British man dead, second seriously injured after motorbike collision with a garbage truck

snoop1130

12 hours ago, vangrop said:

The rescue workers arrived at the scene to find a damaged motorbike near a garbage truck owned by the Koh Samui Municipality. Under the motorbike seat rescue staff stated they found cans and bottles of beer.

Here we go again. The 2 Farangs were obviously drunken so they are the culprits, Van driver innocent, Case closed no further investigation needed.

"Here we go again. The 2 Farangs were obviously drunken so they are the culprits, Van driver innocent, Case closed no further investigation needed."

Maybe you should go and work for the RTP? You would fit in well?

Until a full crash investigation has taken place, nothing is obvious!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thunglom said:

Why people talk about alcohol under the seat being un-drunk - that's pure speculation

It was a fact , read the report.

More amateur crash analyses.

as is your post is about " maybe , possibly , speculate ". 

So like the rest of the posters , you don't really have any facts apart from you used to live near that location .

(I know this junction, I used to live near there I know this road from campaigning about the rubbish management).

Maybe it was you they were after......????

15 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Here is another one for the conspiracy theorists.

Motorbike driving along and sees the garbage truck slowing down (brake lights) and indicating left, so the bike goes to overtake the truck.

At the last minute the truck swings to the right onto the wrong side of the road to make turning into the narrow lane more easy.

Happens all of the time in front of me when I am on my bike. Most roads on Samui are quite narrow once you are off the main ring road.

Garbage trucks generally run on the exact same route day after day, they don't change their mind at the last minute.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, vangrop said:

The rescue workers arrived at the scene to find a damaged motorbike near a garbage truck owned by the Koh Samui Municipality. Under the motorbike seat rescue staff stated they found cans and bottles of beer.

Here we go again. The 2 Farangs were obviously drunken so they are the culprits, Van driver innocent, Case closed no further investigation needed.

Did they find any booze inside the garbage truck?

• Sad 1

A few years ago, a Thai friend of mine - and a cop at that! - died when his pick-up truck had an argument with a garbage lorry at a U-turn on Sukhumvit, somewhere near Sattahip. The video you have to watch when you get your drivers licence doesn't say it, but the sensible rule here is to give way to vehicles that are obviously larger and heavier, as it's silly to expect high driving standards from other people, let alone any form of defensive driving. In fact, I'm pretty sure when they're in school they must indoctrinate the kids in a Thai 'aggressive driving' course, lol.

13 hours ago, vangrop said:

No don't blame the farangs blame the Thais..this will make many happy ????

• Like 1

9 hours ago, worgeordie said:

"The garbage truck driver, Mr. Attaphon Wichean, 42, was waiting at the scene and told the Phuket Express, “I was turning in to a side road before I heard the crash. I’m not sure what exactly happened.”

Maybe what happened is you failed to indicate you were turning ,and this is why the

motorbike crashed into you.

regards worgeordie

Bingo. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, phetphet said:

Isn't that prison a bit out of the way? On the quieter side of the island? Funny place to be at 1 am. Maybe staying in a villa in the area. Hope the survivor has good insurance. 

It says at the entrance to the prison, but maybe it means on the ring road at the entrance road to the prison? And is the island garbage dump not in that vicinity? 

RIP to the deceased a lot of comments about drink this may not have been the case only time will tell but from experience and knowing the particular area well the Samui roads are lethal I have seen many bodies and bikes under lorries of all types over the years . Let’s hope the bike rider makes a speedy recovery 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, whereyougo said:

Loads if idiot drunk farang bike riders in pattaya and never seen no speeding garbage trucks so yeah it ain't rocket science DO NOT DRIVE DRUNK!!!! 

Lot of farang still want to roll the dice.. when it comes to drinking and riding a motorbike!  Sometimes the dice dont roll the way you want them to.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Lucky the two possibly drunk farang didn't kill a couple of  local kids.

Do we have a moral obligation  to report drunk drivers  before they hurt  themselves  or others? Should bars report possible drunk drivers to police when they are leaving the bar?

Is there  an argument for curtailing the motor cycle rent business especially  to foreigners often partying, drunk, drugged and on the  wrong  side of the road. Limit them to e scooters which  are still fun but less dangerous and less machismo

And what would a couple of local kids be doing out at 1 am in the morning in the vicinity of the local prison? Not exactly visiting hours!

And when the foreigners usually aren't drunk or partying, drunk or drugged" when they actually rent the motor bikes, how is the renter supposed to know that they will be "partying, drunk or drugged" later? (Of course, young Thais don't party, get drunk  or drugged and drive their motor bikes at high speed on the roads in the early hours of the morning - do they?) However, you have solved the problem by doing away with the motor bike rental business altogether ("curtailing") Maybe you mean adapting the rental business to rent only escooters to foreigners? Is that not a bit racist? Why not charge them up to 5 times what you would charge a Thai - they do that in public attractions don't they? 

Your post has more holes in it than a honeycomb!

Edited by sambum

2 minutes ago, sambum said:

And what would a couple of local kids be doing out at 1 am in the morning?

And when the foreigners usually aren't drunk or partying, drunk or drugged" when they actually rent the motor bikes, how is the renter supposed to know that they will be "partying, drunk or drugged" later? (Of course, young Thais don't party, get drunk  or drugged and drive their motor bikes at high speed on the roads in the early hours of the morning - do they?) However, you have solved the problem by doing away with the motor bike rental business altogether ("curtailing") Maybe you mean adapting the rental business to only rent escooters to foreigners? Is that not a bit racist? Why not charge them up to 5 times what you would charge a Thai - they do that in public attractions don't they? 

Your post has more holes in it than a honeycomb!

Was the bike a rental?

10 hours ago, whereyougo said:

Loads if idiot drunk farang bike riders in pattaya and never seen no speeding garbage trucks so yeah it ain't rocket science DO NOT DRIVE DRUNK!!!! 

Didn’t happen in Pattaya dude… 

• Haha 2

Just now, sambum said:

The person who made the post that I was replying to assumed that it was!

However, given that he presumably lived some distance from the bar area would imply that the bike was privately owned and was familiar with the roads, especially travelling at speed, which he most likely was.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

If the beers were under the seat they were not drinking them, maybe they had been shopping and intended to drink the beers once at their destination, why even mention the beers ........!!!

So at 1am they decided to have their first drink…lol

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Guderian said:

A few years ago, a Thai friend of mine - and a cop at that! - died when his pick-up truck had an argument with a garbage lorry at a U-turn on Sukhumvit, somewhere near Sattahip. The video you have to watch when you get your drivers licence doesn't say it, but the sensible rule here is to give way to vehicles that are obviously larger and heavier, as it's silly to expect high driving standards from other people, let alone any form of defensive driving. In fact, I'm pretty sure when they're in school they must indoctrinate the kids in a Thai 'aggressive driving' course, lol.

I remember hearing that when questioned who has the right of way on a roundabout,  frequent answers given by Thais were " whoever is on the roundabout first has right of way" or " whoever has the largest vehicle has right of way"!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sambum said:

I remember hearing that when questioned who has the right of way on a roundabout,  frequent answers given by Thais were " whoever is on the roundabout first has right of way" or " whoever has the largest vehicle has right of way"!

The first answer was correct, not that a roundabout was mentioned anywhere..

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, PB172111 said:

So at 1am they decided to have their first drink…lol

Doesn't state whether empty or full bottles, cans, so they were probably saving the empties.  You know, litter, 'save the planet' ... well done ????

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

The first answer was correct, not that a roundabout was mentioned anywhere..

I was the one who mentioned roundabout in answer to the following comment :-

"In fact, I'm pretty sure when they're in school they must indoctrinate the kids in a Thai 'aggressive driving' course, lol."

I didn't mention at any time that there was a roundabout involved in the accident that is the subject of the post.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sambum said:

Funny that - I always thought that you have to give way to traffic coming from the right? Ah well - live and learn!

If there’s no traffic signal or sign installed at a circle (rotary), a driver must give way to vehicles coming from his right. (500B)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

we've said it 1 million times.  Please, motorbikes in Thailand are super, super, super dangerous; especially if you are old.    

If you must, then you must and then just take the best precautions you can.   I understand bicycles, because that's a little bit of exercise; however, also dangerous.

Luckily for me, the first time I got picked up on a motorbike we crashed after about three minutes.   Car cut us off, and I jumped off the back, no harm.   After that day, never got on another one.  That was 6 years ago.   Many people have been mad I won't get on one, whatever, it's my life.  

If there is a way you can avoid being on one, consider it................

Whilst I appreciate the do good attitude, I need to let this out.

So you condone bicycles because they are a bit of excercise but warn against the use of motorbikes.

Seems like an arbitrary way of warning. Bicycles can be as dangerous, and are a way of life, just like motorbikes.

You crashed after 3 minutes on a bike and got scared, which is understandable. I drove hundreds of thousands of miles in 40 years, many in Thailand and never any issue.

Motorbikes are as avoidable as bikes. Many things we do are avoidable and not doing them reduce risk, but we do them anyway and accept the risk.

Sure, driving without experience or under the influence is wrong, and equally surely even 100 years experience doesn't immunise anyone, but hearing an emotional well wishing rant from someone without any motorbike experience is a bit hard for some.

mmexport1661854393850.jpg

13 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

we've said it 1 million times.  Please, motorbikes in Thailand are super, super, super dangerous; especially if you are old.    

If you must, then you must and then just take the best precautions you can.   I understand bicycles, because that's a little bit of exercise; however, also dangerous.

Luckily for me, the first time I got picked up on a motorbike we crashed after about three minutes.   Car cut us off, and I jumped off the back, no harm.   After that day, never got on another one.  That was 6 years ago.   Many people have been mad I won't get on one, whatever, it's my life.  

If there is a way you can avoid being on one, consider it................

"............we've said it 1 million times.............

Who's counting?