Google/GMail PW security alerts

grain

Recently I've been getting security alerts from Google/GMail informing me some of my PWs have been found published online and for me to change all my PWs. Has anyone else been receiving these alerts? Are these alerts to be taken seriously or is it some internet BS? I really have a lot of different PWs stored with my GMail account, so changing all of them is a big task, I also don't want to go fiddling around with my stored PWs if this is some sort of scam.

25 minutes ago, userabcd said:

Thanks for that, I have several email accounts, I checked the 2 main ones I use and one came up pwned. I think because I used it for Bolt and Bolt had a breach a while ago.

Anyway, I have now changed the PWs for all my email accounts and my online banking. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grain said:

Has anyone else been receiving these alerts? Are these alerts to be taken seriously or is it some internet BS?

No BS but serious.

I got these for PWs used on less than important sites where you are forced to register for simply reading/downloading some stuff. For those sites I use the same or similar password, quite simple 8 characters. If it leaks who cares.

Registering with dedicated mail addresses that I could dump if necessary.
BOLT registration would fall in this category.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

No BS but serious.

I got these for PWs used on less than important sites where you are forced to register for simply reading/downloading some stuff. For those sites I use the same or similar password, quite simple 8 characters. If it leaks who cares.

Registering with dedicated mail addresses that I could dump if necessary.
BOLT registration would fall in this category.

Yes, I'm exactly the same. Many sites I had to register just to look at something and mostly I used 123456789 PW, I have dozens of them and couldn't give a hoot if anyone cracks them and gets in. I've still got all those silly PWs stored away in my GMail account, though I'd tried to delete some. As I mentioned above I've now changed all my important PWs with much stronger PWs. 

3 hours ago, grain said:

Thanks for that, I have several email accounts, I checked the 2 main ones I use and one came up pwned. I think because I used it for Bolt and Bolt had a breach a while ago.

Anyway, I have now changed the PWs for all my email accounts and my online banking. 

Highly recommend BitWarden (free) as an extra level of security for your passwords. Also Google 2FA is the way to go for GMail and any online banking you may do, most banks encourage its use.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CharlieH said:

They arrive periodically.

Its always a good security measure to change your passwords from time to time and not keep the same or use the same on multiple sites for years on end.

I agree but I would NOT click on ANY link(s) contained inside any of these "security alerts"!

Always go directly to the site and log and then use the change password procedure!

• Like 1

As already stated, and I receive them also, such as last night.  

Starting to think it's G's way of reminding us to pay attention.

I checked the list of sites provided they think need my attention, and most I don't visit anymore or if accessed wouldn't be a financial issue. 

Only my banking, one very secure site, has my actual info.  All others use nothing tracing back to  me or banking.

Rare to use CC/debit or apps to pay for anything.  Cash or COD.

Wife uses one account and keeps minimal amount in it.

• Like 1