British man dead, second seriously injured after motorbike collision with a garbage truck

snoop1130

37 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Where in the article does it say that the motorbike crashed into the back of the truck ? The driver of the truck said he was turning into a side road, so the point of impact with the truck is, as yet, undefined.

The truck in that photo did a U turn?

3 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

Who said it would be their first drink? who knows when they purchased the beers, who knows what they had been doing earlier in the evening. - My point was why mention the beers located under the seat, were they tested for alcohol consumption?

1am motorbike dangerous sober or not. Samui has bad roads too.

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

How silly do you feel now ????   :post-4641-1156693976::cheesy:

....and why do people write or say ‘period’ as if they control the debate.. its just like the fools who write ‘I rest my case’...  

Full stop !! ????

Truck driver clearly 100% at fault... (was the truck driver drunk ?)

Whoa ... didn't see that coming.  Holly krap ????

Apologies to any family & friends who may have read my earlier post.

R I P

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, drtreelove said:

As a former first responder paramedic ambulance attendant, it is my opinion that you can blame a drunk for everything and you would be correct 90% of the time. 

It is unfortunate that even first responders are not trained in the science of road safety. The fist step in REAL road safey is to give up the blame game and focus on protecting the public. Rad safety is a public health issue

As a first responder you will also be aware of the dreadful situation in Thailand re first responders. and emergency services. The number of lives lost due to lack of paramedics and quick responses is not calculated in Thailand..

Edited by Thunglom

16 hours ago, Bobtheblob said:

Rip, but have to think why they searching under the seat and stating they found alcohol before tests have been conducted.

they found alcohol didn't do a test to see if they had drunk any ..if the bottles and cans were still full perhaps not eh

15 hours ago, Thunglom said:

This amateur apportioning of blame needs to stop. 

It has nothing to do with road safety and is counter-productive. These comments are made by people who have no details of what happened but just love to make assumptions.

The issues here are not to blame people but to find out what happened and how it can be prevented from happening again.

There are a lot more factors that need to be taken into account than simplistically blaming a drunk for everything.

What about emergency services? were they quick and well equipped? did they receive car on the spot?

What was the road surface like? What about street lighting and vehicle lighting, what were the road and weather conditions,

Was the scene of the accident analysed by a trained crash crew? - where is the crash report.

In all likelihood we will never know, we'll just get a quick off-the-cuff hypothesis from the local cop who is trying to justify his job.

Until this attitude amongst the authorities, the public and expats changes there will be no improvement in road safety in Thailand.

Blowing my own trumpet here, before I came out I did the CBT in the UK first. (compulsory bike training you must do before going out with L plates).  Most Farangs have done nothing you can see it in the way they ride. I can say it helps so much with regard to avoiding all the idiots on the road and knowing how to keep safe. I won't go on but it makes a huge difference to your awareness.  

17 hours ago, vangrop said:

Here we go again. The 2 Farangs were obviously drunken so they are the culprits, Van driver innocent, Case closed no further investigation needed.

"Case closed no further investigation needed".

Here we go again, a Thaivisa member posting misleading and factually incorrect information.

17 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

we've said it 1 million times.  Please, motorbikes in Thailand are super, super, super dangerous; especially if you are old.    

If you must, then you must and then just take the best precautions you can.   I understand bicycles, because that's a little bit of exercise; however, also dangerous.

Luckily for me, the first time I got picked up on a motorbike we crashed after about three minutes.   Car cut us off, and I jumped off the back, no harm.   After that day, never got on another one.  That was 6 years ago.   Many people have been mad I won't get on one, whatever, it's my life.  

If there is a way you can avoid being on one, consider it................

Been here more than 11 years, I have been on the back of a bike once, that was in my very early days, never again, the mrs has a bike, I won't go anywhere near it, not now, not ever. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bobtheblob said:

Rip, but have to think why they searching under the seat and stating they found alcohol before tests have been conducted.

Searching?  Where did it use that word?

Perhaps the seat came open due to the impact, perhaps they were just looking for identification?  Are you suggesting that they were up to no good?

18 hours ago, vangrop said:

The rescue workers arrived at the scene to find a damaged motorbike near a garbage truck owned by the Koh Samui Municipality. Under the motorbike seat rescue staff stated they found cans and bottles of beer.

Here we go again. The 2 Farangs were obviously drunken so they are the culprits, Van driver innocent, Case closed no further investigation needed.

I dont know about that location but where I live in Bangkok the garbage trucks drive slowly even on the main road. Sounds more likely the guys on the motorbike were somewhat intoxicated and ran into the truck.

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, worgeordie said:

"The garbage truck driver, Mr. Attaphon Wichean, 42, was waiting at the scene and told the Phuket Express, “I was turning in to a side road before I heard the crash. I’m not sure what exactly happened.”

Maybe what happened is you failed to indicate you were turning ,and this is why the

motorbike crashed into you.

Why?  It's no less likely that your speculation was not what happened

Edited by Liverpool Lou

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

I'm with you on that theory, Columbo.

If the beer cans / bottles were empty that is very suspicious, becaise why would the divers store their empty cans under the seat to take them with them?  People would throw them away or leave them at the place where they were drank. 

If they were unopened that means the guys did not drink the alcohol!!!  

Come on, have you never heard of "carry out"? Having a few drinks, then getting one or two to take home with you?

16 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:
15 hours ago, worgeordie said:

"The garbage truck driver, Mr. Attaphon Wichean, 42, was waiting at the scene and told the Phuket Express, “I was turning in to a side road before I heard the crash. I’m not sure what exactly happened.”

Maybe what happened is you failed to indicate you were turning ,and this is why the

Why?  It's no less likely that your speculation was not what happened

Which is why he wrote ‘maybe’...  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Here is another one for the conspiracy theorists.

Motorbike driving along and sees the garbage truck slowing down (brake lights) and indicating left, so the bike goes to overtake the truck.

At the last minute the truck swings to the right onto the wrong side of the road to make turning into the narrow lane more easy.

Happens all of the time in front of me when I am on my bike. Most roads on Samui are quite narrow once you are off the main ring road.

you appear to have a conspiracy theory of your own - 

BTW - It was turning off the main ring road.

3 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Road surface, street lighting, vehicle lighting, road and weather conditions? Have a look at the picture and you would know.

probably the most facetious comment so far.

I don't suppose you'd care to give us your assessment? Why not every other good-guesser has so far

Edited by Thunglom

15 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Maybe the CCTV that they have will prove you right.  Or wrong.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rwill said:

I don't see anywhere where it says they ran into the back of the truck.  Perhaps they were passing a slow vehicle just as it was making a turn.

No way to know what happened for sure from one photo of the aftermath.

I'm sure that the CCTV that they have of the accident will help clear it up.