IKEA vs. Index Living

NickyLouie

3 hours ago, KannikaP said:

No, mine is a 'conventional' Thai bed frame. But I guess I could fit a central strip (bit of wood!)

I have 2, both bought from Index. ( BTW, I think Index is just a knock off low quality IKEA. They pinched the concept but that's all). These big 4 poster double beds have a central metal bar to make up the frame for the slats and mattress, with a vertical steel leg to support it, and the slats slot in either side. And break. In the end I bought some 5mm ply and laid it on top of the slats and mattress frame. It's 'held up' for 7 years like that. With a decent mattress, it's fine.

Edited by bradiston

I prefer Index as their quality is higher.

Ikea uses a lot of cheap materials that do not last. They are nicely painted and look nice but the material is cheap.

Others might not agree, but that's my experience.

Edited by EricTh

5 hours ago, bradiston said:

What about returns? IKEA has a very simple process if I remember. But Index? Non western company response is usually "you bring back, why you buy?"

I don't think you can return goods in Index.

Even the Mr DIY which sells cheap goods will only allow exchange within x days.

Index seems to have low quality and overpriced furniture.  Anything furniture I've bought there 20,00-45,000 baht couches and chairs come apart and the upholstery rips easy.

IKEA seems a tad cheaper and more modern.  Again, quality is always suspect.  Good return policy. Good meatballs.

If you are looking for high end furniture you'll need to go to Bangkok and have it shipped to your home. 

Quattro Design Flagship Store

ASquare Soi Sukhumvit 26, Khlong Tan, Khlong Toei, Bangkok 10110

02 116 6945 https://g.co/kgs/eEWHmJ

CHANINTR OUTLET

32 Sukhumvit 61, Khwaeng Khlong Tan Nuea, Watthana, Bangkok 10110
092 247 2107 https://g.co/kgs/ufmmF7

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

Mind telling me your experience in Power Buy?

I bought a fridge freezer from them in Chantaburi. I live on a small island where returning large goods is hardly ever worth it. Everything has to be packed exactly as received, and shipped to the mainland on a 3 times a week boat. Then picked up from there and taken to their depot. The fridge they delivered was dented in several places. It was basically the display model. They knew where I lived as they delivered it, at least to the pier. So they also knew the chances of me returning it were minimal. So, they offloaded the damaged display model onto me. It's happened many times, with other shops.

I returned a food processor. It cut out continuously. They looked at it and said oh, you've used it. Well yes, I said, I wouldn't be bringing it back otherwise. 20 minutes to and fro.  In the end, very begrudgingly they issued a refund as they had nothing else which I wanted as a replacement.

Homework. Half an hour of to and fro over a faulty, as I saw it, induction cooker. Had to argue and argue. Eventually, refunded. But you know. What's their point? They just send it back to the manufacturer. And they lose me as a customer.

There's a lot of illogicality to the way businesses operate here. Like, if they aren't getting a lot of customers, they'll put their prices up. Massage parlours do this all the time. And they won't ever lower them. Maybe they have their reasons. All it tells me is go elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, bradiston said:

I bought a fridge freezer from them in Chantaburi. I live on a small island where returning large goods is hardly ever worth it. Everything has to be packed exactly as received, and shipped to the mainland on a 3 times a week boat. Then picked up from there and taken to their depot. The fridge they delivered was dented in several places. It was basically the display model. They knew where I lived as they delivered it, at least to the pier. So they also knew the chances of me returning it were minimal. So, they offloaded the damaged display model onto me. It's happened many times, with other shops.

I returned a food processor. It cut out continuously. They looked at it and said oh, you've used it. Well yes, I said, I wouldn't be bringing it back otherwise. 20 minutes to and fro.  In the end, very begrudgingly they issued a refund as they had nothing else which I wanted as a replacement.

Homework. Half an hour of to and fro over a faulty, as I saw it, induction cooker. Had to argue and argue. Eventually, refunded. But you know. What's their point? They just send it back to the manufacturer. And they lose me as a customer.

There's a lot of illogicality to the way businesses operate here. Like, if they aren't getting a lot of customers, they'll put their prices up. Massage parlours do this all the time. And they won't ever lower them. Maybe they have their reasons. All it tells me is go elsewhere.

I heard that Siam TV is much more professional than Homepro. You might want to buy from Siam TV in the future.

3 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I heard that Siam TV is much more professional than Homepro. You might want to buy from Siam TV in the future.

I rent a condo now in Pattaya. Life is a whole lot easier. I buy most stuff online. Despite some reports, things have improved in my experience no end with returning goods online. I've never heard of Siam TV.

7 hours ago, EricTh said:

I prefer Index as their quality is higher.

Ikea uses a lot of cheap materials that do not last. They are nicely painted and look nice but the material is cheap.

Others might not agree, but that's my experience.

what items didn't last? you realise many have a 10-20 year warranty? beds, wardrobes etc

On 9/3/2022 at 1:37 PM, tomazbodner said:

IKEA has their own sizes on some of the items, like beds, so if you buy a bed frame from them, often you need to buy the mattress and bedsheets from them as well. Otherwise their quality is good. Bought their kitchen and all except their counter tops was good.

What?????

5 hours ago, sead said:

What?????

In Thailand you generally have sizes of Single, Queen and King size. Those are a few cm different in IKEA, and generally don't fit well when mixed together. Simply IKEA is using EU sizes, and Thailand uses UK sizes.

For example, IKEA single bed frames measure 200cm x 90 cm while UK singles measure 190×90 cm.

Edited by tomazbodner

On 9/6/2022 at 2:34 PM, Guderian said:

Many years ago, I furnished my seafront pad in Scheveningen with Ikea. Twenty years later, I furnished my villa in Pattaya with Index. My unbiased opinion is that Ikea has a great selection of decent quality furniture, but Index has better quality items, which is also reflected in the price. 

Yes ...... just fitted out a condo with Index furniture, and I feel it's stronger than the stuff I bought from Ikea in my home country.

I understand Ikea has a testing process for new products - but I suspect their aim is to make products just good enough at minimum cost.

1 hour ago, tomazbodner said:

In Thailand you generally have sizes of Single, Queen and King size. Those are a few cm different in IKEA, and generally don't fit well when mixed together. Simply IKEA is using EU sizes, and Thailand uses UK sizes.

For example, IKEA single bed frames measure 200cm x 90 cm while UK singles measure 190×90 cm.

Those UK guys are obviously shorter than the Europeans. ???? 

15 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Ok ty. I'll have to check that next I'm off to Thailand. 

would go with Index. bought few things from them and really happy. everything right on time too. So far quality is good

IKEA is really stressful. I bought 1 bed from them and to do transportation just because of the paper work and other things it took really 1-2 hours just to order transportation from them. Quality is also not like WOW.. normal.

2 hours ago, problemfarang said:

would go with Index. bought few things from them and really happy. everything right on time too. So far quality is good

IKEA is really stressful. I bought 1 bed from them and to do transportation just because of the paper work and other things it took really 1-2 hours just to order transportation from them. Quality is also not like WOW.. normal.

Easy with IKEA, buy online, delivery easy, not sure why your experience was difficult 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Easy with IKEA, buy online, delivery easy, not sure why your experience was difficult 

didnt buy online. Went to the one in central westgate. after i bought the bed, you need to take the papers to the transportation section which is.. probably 1-2km walking distance in the same building. And not easy to find the place. And funny enough even they said the transportation is in the payment, the transportation section charge you again.. they said they are not with IKEA but private company. i dont buy these kind of things online. Need to see

Edited by problemfarang

23 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

didnt buy online. Went to the one in central westgate. after i bought the bed, you need to take the papers to the transportation section which is.. probably 1-2km walking distance in the same building. And not easy to find the place. And funny enough even they said the transportation is in the payment, the transportation section charge you again.. they said they are not with IKEA but private company. i dont buy these kind of things online. Need to see

IKEA Bangna can be a war zone also. Can go there, see the things then order online, avoid all that stress, that's what i did. I only went because they said i had to to talk to them about fitting a kitchen, waste of time as 1+ month wait for fit

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

IKEA Bangna can be a war zone also. Can go there, see the things then order online, avoid all that stress, that's what i did. I only went because they said i had to to talk to them about fitting a kitchen, waste of time as 1+ month wait for fit

i did my kitchen from homepro. Really nice one. They really did good job. I chose my kitchen set, they came exactly the time they promised and did the plan and measurements. Then showed me printed version how it will look like. Then again right on time they installed it. No water leaking, nothing. Very clean job too.

i bought AC from power something i forgot the name now. Terrible installation, really dirty... total mess.. 

• Like 1

SB Design rather than Index... and shopping online at Ikea rather than the horror of the real life Ikea maze.

The online Ikea has great delivery with timed choices - and yes, you can pay extra for them to screw it all together for you for any larger size items which I strongly recommend. (SB design when I used them many years ago also put it all together no extra charge).