New entry stamp in new passport arriving by land now TM6 is no longer req'd (?).

Ongoing plans to switch my retirement visa in UK passport to retirement by marriage in new Canadian passport.  I went to the Buriram immigration and asked about this and the person I spoke to said just get an entry stamp in my Canadian passport and he would start to process to get me a non 'O'.  Then I would apply for a new retirement visa in ? days (I forget what it was).  He said I could come in by land at Chong Chom, just south of Surin.  Is this true?  Now that there are, I think, no more TM6 entry-exit forms issued to air travelers does that make entry by land OK?  Before it was only by air.

So, what I was thinking is to get a single exit-entry stamp in my UK passport that has my current ret. visa in it.  Then leave the country with it then turn around and re-enter on my Canadian passport getting a stamp in it and then go directly to immigration, the same day, to start the application for the 'O'.  My thinking is that if there is a problem I would still have my valid retirement visa in my UK passport.

Any comments please?

Normally you cannot do a border hop to change passports. Immigration on both sides of the border will want to see departure and entry stamps in the same passport.

You will have to fly out and back ot do it.

Borders crossings are still doing the TM6 but you will not get one when you enter by air. A immigration will not ask for one now.

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The rule only states entries by air.

Hello Joe, I will be coming to BKK on October 12 and was wondering just what are the requirements for a 45 day holiday now, I was under the impression that I just needed exit flight proof, Hotel booking 1 night, my passport and proof of vaccines.

But is the talked about 45 day VOE real or not? 
many thanks for an update

On 9/4/2022 at 11:59 AM, notrub said:

So, what I was thinking is to get a single exit-entry stamp in my UK passport that has my current ret. visa in it.  Then leave the country with it then turn around and re-enter on my Canadian passport getting a stamp in it and then go directly to immigration, the same day, to start the application for the 'O'.  My thinking is that if there is a problem I would still have my valid retirement visa in my UK passport.

Your retirement extension would not be valid if you leave. It gets canceled unless you get a re-entry permit and would not be valid again until you get a re-entry stamp.

8 hours ago, Jimjim1 said:

Hello Joe, I will be coming to BKK on October 12 and was wondering just what are the requirements for a 45 day holiday now, I was under the impression that I just needed exit flight proof, Hotel booking 1 night, my passport and proof of vaccines.

But is the talked about 45 day VOE real or not? 
many thanks for an update

This is reported to start on Oct. 1st BUT, it isn't real until it gets published in the royal gazette.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:

This is reported to start on Oct. 1st BUT, it isn't real until it gets published in the royal gazette.

Hi yes that was my understanding but I was looking for further clarity on exactly what are the requirements for entry.

Thanks for your input

On 9/5/2022 at 2:38 PM, DrJoy said:

I thought TM 6 was cancelled for land crossings too

No at Nong Khai in July I got one (after asking why the shelves are empty).

And a lot of people around filled the form.

On the back of the slip that is returned there is a duplicate of the entry stamp.

No idea if I could have entered without.

departure_hinten.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ

9 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:

same as before - just 15 days added is my understanding

I understand about the possible 15 days extra But, same as before when?

Last time I visited which was last June I needed a Thailand pass and record of my vaccines but what now?

By same as before do you mean 2019 pre Covid when one could simply fly in and get a VOE with the only hoop being a one night minimum hotel reservation, Or are there other hoops I need to know about before my arrival on October 12.

Sorry if I am being a pain, I simply want to be sure I have all the info I need

Thanks again for your input.