born early 80’s. You get what you came for in my opinion, The groups I have always been there with go their for the carnival, it’s sights, experiences, cultural diversity and food. In the evenings we head to Camden to one of the canal bars. Awesome day and one I look forward to doing again when I return.

I live in Brixton. But anyway I reject the buzz word  'cultural diversity'.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, coolcarer said:

I don’t do south of the river much and your rejection of a so called buzz word is fine by me. Each to their own.

So your belief in cultural  diversity does not include South London!. Thus my rejection of woke buzz words. Diversity = division as you have  so easily demonstrated. But I don't 'dip my white  toe in diversity and celebrate it for the weekend then return home' . I live in a diverse community but I've  never heard anybody round my way,  black or white  promoting diversity. Only activists and the white  middle classes parrot the diversity line. Currently there are complaints about white gentrification! It seems diversity is not really about acceptance or tolerance but something  quite  different.

• Confused 1

Used to go every year until, 85 then it had not been invaded by fat white wanabee tarts in feathers. Only went for the sound systems like coxsone and saxon, looks like hell these days. Just got too big and nasty, time to ban it or move elsewhere.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, proton said:

Used to go every year until, 85 then it had not been invaded by fat white wanabee tarts in feathers. Only went for the sound systems like coxsone and saxon, looks like hell these days. Just got too big and nasty, time to ban it or move elsewhere.

Well I know what you mean but banning it or even moving it would be yielding to the police. Yeah I remember loyd coxone- sure I saw an article on him recently- last  time I was home I got a great  vibe, a Brixton  vibe at a late nighters with a super  sound system Brixton  Buzz I think- just such good  music compared  to here in Pattaya which must  be the  worst  of the worst  in the world.  That night the all  nighters was Tulse Hill side and the  mixers were two  white longhair, top mixing skills and the audience  a real south London mixture, all ages,  all races, gender I noted the Africans mixing with the Jamaicans and us lot we 'the brixton white massiff' ha ha plus all the arty squatter crowd..with a wiff of south london edge etc but remarkable fun without a wiff of woke or 'diversity'. It makes me despair for the music scene here, often  the best is Thai..... Jah wobble came here to do some  dub mixing with Morlam BTW

Edited by The Hammer2021

12 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Well I know what you mean but banning it or even moving it would be yielding to the police. Yeah I remember loyd coxone- sure I saw an article on him recently- last  time I was home I got a great  vibe, a Brixton  vibe at a late nighters with a super  sound system Brixton  Buzz I think- just such good  music compared  to here in Pattaya which must  be the  worst  of the worst  in the world.  That night the all  nighters was Tulse Hill side and the  mixers were two  white longhair, top mixing skills and the audience  a real south London mixture, all ages,  all races, gender I noted the Africans mixing with the Jamaicans and us lot we 'the brixton white massiff' ha ha plus all the arty squatter crowd..with a wiff of south london edge etc but remarkable fun without a wiff of woke or 'diversity'. It makes me despair for the music scene here, often  the best is Thai..... Jah wobble came here to do some  dub mixing with Morlam BTW

Morlam and luktung is just as interesting as anything that came out of the Caribbean, lovers rock, a UK genre is quite similar to a lot of luktung. My favourites were I Jah Man, Caroll Thompson, Jean Adebambo, Dennnis Brown, Gregory Issacs and June Lodge, did not really go for Dub, unless smoking and had a few red stripes!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coolcarer said:

No just means that I lived in North London and didn’t visit South much, knock yourself out on the rest of you post….lol

I know full well what it means!  Thank you very much. Diversity! Ya gotta laugh surely- somebody referencing their celebration of diversity  but doesn't cross the cultural  divide  of the river thames thus echoing the prejudice and fear existing since Elizabethen times maybe before. Good  luck. I do hope you  can see the irony..

28 minutes ago, proton said:

Morlam and luktung is just as interesting as anything that came out of the Caribbean, lovers rock, a UK genre is quite similar to a lot of luktung. My favourites were I Jah Man, Caroll Thompson, Jean Adebambo, Dennnis Brown, Gregory Issacs and June Lodge, did not really go for Dub, unless smoking and had a few red stripes!

Dennis Bovell claims he started lovers rock! But I've loved Dub since I was young in Moss Side Manchester also  very fond of ska

Issacs died  about 9 years ago  but people mixed him up  with another Issacs

Edited by The Hammer2021
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, LaosLover said:

Mega-let down that they're playing new stuff instead of roots and dub but I guess time marches on.

I was in Jamaica in '19 in a rum shack and I turned the locals on to Burning Spear who had never heard of him. But lets face it: 92% of Burning Spear's audience is white world music nerds like myself; just like I never saw many black faces at a BB King show.

Great memories of half a dozen carnivals in the aughts. I'd rock up to the Channel One sound system and chill out there all day. Reggae-ologists will know that Channel One was the home of Dub God, King Tubby, and yes, they still had his speakers.

Impossible to conceive of such a mixed race (not to mention mixed black race) event in the states. Brooklyn Carnival is much more segregated.

Interesting- good observations. So right about new stuff the drum  and bass / Reggaetón abomination..in the 70s I saw Bob Marley 3 times in Manchester  and London and when I listen to  the drill and Reggaetón it passes me off.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I know full well what it means!  Thank you very much. Diversity! Ya gotta laugh surely- somebody referencing their celebration of diversity  but doesn't cross the cultural  divide  of the river thames thus echoing the prejudice and fear existing since Elizabethen times maybe before. Good  luck. I do hope you  can see the irony..

You obviously don’t know what it means but hey, carry on whacking away I’m sure you’ll knock a nail in eventually….lol

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Interesting- good observations. So right about new stuff the drum  and bass / Reggaetón abomination..in the 70s I saw Bob Marley 3 times in Manchester  and London and when I listen to  the drill and Reggaetón it passes me off.

Just to brag, I saw Bob with Bunny and Peter still in the band.  I just missed seeing them at Max's Kansas City Bar with a very young and raw Bruce Springsteen opening.

The world moves on. Asking young people to listen to Roots Music is like demanding that I listen to Matt Monro. But bad example. Matt Monro is like Mozart compared to Reggaton.

At least you brightened my day in that I'm not missing anything by not being there. Holland -now those are Roots/Dub people.

6 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I live in Brixton.

My mother was from Brixton, left in 1950 for Brooklyn with my Navy dad.

When I would tell this to old dears in England, there'd be an eye roll: "Well, it's QUITE different now".

12 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Just to brag, I saw Bob with Bunny and Peter still in the band.  I just missed seeing them at Max's Kansas City Bar with a very young and raw Bruce Springsteen opening.

The world moves on. Asking young people to listen to Roots Music is like demanding that I listen to Matt Monro. But bad example. Matt Monro is like Mozart compared to Reggaton.

At least you brightened my day in that I'm not missing anything by not being there. Holland -now those are Roots/Dub people.

Yeah the Reggaetón is dread. It's a false flag. I don't agree entirely  about music,   youth, new and old styles etc because there is quality and there is intelligence and cultural significance and these transcend age . Younger people get some old  music and I  known there is good  new music too but a lot off rap/ drill/Reggaetón is as bad as endless heavy rock with mind numbing teen angst ACDC which I also can't stand.  Personally I'm a deadhead too.

I went to see Gregory Issacs in Negril. Show time was midnight. At 2 AM, we went back to the room to smoke a pile of pot. At 6 AM, we heard him come on. Live reggae = very hit and miss experience.

Except for Brit reggae. Linton Kwesi Johnson was riveting. Aswald was like a jazz band. Steel Pulse opened for The Talking Heads at Radio City and held their own. Twinkle Brothers opening for Hazel O Connor is another cherished gig off mine. And then the whole U sounds thing.

Brits may have drastically misunderstood the blues, but Reggae they truly got down to their bones and the world owes them big time for it. Without the English, Reggae would be at the level of say, Calypso in music consciousness.

Saw The Dead in Jamaica (worth a google). Yellowman opened. And ran over them like a tank.

Edited by LaosLover
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

I went to see Gregory Issacs in Negril. Show time was midnight. At 2 AM, we went back to the room to smoke a pile of pot. At 6 AM, we heard him come on. Live reggae = very hit and miss experience.

Except for Brit reggae. Linton Kwesi Johnson was riveting. Aswald was like a jazz band. Steel Pulse opened for The Talking Heads at Radio City and held their own. Twinkle Brothers opening for Hazel O Connor is another cherished gig off mine. And then the whole U sounds thing.

Brits may have drastically misunderstood the blues, but Reggae they truly got down to their bones and the world owes them big time for it. Without the English, Reggae would be at the level of say, Calypso in music consciousness.

Saw The Dead in Jamaica (worth a google). Yellowman opened. And ran over them like a tank.

Yes I've  seen yellow man long time  ago also LKJ a few times.  He used to tour  with Dennis Bovell Dub Band but he's retired  now.

John Mayall- misunderstood the blues

BTW Bob Marley  dad was an English  officer.

Wow!  The dead live in the caribean- top stuff

I still listen to them. but ive been to the UK Bristol and South london on my last two UK visits and very impressed with the  music compared to Pattaya- put your  f chin hand up sh!t

Also plan B and the  streets did great stuff albeit 10 years ago