How to mark positions from plastic pipes in walls?

On 9/1/2022 at 1:00 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

But how about irregular pipes like i.e. drainage pipes from ACs? They are somewhere in the wall and they need a slope.

That they need a slope doesn't mean it has to be a 45 degree angle.

You just need a very slight downwards slope of a few degrees, so that the water will flow down by gravity.

a.png.15b1409772183413f275a11c3a3e61ba.png

Your installation looks like the blue line on the picture, but it should probably look like the green line.

If you put some wire, or any other metal together with the PVC pipe in the wall you can find it with such a metal detector as you posted.

21 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

That they need a slope doesn't mean it has to be a 45 degree angle.

You just need a very slight downwards slope of a few degrees, so that the water will flow down by gravity.

a.png.15b1409772183413f275a11c3a3e61ba.png

Your installation looks like the blue line on the picture, but it should probably look like the green line.

If you put some wire, or any other metal together with the PVC pipe in the wall you can find it with such a metal detector as you posted.

Thanks for your answer and all the other answers from other members.

We changed it already to something similar to your green lines.

Now we can say i.e. there is a plastic pipe somewhere between height of 2m to 2.10m in that area. And that is good enough, at least for me, to not put any holes in the wall on that level in that area.

What I still find somehow sad is the fact that someone like me, who never installed any AC, has to point out something like this to people who installed ACs since 20 years. 

• Like 1

If the corner of the two green lines is exposed to the attic, put a T there and extend to 6-12 inches above the level of the evaporator condensate pan. Makes it easier to clean the vertical line and gives you an eye to see you have cleaned out the horizontal run.  Also serves as a siphon break for the vertical. Just make sure the extension is well above the top of the pan so it cannot overflow if the vertical gets plugged.

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks for your answer and all the other answers from other members.

We changed it already to something similar to your green lines.

Now we can say i.e. there is a plastic pipe somewhere between height of 2m to 2.10m in that area. And that is good enough, at least for me, to not put any holes in the wall on that level in that area.

What I still find somehow sad is the fact that someone like me, who never installed any AC, has to point out something like this to people who installed ACs since 20 years. 

Similar here with an aircon installer.

SWMBO decided that the veranda had to closed in, so 3 compressors had to be moved. 

First the aircon movers were going to run the inverter pipes 2.5 m on top of the veranda tiles. That was a no go for old people.

I said run them in the ceiling. So they were going to run the drainage line from the aircon sump, vertically up 0.3m (with no pump) then 2.5 m horizontally in the ceiling, then 2m down the outside wall. 

So that mob were let go. With the next mob we installed 3 pumps on the drain sumps outlets and 5 years later still working OK.

• Like 1