Bangkok bank new atm card

My BBL UnionPay ATM Debit Card expires at the end of this month. I went to a branch other than my "home" branch to get a new card. My passbook was examined (for the branch code) and I was redirected to my home branch. Same-same for a new passbook. Original branch ONLY.

SCB is more customer-friendly in this regard, I was able to get a new SCB ATM Debit card from a branch other than my home branch. I was also able to get a new passbook at a different branch. SCB also accepted and mailed me a new Planet Card. New card services via BBL mobile banking app are "Not Available for foreign customers".

BBL has a few ATM Debot card options now: Union Pay, Mastercard and the new Digital Card (virtual or physical). They all have different fees.

You can compare them here...https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Cards/Be1st-Smart-Card

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, bamnutsak said:

My BBL UnionPay ATM Debit Card expires at the end of this month. I went to a branch other than my "home" branch to get a new card.

Was it same province?  Was it a joint account?  Were you trying to do both card and passbook as same time?  I have obtained card at other branch of BBL here in Bangkok without issues - but indeed passbook required home bank and joint account holder.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

Was it same province? 

Yes, of course. Bangkok. Branches were ~ 1 Km apart.

Was it a joint account?

No. Of course not.

I would have highlighted these if they were relevant to my experiences.

Other than these nuances, I am a satisfied BBL customer and recommend them to others.

• Like 2

On 9/3/2022 at 5:19 PM, scorecard said:

Why not call the BBL call centre and get some acts about the regulations/details involved?

Waiting time to get a connection is minimal, the staff in the call centre staff all speak very advanced English and they don't bite. 

Sorry, but this is not my topic. I never asked for any advice.

6 hours ago, srowndedbyh2o said:

What your branch manager confirms is only relevant to that branch. If the manager at another branch says “No”, it doesn’t matter what the manager at another branch ‘confirms’.

Bottom line.

All that really matters is what they are telling you at the branch you are standing in. Best to go in and ask.

Your statement is incorrect. I have seen a BBL document regarding what I stated. It may be that some branch managers are not aware and that maybe because they are dealing with problematic farangs on a day to day basis. 

If in doubt call the Call Centre. If you want inconvenience and hassle go your own way.

• Thanks 1

Again. What your branch manager says, and what document you have seen at another branch is irrelevant. All that matters is what they will or will not do at the branch you are standing in.

5 hours ago, rimmae2 said:

maybe because they are dealing with problematic farangs on a day to day basis. 

Don’t know what problematic Farangs have to do with it. My wife is Thai. It’s her personal account. She’s the one that requested a new card and was denied.

5 hours ago, rimmae2 said:

Your statement is incorrect. I have seen a BBL document regarding what I stated.

It’s kind of like a Farang going into immigration in Chiang Mai and insisting they do something the way you want because that’s how immigration does it in Phuket. What immigration does in Phuket is irrelevant when you are standing in the immigration office in Chiang Mai.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2022 at 3:15 PM, Bday Prang said:

(Bangkok Bank)

Machine swallowed my card on a Friday night   my account was opened in Khon Kaen  years ago   but I'm now in Surin  so I went to the branch in Robinson  which is open on  saturday's  and after a bit of hassle due to me having a different passport than the one I had 30 years ago they gave me a replacement card there  and then. I needed to produce my passbook too ,  If  i remember correctly I think I informed the Khonkaen branch of my change of address , not sure if that had any bearing on their uncharacteristic helpfulness and efficiency.

I also make a point of never taking the missis along when dealing with the bank, I  noticed a long time ago that when she accompanied me I'd  become invisible to the bank staff. Not only frustrating but often counter productive as the bank staff  find it very easy to fob off one of their own that they feel "superior" to, and my missis was always very reluctant to contradict or question what the  "socially superior"  bank employee told her,

Fortunately I can speak enough Thai  to make myself understood, but I have learned that sometimes it actually pays to act daft, many of them can actually speak some  english despite initially  saying they can't  especially at manager level and even out in the sticks

I think many of them are actually terrified of speaking english, especially to native speakers, for fear of making mistakes and losing face , and I'm rather thinking that my attempts to converse with them in a level of Thai befitting a Ten year old  probably makes them think I'm retarded and puts them at their ease 

It's not only banks. Take along your missus or girlfriend and usually you are totally ignored. When paying cash for purchases with my wife present I hand over the cash and the change is more often than not offered to my wife.

Being ignored probably stems from the perceived language barrier and fear of losing face as you say ( as if give a fig, I just would like to be included and no longer give a toss about my appalling Thai either) and is understandable, the change thing is just rude imho.

So I often prefer not to take the wife unless I must. That can be quite entertaining but nowadays the translation app on phones is a great help.

Recently had dealings with the local IO along with my wife. The friendly officer spoke good English but spent some time explainng things in Thai to her, presumably thinking she would explain to me. Her lack of understanding or indeed interest prompted him to start talking to me in English. Ah you understand all this better than she does he said, after I'd made a few intelligent comments At the end of the session he turned to my wife and said in English " you need to be taking better care of your husband than you have today".That made my day!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:

It's not only banks. Take along your missus or girlfriend and usually you are totally ignored. When paying cash for purchases with my wife present I hand over the cash and the change is more often than not offered to my wife.

Being ignored probably stems from the perceived language barrier and fear of losing face as you say ( as if give a fig, I just would like to be included and no longer give a toss about my appalling Thai either) and is understandable, the change thing is just rude imho.

So I often prefer not to take the wife unless I must. That can be quite entertaining but nowadays the translation app on phones is a great help.

Recently had dealings with the local IO along with my wife. The friendly officer spoke good English but spent some time explainng things in Thai to her, presumably thinking she would explain to me. Her lack of understanding or indeed interest prompted him to start talking to me in English. Ah you understand all this better than she does he said, after I'd made a few intelligent comments At the end of the session he turned to my wife and said in English " you need to be taking better care of your husband than you have today".That made my day!

It boils my pi$$ when I hand over the cash and they try to give the change to the missis  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Today I was able to get a no-hassle replacement Bangkok Bank ATM card for my bank in Bangkok by going to my other Bangkok Bank in Chiang Rai.  My card had quit working in ATMs for some reason.  I had no problems getting the replacement, but maybe it was because I also have an account in that Chiang Rai branch as well as the one in Bangkok..

• 4 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I lost my Bangkok Bank debit card and they charged me 500Bt to replace it. Crooks.

That must not have been the basic debit card - which only costs 100 baht for replacement.

Fees

Entrance Fee: 100 baht/card
Annual Fee: 200 baht until December 31, 2022 (usually 300 baht)
Card Replacement Fee: 100 baht/card/time 
Monthly Statement Fee: 200 baht/year (You can request this service at your home branch.)

I made a new card for an SCB account recently. It was in a different province from where I opened the account. No problem, just show passport and bank book. Fee was 100 baht. I didn't have cash on me and asked if I could use the app to pay.  I was pointed to the ATM outside. Go figure. 

• Love It 2

32 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I lost my Bangkok Bank debit card Be 1st. Mastercard and was charged 500Bt for a replacement.

As said replacement fee is 100 baht - are you sure this was normal MC card and did not include next years fee by chance?  Charges are openly listed on internet here:

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Cards/Be1st-Smart-Card/Be1st-Smart-TPN-Mastercard

Edited by lopburi3

As said replacement fee is 100 baht - are you sure this was normal MC card and did not include next years fee by chance?  

No. The card was only about 2 months old. Maybe with the bank being upcountry where I live, I was given the Farang price.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

No. The card was only about 2 months old. Maybe with the bank being upcountry where I live, I was given the Farang price.

And the name of the card type did not change?  Suspect it may have been replaced with a version that included insurance and extra payment may have been for that.

41 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

And the name of the card type did not change?  Suspect it may have been replaced with a version that included insurance and extra payment may have been for that.

No they showed me 3 cards and asked me to pick, I picked the same one again, and you do not get insurance, I think you are referring to accident insurance, if you are over sixty with Bangkok Bank. Farang price again maybe?

26 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

No they showed me 3 cards and asked me to pick, I picked the same one again, and you do not get insurance, I think you are referring to accident insurance, if you are over sixty with Bangkok Bank. Farang price again maybe?

That sounds like they charged you to change plans/one year fee and replacement card fee.  Perhaps thinking you selected a different card than the one lost?  Just a guess but if the provided a receipt am sure not just a foreigner charge.

• Entrance fee: 100 baht/card
  • Annual fee: 300 baht
  • Card replacement fee: 100 baht/card/time

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

That sounds like they charged you to change plans/one year fee and replacement card fee.  Perhaps thinking you selected a different card than the one lost?  Just a guess but if the provided a receipt am sure not just a foreigner charge.

• Entrance fee: 100 baht/card
  • Annual fee: 300 baht
  • Card replacement fee: 100 baht/card/time

There was virtually no conversation between us at all with them not speaking English and a big screen between us. They maybe did give me a receipt but I would just have thrown it away. Thanks for all your help, but this is Thailand and we are regularly cheated with authorities at every turn, but this is maybe an upcountry thing as I never have problems dealing with banks or anything similar in Bangkok. 

Maybe it is coincidence but I seem to be cheated regularly since the pandemic, the way I was never treated before.

I think  maybe people are so badly off financially because of the pandemic and the European war.

• 3 months later...

Hi, 

I have an old BBL saving book and Be1st Visa card (which is expired on 2019). Not sure the remaining balance or account status being active since I am no longer living in Thailand. I opened this account with my work permit when I was in Thailand. I will be visiting Thailand again end of March on Tourist Visa. Any chance that I could get a new ATM card and continue to use saving account? 

14 minutes ago, Winnie7 said:

Hi, 

I have an old BBL saving book and Be1st Visa card (which is expired on 2019). Not sure the remaining balance or account status being active since I am no longer living in Thailand. I opened this account with my work permit when I was in Thailand. I will be visiting Thailand again end of March on Tourist Visa. Any chance that I could get a new ATM card and continue to use saving account? 

If still has balance should be OK.  But there is a charge if account balance is below 2K which could have depleted funds.

If your savings account has been inactive for more than one year with a balance of less than Baht 2,000, a maintenance fee of Baht 50 will be deducted from your account each month.

Been living here for over 5 years. When I first came here and applied for an account for my Social Security retirement, they told me I was unable to get an ATM card with my account because I was married then and they didn't give it to joint account holders. I understood why. After divorce, I got a new account in my name only, and tried to get an ATM card then. The one I was issued didn't work right after I got it at the branch, so they refunded me. I tried recently again and the teller said I can't get an ATM card for this account with my Social Security. Has anyone else has this trouble with Bangkok Bank? I know a few friends have cards with other banks but when I applied for SS I was told that Bangkok Bank was the only one that handled this. Misinformation, lies and ignorance of course runs rampant here. Five different people give you 5 different stories.

Suspect you are set to receive funds in Bangkok Bank New York for transfer to your account here via US ACH direct deposit.  It is indeed a requirement for such accounts not to have card or internet access - you must present yourself in person to withdraw funds due to bank being responsible for repayment to US Government of any funds paid after your death.  What you need is a new account that you can deposit funds for daily use in your name with debit card.

There is no such requirement that an ATM card can not be issued to joint account holders for normal savings accounts.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2023 at 7:33 AM, Winnie7 said:

Hi, 

I can't see that being a problem assuming the account is still in credit after whatever monthly charges may have been taken, but I think if the balance drops to zero they close the account.  If you have changed your passport during your absence, try to take your old passport with you when you ask for a new card, or things could potentially become challenging.     Personally I would not consider transferring any money over to that account prior to your departure, for use on your trip, just in case the account had been closed or "lost" or "was being used by another"  or any one or more of a myriad of other possible excuses. It is Thailand afterall 

On 9/3/2022 at 6:26 AM, Gottfrid said:

It is possible to get in any branch, but will be much easier in the one which opened your account. Don´t know why it is like that, but it just is. ???? Probably something to do with individual discretion and power over my small little world syndrome.

If your passport is up to date with the bank then you can go to any branch. If you have obtained a new passport for whatever reason then you must go to the branch you opened the account.   I just went through this  tears ago.  In the past they didn’t really care and they still had passport on file from 2 years ago when I opened the account.  Sometimes they may have unreasonable demlime seeing that old passport from 20 years ago….if your passport matches what they have on file go to any branch.  

• Thanks 1