Marriage Visa - Income Required?

I'm from the US and married to a Thai Wife.  I have a marriage visa (non immigrant O) and have been previously extended by showing 400,000+ THB in my Thai Bank Account.  During my most recent extension though, the immigration officer gave the impression that if I wanted to be extended further, I should have a job in addition to the 400K in my bank account.  This wasn't explicitly stated but hinted at.  My financial situation is that I have enough savings to stay in Thailand for quite awhile and don't currently have "regular" income.  Am I technically required to have income to stay in Thailand in addition to the 400K or is this more of a discretionary thing depending on the office handling my case?  Also, from your guys' experiences, how stringent has immigration been in verifying income/occupation when already having the 400K typically required?  For example, do they ask to see things like work permit and pay slips?  I have income but it's from day trading and other online work and I don't currently have a work permit.

Thanks for the replies.  Yes I was surprised by what the IO said since this was never an issue previously and I've also never heard of needing both 400K AND 40K income, always understood it to be either/or.  Coming up on my renewal and trying to avoid any issues as rules and laws can feel very subjective and at the whim of the office/IO you're dealing with and can easily turn into quite the hassle if handled incorrectly.

• Like 1

Miscommunication or the Immi-officer didn’t know the regulations.

Part of the confusion & debate often encountered on this forum is a result of flawed Information passed on from a person in a position of relative authority who should but doesn’t know the regs. 

The Ops experience is a perfect example. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

Excellent way to cause yourself and the IO a conflict. Sheesh! Listen respectfully, maybe nod your head go on your way for another year.

Or just laugh at them. Maybe the IO wanted to sell you a work visa, IMO that's what part of home visits are about, talking to witnesses and neighbours.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jonnapat said:

The list of requirements states that you need to prove 40K monthly income.

I've always ignored this and have never been asked for it.

Our family reality is we spend (sometimes save a bit) the 65K I use as required retirement monthly income.

17 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

This is about Marriage not Retirement.

Yes, and while only 40K monthly is required, our family of 3 (even though I could qualify by marriage for the lower amount), it is not possible for us to live comfortably. on 40K.

2 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Yes, and while only 40K monthly is required, our family of 3 (even though I could qualify by marriage for the lower amount), it is not possible for us to live comfortably. on 40K.

The 40k baht is the minimum monthly income immigration will accept. You can show much more than that if if you have proof of the income.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Strangely, I currently transfer 50k per month plus I have 220k in the bank under the Retirement Combination method.

Next year I shall cut it down to 40k plus 350k in the bank because I do not need the 50k.

• Like 1