Visa based on Marriage

Hi

At present I am living in Brisbane Australia. I am married to a Thai lady since April 2018. She and her daughter live in Chaiyaphum. We have a house in Chaiyaphum (in wifes name) with a mortgage which I pay.

I plan to move to Thailand in November (ticket purchased)

My questions are related to Visa requirments:

1.  Is the correct visa for me a type "O" which I apply for from Thai Embassy in Canberra
  2. My intention is to convert to a 12 month Visa based on marriage in Thailand, so is a 90 day visa sufficient? I have a bank account in Thailand but not in Chaiyaphum. I will need to open same when I get to Chaiyaphum and then transfer funds to cover the B400k rule (which I believe needs to be seeded for 2 months)..is this correct?
  3. When I apply for Visa in Australia do I need Insurance with a type "O" visa? My plan is to get Health Insurance in Thailand once Im settled
  4. When applying for Visa in Australia, I have my marriage Certificate (we were married in Bangkok at Government office) together with a certfied translation made back in 2018. Will it be necessary to get a new translation or will existing documentation be sufficent?
  5. Invitation Letter from my wife, I assume this will need to be in Thai but do I need this translated to English?
  6. I have purchased a one way ticket to Thailand (basically because I have no idea when I will be returning to Australia. If I have a Visa will I have problems with only a one way ticket? I can always purchase a cheap Air Asia ticket to show I am leaving at some future date if necessary.

If you feel there are other things I need to know, feel free to let me know anything I have missed.

Thank you for your assistance

cheers

wondra

1. Yes

2. You will apply for a one year extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon marriage to a Thai near the end of the 90 day stay in Thailand the non-o will allow. 

You will need to have 400k baht in a Thai bank in name only for 2 months on the day you apply for the extension of stay.

3. No

4. No need for a translation of your marriage certificate to apply for the non-o visa.

5. The  letter can be in Thai and there will be need for it translated to english.

6. You will not need a return or onward ticket since you will have a valid visa to enter the country.

• Like 2

Thanks for that Joe, much appreciated.

Just a thought.. in relation to (5) Letter on Invitation...would it be better to just have her sign a letter in English?

cheers

wondra

Edited by wondra
additional info

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

1. Yes

2. You will apply for a one year extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon marriage to a Thai near the end of the 90 day stay in Thailand the non-o will allow. 

You will need to have 400k baht in a Thai bank in name only for 2 months on the day you apply for the extension of stay.

3. No

4. No need for a translation of your marriage certificate to apply for the non-o visa.

5. The  letter can be in Thai and there will be need for it translated to english.

6. You will not need a return or onward ticket since you will have a valid visa to enter the country.

BTW ..you can hold the 400k in a foreign currency account ..I've got £10k in BKK bank and they covert and state on the letter to immigration the Thai bt value .. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rmac442 said:

BTW ..you can hold the 400k in a foreign currency account ..I've got £10k in BKK bank and they covert and state on the letter to immigration the Thai bt value .. 

I am aware of that. But I don't bother to mention it since not many people would have a foreign currency account.

21 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

On the same subject. Would it be possible to come in on a tourist visa and change directly to a one year extension if you already have to 400k in the bank or would you need to do the 90 day extension first?

You would have to apply for a non-o visa at immigration to get a 90 day stay and then apply for the one year extension.

The 400k baht only needs to be in the bank on the day you apply for the non-o visa.

See: https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/6.FOR-PROVIDING-SUPPORT-TO-OR-BEING-A-DEPENDANT-OF-A-THAI-CITIZEN-SPOUSE-VISA-NON-O.pdf

• Like 1