British man dead, second seriously injured after motorbike collision with a garbage truck

snoop1130

14 hours ago, ozimoron said:

The truck may not have had an indicator light but typically that big white light you see in the photo stays on. The alcohol found only confirms they are drinkers. That and the time of night are circumstantial evidence they had been drinking. There are not too many other plausible reasons why a motorcycle would run into the back of a near stationary truck with enough force to kill the passenger. Of course, none of this is conclusive but Occam's razor leads to that conclusion.

Oh give it a break Sherlock!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Maybe the CCTV that they have will prove you right.  Or wrong.

Maybe.....and statement from motorbike driver when he is well enough

but will be surprised if we ever hear more about it. happens a lot.

regards worgeordie

19 hours ago, Bobtheblob said:

Rip, but have to think why they searching under the seat and stating they found alcohol before tests have been conducted.

A "find under the seat" and a test are two completely different things with their own time lines...

2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Do you have vision issues? I am not your personal assistant.

I'm sorry but you clearly don't even have the most minimal gasp of the issues surrounding road conditions in relation to road safety. If you were my PA, you'd be sacked - but I have to point out, you wouldn't have been hired in the first place - you application is a joke.

People need to be VERY CAREFUL - how they view the CCTV.

All the CCTv shows is that the bike was out of view behind the truck. It doesn't explain how they got there or even which direction were they going? Were they staying at rooms up the road by the prison/dump? Were they coming or going?

Was their intended direction up the same road as the truck or was it their intention to carry on down the main road towards Lipa Noi or Nathon?

If they were travelling in the same direction as the truck, it looks like they  on the wrong side of the road and had stopped when trying to pass the turning lorry.

If they were coming out of the side road then they would have been in a logical position.

people who think video is an unbiased, analogical piece of evidence are deluding themselves

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, bananafish said:

2 men on a motorbike at 1am carrying beers. I'd place my bets that they were drinking. 

".............1 am carrying beers" Wrong - the beers were under the seat of the bike!

"...........they were drinking" Wrong, they were on a motor bike following a garbage truck!

OK - call me pedant if you must!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thunglom said:

People need to be VERY CAREFUL - how they view the CCTV.

All the CCTv shows is that the bike was out of view behind the truck. It doesn't explain how they got there or even which direction were they going? Were they staying at rooms up the road by the prison/dump? Were they coming or going?

Was their intended direction up the same road as the truck or was it their intention to carry on down the main road towards Lipa Noi or Nathon?

If they were travelling in the same direction as the truck, it looks like they  on the wrong side of the road and had stopped when trying to pass the turning lorry.

If they were coming out of the side road then they would have been in a logical position.

people who think video is an unbiased, analogical piece of evidence are deluding themselves

Still trying to blame the Brits and apologies for the Thai ???

You’ve gone a bit too native with this thinking... are you Thai ?

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Still trying to blame the Brits and apologies for the Thai ???

You’ve gone a bit too native with this thinking... are you Thai ?

Probably the most pathetic comment so far.  cant you not read? Have you not read what I said about blame?

I'm using critical thinking - some thing that many seen very devoid of (Google it)

Do you REALLY see this accident it terms of race and blame!?!?! I thought you had more intelligence than that.

Why are the motorcyclists on the wrong side of the road? Just answer that.

Edited by Thunglom

21 minutes ago, sambum said:

".............1 am carrying beers" Wrong - the beers were under the seat of the bike!

"...........they were drinking" Wrong, they were on a motor bike following a garbage truck!

OK - call me pedant if you must!

not the word that comes to mind.

Why not explain yourself properly?

They may have been carrying beer to drink later

This doesn't mean they were drunk then

However they could have been drinking for hours and decided to take some home for a nightcap

either way the presence of booze on the bike proves nothing.  - except how baseless and unfounded some of the thinking on this thread is......

the way to find out how much thy were drinking is for the police to breath test them - s is the law in most countries - however the Thai police are completely untrained and therefore not competent to deal with an accident like this. Not only does this mean we are unlikely eve to find out, we are also not going to learn a thing for future roadsafety.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

Probably the most pathetic comment so far.  cant you not read? Have you not read what I said about blame?

I'm using critical thinking - some thing that many seen very devoid of (Google it)

Do you REALLY see this accident it terms of race and blame!?!?! I thought you had more intelligence than that.

Thats the major issue with responding to daft posts... It seems I was dragged down to your level and now you are trying to beat with me experience !

And no.. I didn’t mention race, I mentioned nationality and accused you of going native with the manner in which you have attempted to divert blame from the lorry driver. 

29 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

Why are the motorcyclists on the wrong side of the road? Just answer that.

This critical thinking of yours...  erm...   The motorcyclists were turning left...  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, kentrot said:

Watch the video - nothing to do with alcohol.

The truck cut the corner turning right at the intersection and ran over the bike . Maybe they were in the driver's  "blind spot" .

Agree 100%, poor souls are another sad accidental tragedy on Thais roads.

On 9/1/2022 at 8:17 PM, steven100 said:

oh dear ... poor guy, what a terrible way to go ... killed by a garbage truck.

I wonder were they very drunk or speeding ...  garbage trucks usually have a flashing light or they are very well lit up. 

RIP ..

Get your facts right, they were stopped at an intersection when they were crushed by the truck which was turning

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Thunglom said:

I'm sorry but you clearly don't even have the most minimal gasp of the issues surrounding road conditions in relation to road safety. If you were my PA, you'd be sacked - but I have to point out, you wouldn't have been hired in the first place - you application is a joke.

You have reading issues, you can't afford me to work for you and then there is this thing that i don't work for clowns.

• Haha 1

On 9/2/2022 at 1:18 AM, vangrop said:

The rescue workers arrived at the scene to find a damaged motorbike near a garbage truck owned by the Koh Samui Municipality. Under the motorbike seat rescue staff stated they found cans and bottles of beer.

Here we go again. The 2 Farangs were obviously drunken so they are the culprits, Van driver innocent, Case closed no further investigation needed.

You can smell alcohol on a corpse, I should know, I've picked up enough remains off roads in my time. 

12 hours ago, Thunglom said:

not the word that comes to mind.

Why not explain yourself properly?

They may have been carrying beer to drink later

This doesn't mean they were drunk then

However they could have been drinking for hours and decided to take some home for a nightcap

either way the presence of booze on the bike proves nothing.  - except how baseless and unfounded some of the thinking on this thread is......

the way to find out how much thy were drinking is for the police to breath test them - s is the law in most countries - however the Thai police are completely untrained and therefore not competent to deal with an accident like this. Not only does this mean we are unlikely eve to find out, we are also not going to learn a thing for future roadsafety.

"Why not explain yourself properly?"

I thought I had by being pedantic ("nit picking") i.e.

If you interpret my post in the way that it was intended, you will see that I am in agreement with you. The fact that they had beers under the seat of the bike does not mean that they had been drinking - possibly they had, and the beers were a "carry out" (as I mentioned in another post) but the fact that they were in possession of beer (not "carrying" it) doesn't prove or disprove that they had been drinking earlier.

And the above logic also applies to "........ they were drinking" 

To paraphrase, the fact that they had beers under the seat of the motorbike proves only that they were in possession of beer at 1 am - not that they were drunk, or had been drinking earlier, or were even drinking "at the time" That statement implies that they were drinking while riding the motor bike, when the accident happened, which is obviously not the case!

On Koh Samui, garbage trucks and motorbikes do not go well together. Some readers may remember this sad story from March 2016.

Early morning, young Frenchman smashed head first into the front grill of a parked garbage truck. He was not wearing a crash helmet and so died immediately. 

Samuitimes included photo in their report:

https://www.samuitimes.com/french-man-dies-in-samui-after-embedding-his-head-in-a-garbage-truck/

Edited by silver sea

3 hours ago, chalawaan said:

I wonder if the deceased or one on life support ever posted here?

RIP

Getting bladdered in Thailand then riding home is always a laugh, until it isn't. 

3 hours ago, chalawaan said:

You can smell alcohol on a corpse, I should know, I've picked up enough remains off roads in my time. 

This is an outstanding example of 'not putting your brain into gear before mouth (fingers) go into neutral’.... 

Watch the video and you’ll feel very silly.... 

Edited by richard_smith237

Two possibly drunk tourists out at 1 AM driving an unfamiliar motorbike on dark, unfamiliar, and sometimes challenging roads.  What could possibly go wrong?   The dead tourist would likely still be alive if there was a ban on tourists renting motorbikes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/2/2022 at 12:29 AM, worgeordie said:

Please read carefully ,if you can ,what i wrote , I said MAYBE , case far from closed,

if the driver of motorbike recovers then we will MAYBE nearer to the truth....

regards worgeordie

Passed up Brits  driving drunk...A very common occurrence here.  Just lucky they didn't  kill anyone  else

5 hours ago, sambum said:

"Why not explain yourself properly?"

I thought I had by being pedantic ("nit picking") i.e.

If you interpret my post in the way that it was intended, you will see that I am in agreement with you. The fact that they had beers under the seat of the bike does not mean that they had been drinking - possibly they had, and the beers were a "carry out" (as I mentioned in another post) but the fact that they were in possession of beer (not "carrying" it) doesn't prove or disprove that they had been drinking earlier.

And the above logic also applies to "........ they were drinking" 

To paraphrase, the fact that they had beers under the seat of the motorbike proves only that they were in possession of beer at 1 am - not that they were drunk, or had been drinking earlier, or were even drinking "at the time" That statement implies that they were drinking while riding the motor bike, when the accident happened, which is obviously not the case!

In all likelihood they were passed and driving drunk not caring  about anyone...that's the 99% likely scenario.

• Like 2