Bangkok bank new atm card

6 hours ago, Berkshire said:

From experience, you can get a replacement card at any BKK Bank branch.  Just bring your passbook, ID, and old card.

Unless of course it's been nicked, you lost it or the ATM swallowed it. Then just book & passport ID.

48 minutes ago, KannikaP said:
6 hours ago, Berkshire said:

From experience, you can get a replacement card at any BKK Bank branch.  Just bring your passbook, ID, and old card.

Unless of course it's been nicked, you lost it or the ATM swallowed it. Then just book & passport ID.

38 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:
48 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Unless of course it's been nicked, you lost it or the ATM swallowed it.

What is the difference then ?

You posted a confused emoji: It was Innocent question... .

What is the difference IF your ATM card has been stolen or the ATM swallowed it ?

Do you need more than your Bank Book and Passport ?

i.e. if Stolen you need a Police report ? (for sure ?)

iF the ATM swallowed it.. ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yes.. they usually charge about 200 baht for a replacement ATM which can be replaced / renewed at any Branch with Photo ID (Passport) and Bank Book. 

Ops card has expired, it's a free swap for a new one. Source - had mine just about to run out and got a new one about a month ago. If the card is lost, however, 400 baht for a MC, might be less for a Union Pay card. 

10 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

It is possible to get in any branch, but will be much easier in the one which opened your account. Don´t know why it is like that, but it just is. ???? Probably something to do with individual discretion and power over my small little world syndrome.

Why not call the BBL call centre and get some acts about the regulations/details involved?

Waiting time to get a connection is minimal, the staff in the call centre staff all speak very advanced English and they don't bite. 

That was my experience.  I had an a/c in Bangkok but moved to Isaan.  Earlier this year my card expired and I was told I would have to return to Bangkok for a new card.  As that was not possible I decided to close the a/c and open one in my home province.  One problem here is that you must have a long stay visa but bank staff cant read visa stamps so a letter is required from your friendly bloodsucking Imm Office for the tidy sum of 500 baht....not negotiable, no receipt, brown envelope away from the CCTV.

Now some people on here will say that is not true, that you can get a new card anywhere on the face of this earth.  Be warned!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

(Bangkok Bank)

Machine swallowed my card on a Friday night   my account was opened in Khon Kaen  years ago   but I'm now in Surin  so I went to the branch in Robinson  which is open on  saturday's  and after a bit of hassle due to me having a different passport than the one I had 30 years ago they gave me a replacement card there  and then. I needed to produce my passbook too ,  If  i remember correctly I think I informed the Khonkaen branch of my change of address , not sure if that had any bearing on their uncharacteristic helpfulness and efficiency.

I also make a point of never taking the missis along when dealing with the bank, I  noticed a long time ago that when she accompanied me I'd  become invisible to the bank staff. Not only frustrating but often counter productive as the bank staff  find it very easy to fob off one of their own that they feel "superior" to, and my missis was always very reluctant to contradict or question what the  "socially superior"  bank employee told her,

Fortunately I can speak enough Thai  to make myself understood, but I have learned that sometimes it actually pays to act daft, many of them can actually speak some  english despite initially  saying they can't  especially at manager level and even out in the sticks

I think many of them are actually terrified of speaking english, especially to native speakers, for fear of making mistakes and losing face , and I'm rather thinking that my attempts to converse with them in a level of Thai befitting a Ten year old  probably makes them think I'm retarded and puts them at their ease 

"I also make a point of never taking the missis along when dealing with the bank, I  noticed a long time ago that when she accompanied me I'd  become invisible to the bank staff. "

Point taken, worst i've heard of, years ago on a similar webboard, someone wrote that the bank staff member asked the farangs wife ''Male or female?"

Apparently the Thai wife burst into strong laughter, bank staff lost and confused, Thai wife asked her farang husband in English "are you a man or a woman?" 

Farang responded "poochai". Bank staff now even more confused and asked the Thai wife "does he speak English?"

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Guess it just depends on the branch of BKK Bank you go into. My wife has had a BKK Bank account for many years that she had opened in BKK. Her debit card had expired several years ago as we were living in the U.S. Her account has remained ‘active’ as she routinely made international transfers to the account. Now we are living out in Isaan and have been to 3 different Bangkok Banks in two different provinces trying to get her a new debit card, and all 3 have told her only the original bank in BKK where she opened her account can issue a new card. She still has her passbook, and they updated it for her, and she can also make over-the-counter withdraws, no problem. Although they do charge her 60 Baht to do the withdraw.

• Like 1

Basic answer yes.

But I was ( wrongly) told no, twice,  in 2 of their small mall branches. First one was in the Robinson mall on Sukhumvit. Was told you will have to go to the branch were the account was opened and is held. Next was in Kalasin Big C mall. Again told I would have to go to the branch holding the account.That Big C branch closed shortly afterwards and it may simply have been that the staff couldn't be bothered. They were probably about to be layed off. 

Finally to the large and usually almost empty main Kalasin branch in the central city. Of course Sir. Take a seat and we'll get you sorted. Alot of form filling and signing, the game with the handset to create your pin code, and a fee to pay, but I got my shiny new B 1st card. I wanted a Visa version which by the way costs alot more but is more acceptable in Europe.

• Thanks 1

Here's one that I bet no one has come up against yet. I open a account with Krungthai Bank some 26 years ago just a savings account and a ATM debit Card. Reason being it was just up street from my home and one block from work US Embassy, which before pain me in cash THB  but changed to direct deposit, reason for the account. Last week I tried to top-up my cell phone and the card did not work, had not use it for some time. Went to the bank and was told being it was a Joint account, NO debit ATM card could be issued, had to be in my name only?  Went home call the HG ATM department and ask about joint savings accounts, was told Joint account for a Pearl debit card cand and some other accounts debit cards cannot be issued due to personal insurance coverage. My debit card was not that kind of account just an plain savings account with Classic debit card. Bank web page said this about getting the classic card was ( shown below ), the women told me I could get a replacement, and go back to the issuing bank and get a replacement card, which may add I had my account debit Jan 2022 for annual fee of 200 THB. When back to the bank.  They called the same office got a different person and was told NO debit card for ANY joint accounts. I got the name of the person at the HQ and told her I would be calling back. Went home check the online requirements and then called her told her the date and time and the phone number I called from the day before, she said that she would listen to the tape recording of the call and get back to me. One hour later she called me back and said that she listen to conversation that I had the day before, what I was telling was truth about the call,  but the lady told me was wrong, NO debit cards for any Joint accounts. I ask about web page and she told me the English version was wrong and the Thai version said no joint accounts were issued debit card any more.  Closed 4 of my wifes accounts at the bank, left open one account because she receives direct monthly deposits. Next transferred the money to our Kasikornbank, joint accounts and debit card.

Qualification
  1. 15 years old and above
  2. Minimum required deposit at 500 Baht for saving account or 10,000 Baht for current account
  3. No minimum income requirement
Document of application
  1. Copy of valid National identification smart card or official identification card
  2. Book bank of saving account or account number of current account