"Drunk" Brit pensioner, 70, reverses into Thais killing one injuring one - then damages 4 vehicles before overturning

webfact

24 minutes ago, Reigntax said:

Not my friends. If you don’t realise the only benefit you are to the Thai people, then Good luck to you.

And I suppose you thought it was your personality ????????

You are the flaw in your statement - IF you can’t make mutually respectful friendships here I’d suggest looking inwards rather than blaming others. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Skallywag said:

There is "vehicular homicide"  yet in the U.S. hardly anyone who causes a death with their automobile is charged with homicide

Here in Thailand it is called reckless driving causing death, attracts up to a 10yr jail term.

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

And the idea of ‘if the foreigner hadn’t been there..... ‘...  I’ve never heard of anything so stupid in my life... that said, in area’s of the Middle East...  things are that different - but here... No, not at all. 

So you've never heard anything so stupid but you admit it happens in the Middle East...Ok????

I've been here a very long time, I don't drink at all and I'm basing my statement on personal experiences. To be fair, I was exaggerating slightly. Foreigners don't automatically get the blame in any given situation but they're clearly at a disadvantage if in an accident with a Thai. But I've actually heard said argument from a Thai person. So I know for a fact that the thought process definitely exists here. I've helped out in numerous accidents and I'm also allergic to stupid statements and myths about locals from long term expats. I hear them all the time. Your analysis of me couldn't be more wrong which isn't strange since you based it on one single statement. 

6 hours ago, edogthong said:
On 9/6/2022 at 1:58 PM, richard_smith237 said:

And the idea of ‘if the foreigner hadn’t been there..... ‘...  I’ve never heard of anything so stupid in my life... that said, in area’s of the Middle East...  things are that different - but here... No, not at all. 

So you've never heard anything so stupid but you admit it happens in the Middle East...Ok????

Never heard of anything so stupid here...   Thailand is a very different animal to the Middle East...  particularly Saudi.

Edited by richard_smith237

I've been here a very long time, I don't drink at all and I'm basing my statement on personal experiences. To be fair, I was exaggerating slightly. Foreigners don't automatically get the blame in any given situation but they're clearly at a disadvantage if in an accident with a Thai.

I've been given the advantage because I was a foreigner when I argued... "our driving training is to a high standard, now who do you think is telling the truth, me, that I indicated, or him that I didn’t?"

Funnily enough the police went with me !!.. 

But, yes, my anecdote perhaps does not transfer to everyone or every situation.. language and communication is often the key issue. 

I find that as a foreigner we often get treated more favourably or with equal indifference to the Thai’s around is... this is perhaps area specific and down to how we are behaving... perhaps even who we are with.

But I've actually heard said argument from a Thai person. So I know for a fact that the thought process definitely exists here.

I too have heard that argument from a Thai person, but they are usually extremely uneducated people using a flawed logic to try and escape some sort of responsibility... they are clutching at any possible straw... 

I've helped out in numerous accidents and I'm also allergic to stupid statements and myths about locals from long term expats. I hear them all the time.

I read these comments more than I hear them...  But when I do hear them its usually from someone who I suspect to actually be quite stupid !!! (usually an acquaintance, friend of a friend of a friend type scenario after a game of football pitch)

Your analysis of me couldn't be more wrong which isn't strange since you based it on one single statement. 

Apologies...   I have a poor tolerance for ‘the foreigner’ is always at fault type comments which is perpetuated by people well out of the know.

On 9/5/2022 at 11:22 AM, Neeranam said:

Alcoholism is a disease, it could happen to anyone, even youI have sympathy for sick people. 

I have no sympathy for drunk drivers.   I had relatives killed by a drunk driver.  

Ever since the first time I had my own car in 1969 and got drunk, I then walked home, I will not drive after drinking!!!   I will always find some other means of transportation rather than drive myself! 

• Like 1

On 9/7/2022 at 3:03 AM, edogthong said:

I've been here a very long time, I don't drink at all and I'm basing my statement on personal experiences. To be fair, I was exaggerating slightly. Foreigners don't automatically get the blame in any given situation but they're clearly at a disadvantage if in an accident with a Thai. But I've actually heard said argument from a Thai person. So I know for a fact that the thought process definitely exists here. I've helped out in numerous accidents and I'm also allergic to stupid statements and myths about locals from long term expats. I hear them all the time. Your analysis of me couldn't be more wrong which isn't strange since you based it on one single statement. 

The ‘if the foreigner hadn’t been there..... ‘ thing was definitely said to apply in Saudi Arabia, where I worked for 3 years. Saudis are awful drivers, but some colleagues said that Egyptians are the worst!

1 hour ago, Andrew65 said:

some colleagues said that Egyptians are the worst!

I can attest to that. In Cairo, drivers actually bump into each other as a normal part of driving. It would be impossible to have pristine car in Egypt. It will get scratched or bumped on the way home from the dealership.