"Drunk" Brit pensioner, 70, reverses into Thais killing one injuring one - then damages 4 vehicles before overturning

webfact

3 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

You are a non-immigrant whose permission to stay here finishes in less than a year. ????

THat's quite enough for me, You do not have the ability to discuss this - you are just basically using racial prejudice to back up an untenable position.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

THat's quite enough for me, You do not have the ability to discuss this - you are just basically using racial prejudice to back up an untenable position.

Okay Mr. Non-Immigrant whose permission to stay here runs out within the next year. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:
5 hours ago, Thunglom said:

I'll look at the Rea;ity

You are a non-immigrant whose permission to stay here finishes in less than a year. ????

Correct... If he’s living in Thailand he's actually an immigrant quite possibly on a on a non-immigrant visa with a limited permission of stay. Or, he could have permanent residence, but he’d still be an immigrant. 

Any non-citizen living in another country on a permanent basis (i.e. the place they call home) is an immigrant - its very simple, there are also subclassifications of immigrant, there are also other names for immigrants such as ‘aliens’... 

Thunglom earlier argued the meaning of ‘permanent’ implying that no one is permanently living somewhere because they’ll die, this just highlights the banality of his debate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What was your thought process that enabled you to come up with that gem...anything logical or rational?

I agree with quote, Thais don't really like foreigners but tolerate them. When one kills Thais, they lose tolerance, understandably. 

I worked with a guy who killed a motorcyclist when drunk; he paid his way out but was fired immediately. 

Another Ozzie I worked with killed his Thai gf with an axe and threw her off a high balcony, allegedly. A few days after being arrested, you couldn't recognizer him. Imagine if an African(for example) came to the UK and killed a young girl, there would be a similar reaction. No one like outsiders killing their own. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Sounds like some fine upstanding locals (farang orThai) should have reported this "habitual drunk driver long ago. I would have had he been in my neighburhood

What do the police do about the reports ???.....     

The reality is here that the police do nothing... Someone can be reported for their antisocial behaviour and the police do nothing about it. 

They will received complains of people throwing parties, driving drunk, domestic abuse etc... they will do nothing because they do not want to get involved, they will argue that ‘no crime’ has been committed...   Only when something happens will the police get involved. 

There is no such thing as the police being proactive here, sadly, for the most part they will only react when forced to do so (usually by money, a social media push or when pushed or influenced by someone of sufficient power). 

Thus: the only way this foreigner was going to be dealt with before hurting someone is IF someone locally had sufficient swing to get the police to do something about him and even then there is little they could do until he does something wrong... They’ll likely stop him and check his visa status, if on overstay get him out... if within visa status charge him if he was DUI and then do nothing else. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Wonder if he will have to worry about health insurance for the 20 years in jail, while some of us worry about health insurance to live here

Why do you think he will go to jail, it was an accident, wasn't it? 

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, worgeordie said:

No sympathy for him at all, hope he has to spend a long time

in the deepest dark hole they have, drink driving has no place

anywhere, now he's going to pay the price .

regards worgeordie

Alcoholism is a disease, it could happen to anyone, even youI have sympathy for sick people. 

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

Alcoholism is a disease, it could happen to anyone, even youI have sympathy for sick people. 

That wouldn't be an acceptable excuse in Court and also if wasn't even suggested he was an alcoholic , just he was just drunk .

Even being an alcoholic doesn't mean you can drive and kill people and not face any consequences 

7 hours ago, Thunglom said:

I'd guess he was one of those who perpetually accuses Thai people of being bad drivers....... just typical expat behaviour.

Have they retained his name? - he'll need a lot of cash to buy his way round the law and out of the papers.

I wonder what his username is. 

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

That wouldn't be an acceptable excuse in Court and also if wasn't even suggested he was an alcoholic , just he was just drunk .

Even being an alcoholic doesn't mean you can drive and kill people and not face any consequences 

In not saying he can use it as an excuse. 

I'm saying I have sympathy for him. Maybe because I'm a recovered alcoholic. 

6 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

In not saying he can use it as an excuse. 

I'm saying I have sympathy for him. Maybe because I'm a recovered alcoholic. 

And you also regularly drive on the wrong side of they road and speeding tickets are just thrown in the bin and you could be involved in an accident yourself any time soon ?

23 minutes ago, Neeranam said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Any non-citizen living in another country on a permanent basis (

Not true. 

Immigrants can get citizenship and they are still immigrants. 

Not quite (the not true part). 

I agree with ‘immigrants can get citizenship and they are still immigrants’...  but thats not what I wrote or what you disagreed with... 

[Any non-citizen’ living in another country on a permanent basis is an immigrant]

27 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

And you also regularly drive on the wrong side of they road and speeding tickets are just thrown in the bin and you could be involved in an accident yourself any time soon ?

I pay my speeding tickets but don't get many. 

Anyone could be in an accident. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Anyone could be in an accident. 

Its a reminder to us all.... Life can change in a second for the sake of a second of inattention... 

But.. this seems more than an accident and more than a second of inattention....   after reversing into the two men and a lamppost he sped off colliding with two more cars and two motorcycles.... 

I’m not suggesting he deliberately killed anyone, but something make him accelerate hard in reverse, then try to escape...  Perhaps an initial mistake in hitting the wrong pedal in the wrong gear because he was drunk, then attempted to escape, again because he was drink.

..... Pure speculation of course...  but, the speculation is not a stretch given the report. 

He could have had a medical condition and panicked of course...  but...  given the report... 

So... in this case... ‘anyone could be in an accident’.... I agree, it can happen and we all suffer a lapse in concentration while driving here or there, it happens we’re human.....  but, for most of us our lapse in concentration while driving is not a result of drinking (again, booze is not yet proven in the case of this incident). 

Edited by richard_smith237

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Would you be so forgiving if it was one of your family he had killed ?

they can drink their self to oblivion , just don't get behind the wheel of 

a vehicle , 

regards worgeordie 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, worgeordie said:
3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Would you be so forgiving if it was one of your family he had killed ?

they can drink their self to oblivion , just don't get behind the wheel of 

a vehicle , 

Sympathise.....  as in he understands the predicament an alcoholic may find them-self in, their inability to control them-self etc... 

This is not the same as forgiveness. I also agree, just don’t get behind the wheel, but I’ve seen it happen.. Just the one, then another... then before they know it the alcoholic is doing things they’d never consider while sober - its horrible to witness. 

This is no excuse and does not in any form justify the actions, but, the actions can be understood, sympathised with when we recognise alcoholism is a disease not a choice. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jerno said:

Wonder why foreigners are not really welcome in Thailand?  This is why.  Jerk-wah, dipstick, idiot, ignoramus, stupid  IRRESPONSIBLE ass.

Speaking of ignoramuses, on the contrary, foreigners are not unwelcome here. Most Thai people know better than to judge everyone because of the actions of a few. Do you? This is one incident. People get drunk and drive all the time, people from every country and all walks of life. Some end in tragedy unfortunately. However, stories about foreigners tend to capture news coverage. I've been here 10 years, and I have only a few times personally detected an anti foreigner sentiment, it was never overt, and I understand it and don't criticize it. I can understand the idea that foreigners may be seen as invaders and interlopers to the native way of life. I can understand the resentment toward all these "rich" pensioners running around not having to work while Thai people work day and night just to barely survive. But the reality as to most Thai people's sentiments is nothing like what you claimed. I have had more Thai people, from police to the average person on the street, go out of their way to make me feel welcomed and comfortable as guests in their country, to them it is a matter of pride to extend welcome and hospitality. I regularly see the occasional police officer or BTS security guard salute me with a smile as I walk by.  Feel free to voice your views, but don't expect them to mean anything if there is no education behind them. Maybe it's just YOU being made to feel unwelcome, maybe it's your attitude. You don't sound like the kind of person that I would welcome anywhere. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Still feel the need to talk about Thai behavior, pathetic.

16 hours ago, robblok said:

When drunk people have a short fuse. That might have something to do with it. But it would be so bad if this was intentional. I mean he could not be that stupid to do something like that on purpose and thinking to get away with it.

He's probably what people call a mean drunk. A personality change occurs when they drink and they become obnoxious and violent. I'm just speculating, he might also just be a full time ɑ$$hole.  

Edited by Jonathan Swift
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, jesimps said:

"Glad I live far away from that part of LoS."

Wouldn't say that Rayong is the hub of traffic accidents. The odd time I passed through it looked fairly quiet. Don't you farang over in the jungle have cars?

I am also glad that you live faraway,

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This is wrong...  Foreigners are extremely well received in Thailand. 

In tourist area’s where there are plenty of tourists behaving poorly there maybe an element of ’tarred by the same brush’... however, for the most part Thai’s do not judge us all by the actions of a despicable few.

IF you’re walking around drunk in the day time with a hooker on your arm etc you going to be judge. 

IF you’re walking around and behaving perfectly normally, you’re going to be welcomed.

This whole idea that ‘foreigners are not liked or welcomed in Thailand’ are the musings of people who are likely to either feel unwelcome or actually find themselves unwelcome and disliked anywhere they go - Thailand is not the denominator, they are. 

In this case the British man was apparently a burden on society, his drink driving behaviour despicable. 

Thankfully, Thai’s are not so silly enough to think all foreigners are the same. 

There is a difference between accepted, wanted and liked.

We are accepted because we have ATM cards, wanted after visiting an ATM and liked until it runs out.

nothing much else matters!!

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Reigntax said:
13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This is wrong...  Foreigners are extremely well received in Thailand. 

In tourist area’s where there are plenty of tourists behaving poorly there maybe an element of ’tarred by the same brush’... however, for the most part Thai’s do not judge us all by the actions of a despicable few.

IF you’re walking around drunk in the day time with a hooker on your arm etc you going to be judge. 

IF you’re walking around and behaving perfectly normally, you’re going to be welcomed.

This whole idea that ‘foreigners are not liked or welcomed in Thailand’ are the musings of people who are likely to either feel unwelcome or actually find themselves unwelcome and disliked anywhere they go - Thailand is not the denominator, they are. 

In this case the British man was apparently a burden on society, his drink driving behaviour despicable. 

Thankfully, Thai’s are not so silly enough to think all foreigners are the same. 

Expand  

There is a difference between accepted, wanted and liked.

We are accepted because we have ATM cards, wanted after visiting an ATM and liked until it runs out.

Well, obviously my comments wouldn’t cover every foreigner in Thailand.

Its clear some of you are incapable of developing mutually respectful relationships here which is quite understandable given some of the comments. 

Its also quite clear many have, but those who haven't refuse to recognise this and project the same ATM rhetoric you did above. The same characters post things such as ’the faring is always at fault’ etc...   You are of course correct in this instance (thread topic), however ‘always at fault’ is not correct.

18 minutes ago, Reigntax said:

nothing much else matters!!

.... to those you have associate with. Don’t project your poor judgement in friends on others !! 

• Like 1