A legal dilemma

rgraut

If this is the wrong sub-forum, please kindly move to the correct one. Thank you.

I have no idea where or how to start. 

I'll just put the the facts here as they are.

I'm from an EU country. I'm sure I'm wanted (for using counterfeit money in late 2001 in several EU countries)

Amount was about 85k Euros worth of another country's currency (I won't mention which). I didn't actually forge the banknotes. I bought them at 40% of their face value and converted those notes to genuine ones. I became more brazen and during my last attempt to convert more notes, the exchange office's staff delayed/stalled me and called authorities. I was arrested but received bail, then disappeared. 
I'm in one of these countries: TH, KH, Laos, Vietnam but will leave it at that.

In 2008 I obtained a birth certificate, passport and identity card from a country within the South Asia, South East Asia range of countries at immense cost to me. I will leave it at that. The documents are genuine and I have travelled with them to some countries and even traveled "home" to the issuing country a few times with the passport scanned during entry and exit by their immigration officers. Renewed too without any issues.

I am in a comfortable position financially, have bank accounts under this acquired identity and even a credit card from a Thai bank. However, I feel like I am living on borrowed time. Sophisticated identity management systems are currently being introduced in the country that issued these documents including a new system that cross-checks the passport's biometrics system against the Interpol database. Ironically this new system is being funded by the EU. It's just a matter of time before this might/could be discovered and I will have to face the music.

I am now contemplating surrendering to authorities back in my home country (the real home country, that is). This is why I am posting here. The offense seems to have met the statute of limitations but I am unsure as I would hate to "wake sleeping dogs" by contacting the authorities directly. I am also worried about "coming clean" only to discover that I opened a bigger can of worms by doing just that. This is because of other problems I anticipate, namely:

1. Whether or not I am still on an Interpol watchlist despite 2 decades having passed
2. If I manage to obtain an ETD or emergency travel document which is given to EU citizens for a single journey back to their EU country of origin, how will I exit if the country I am in currently has the assumed identity on their systems

If there is a solution, I would like to get my local affairs in order, close my bank accounts, settle the remaining condo contract etc. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rgraut said:

I am now contemplating surrendering to authorities back in my home country (the real home country, that is). This is why I am posting here. The offense seems to have met the statute of limitations but I am unsure as I would hate to "wake sleeping dogs" by contacting the authorities directly. I am also worried about "coming clean" only to discover that I opened a bigger can of worms by doing just that. This is because of other problems I anticipate,

My brief used say,

Never admit anything, I wasn't there, it wasn't me.

After 5 years outside the UK, I returned and the police no longer showed any interest in me.

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My brief used say,

Never admit anything, I wasn't there, it wasn't me.

After 5 years outside the UK, I returned and the police no longer showed any interest in me.

Did you drop a lolly paper? I went to a state I hadn't been to for ten years and they got me for an unpaid parking offense. At first I thought they had the wrong perp. Put me into a cell until my mates rocked up with the readies. I was only about 20.