British man dead, second seriously injured after motorbike collision with a garbage truck

snoop1130

1662016169921-623x420.jpg

PHOTO: MGR Online

A British man died while another British man has sustained serious injuries after their motorbike collided with a garbage truck on Samui Island.

Emergency responders were notified of the accident at 1:00 A.M. today (September 1st) at the entrance of the Koh Samui District Prison.

The rescue workers arrived at the scene to find a damaged motorbike near a garbage truck owned by the Koh Samui Municipality. Under the motorbike seat rescue staff stated they found cans and bottles of beer.

Full Story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/09/01/one-british-man-dead-second-seriously-injured-after-motorbike-collision-with-a-garbage-truck-on-samui-island/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-09-01

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Sad 3
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Possibly because one is dead and other seriously injured?

At 1 AM, they were on a main road away from the main population centres and carrying alcohol. What were the chances that they were drunk and speeding?

the bike appears to have turned off the main road it is on the road to the dump.

2 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

the bike appears to have turned off the main road it is on the road to the dump.

We don't have enough evidence to really know but

"I was turning in to a side road" implies that he was still on the main road. Also, the sign is most likely located on the main road. The motorcyclist has run into the back of a turning truck. Death and serious injury imply speed. If he had just turned into a side road then there wouldn't be the speed factor required to result in that outcome. Maybe, but that's what I think happened.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Thunglom said:

More amateur coach analyses.

You can die on a motorbike at a stand still.

Yes, but that's not the more plausible likelihood is it? It's far less plausible, isn't it? My post was about the balance of probabilities, that should have been clear.

1 minute ago, Thunglom said:

Just try staying up and fall facedown onto the ground with a het or protecting your fall.

the bike is on the corner of the junction just inside the road - on the wrong side.

The truck has stopped on the side road.

I think a plausible explanation is that the motorcycle was attempting to overtake the truck without realising it was turning right. If they had been drunk they may have actually tried to turn into the side road as they couldn't react fast enough.

The problem is no-one will ever know because they will be no crash report.

In UK/EU every rod accident is calibrated and stored for future reference....Thailand has no such system so integer learns.

I CAN say that the roads on Samui are very badly surfaced, marked and lit - an at night it wouldn't be clear what is happening - regardless of how much they had or hadn't drunk.

We don't actually know if he hit the back head on - I would suggest that the bike more likely run under the back of the truck that had already completed most of the turn.

(I used to live near there I know this road from campaigning about the rubbish management).

Why people talk about alcohol under the seat being un-drunk - that's pure speculation - one could also speculate they had been drinking all afternoon and decided to take some home so they could carry on drinking - it had no bearing on the matter at all - except it indicates that one or both of them may drink alcohol.

If the truck was coming from Chaweng it was turning right.

The motorbike is on the right hand side of the entrance to the side road. poor lighting and poor road surface (was it wet?) would mean that a plausible explanation would be that the bike was overtaking a right turning vehicle

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

No it wasn't clear and you are accepting the evidence of the driver s fact - "turning" implies an action that goes from the main road to thesis road. The truck is on the side road in the photo. Your premise of speed is totally insupportable by citing death as an indicator. I think that rather looking objecy=tively at the evidence available you are trying to make up a story that fits in with the prejudgements you already hold.

I'm just suggesting variations on what may have happened, I'm try to demonstrate the futility of this. by giving you some examples

The language of my posts made it crystal clear that I was not insisting my opinion was definitely what happened. I merely laid out the evidence and drew some conclusions about what I thought probably happened and how the evidence supported that, just as you are. Nothing in myu post should have given you the impression I was accepting anything as fact, least of all what the driver said. If you are referring to his statement that he was turning into a side road then that would be more than evident (or not) to the police who attended the scene, especially as the truck follows the same route virtually every night of the week, like all garbage trucks. There was no realistic opportunity for the driver to lie about that.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, ozimoron said:

The language of my posts made it crystal clear that I was not insisting my opinion was definitely what happened. I merely laid out the evidence and drew some conclusions about what I thought probably happened and how the evidence supported that, just as you are. Nothing in myu post should have given you the impression I was accepting anything as fact, least of all what the driver said. If you are referring to his statement that he was turning into a side road then that would be more than evident (or not) to the police who attended the scene, especially as the truck follows the same route virtually every night of the week, like all garbage trucks. There was no realistic opportunity for the driver to lie about that.

And As said your premises were demonstrably wrong.

No real look at the evidence and just some ideas based on prejudice.

the evidence of the photo contradicts most of what you say.

now you are just talking nonsense trying to justify your original blunders you are trying to move the goal posts

"Possibly because one is dead and other seriously injured?

At 1 AM, they were on a main road away from the main population centres and carrying alcohol. What were the chances that they were drunk and speeding?" - you're trying to say they were drunk and speeding you are not postulating you're trying to say that's what happened with I would say LESS than a scant regard for logic.

"Death and serious injury imply speed" - no they don't - again you make adssumptions

.If he had just turned into a side road then there wouldn't be the speed f"actor required to result in that outcome. You are now trying to back up a false premise you made earlier

If it was in any doubt you then say - “that's what I think happened.”

you language is quite clear in black and white. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1