"Drunk" Brit pensioner, 70, reverses into Thais killing one injuring one - then damages 4 vehicles before overturning

webfact

He has no where to escape ,cost him all or any of his money.To be fair the thais are drunk too and drive.A stay in the bangkok hilton is coming his way now,looking at the scene the rocks were moved  as well when reversing

Edited by bristolgeoff

8 hours ago, Jerno said:

Wonder why foreigners are not really welcome in Thailand?  This is why.  Jerk-wah, dipstick, idiot, ignoramus, stupid  IRRESPONSIBLE ass.

yes, this bloke is all as you have said..........but that is not the reason we are not welcomed here.

it goes far deeper than that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jerno said:

Wonder why foreigners are not really welcome in Thailand?  This is why.  Jerk-wah, dipstick, idiot, ignoramus, stupid  IRRESPONSIBLE ass.

Do you mean because this type of drunken dangerous driving is not associated with  the local population? If so I’ve got news for you,look at the road death statistics (25,000 deaths per year). This is not to excuse his behavior,I hope he suffers horribly for it ,but so I do for the similar Thai drivers,something which doesn’t seem to happen. Furthermore I would suggest that any statistical analysis would likely show that proportionately ,resident farang drivers here are less likely to be involved in serious traffic accidents than the norm. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Do you mean because this type of drunken dangerous driving is not associated with  the local population? If so I’ve got news for you,look at the road death statistics (25,000 deaths per year). This is not to excuse his behavior,I hope he suffers horribly for it ,but so I do for the similar Thai drivers,something which doesn’t seem to happen. Furthermore I would suggest that any statistical analysis would likely show that proportionately ,resident farang drivers here are less likely to be involved in serious traffic accidents than the norm. 

Has it been shown/proven the soapdodger was drunk ?

Hate think think you are beating your chest from your high horse without facts.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

Actually, the reasons why are long standing prejudice, jealousy, hatred that some of their women marry them, insecurity, and a hatred from higher ups that western ways will take over and the people will revolt, wanting to live with more freedom. This is news because it's a foreigner, and doesn't take away the fact that there are an average of 65 deaths daily on the roads that are attributed to drunk, incompetent drivers and the lack of enforcement of laws on the books.

Correct

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

That they're here on visas labeled Non-Immigrant kinda shows you're wrong. 

Actually, Non-Immigrant visas are the path toward citizenship in this backward Land of Surprises.

Note that the "resident permit" requires a Non-Immigrant visa.

DETAILED INFORMATION NEEDED FOR RESIDENCE PERMIT APPLICATIONS (BY YEARLY QUOTA PER NATIONALITY)

1. An applicant’s qualifications

A foreign national may qualify to apply for a residence permit if he/she
1.1 holds a passport of his/her current nationality, which was granted a NON-IMMIGRANT VISA and has been permitted to stay in the
Kingdom of Thailand on the basis of one year visa extension for the total of at least 3 consecutive years up to the application

submission date.

. . .

Next, note that the residence permit is a requirement for the Thai-citizenship application:

Tasks to acquire Thai nationality
Tel : 02-205-1901 , 02-252-1714

Documents that are requied when applying for Thai nationality

Five (5) copies of the Alien Book (every page that has information recorded)

Five (5) copies of the Certificate of Residence (every page that has information recorded)

. . .

However, our drunk foreigner of this story has a considerable strike against him already in this process:

Guidance on applying for naturalization as a Thai Based on the guidelines for consideration in applying for naturalization as a Thai, which the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Thailand approved on October 14, 2009, the qualifications of applicants for naturalization as a Thai have been determined. as follows:

1. Have reached the age of majority under Thai law and the law in which the person is of nationality

2. have good behavior They must pass a criminal background check. (handwritten for examination) Political behavior, drugs, behavior related to national security and foreign arrest warrants

. . .

Drunken driving is hardly "good behavior," nor would it be exactly drug-free.

2 minutes ago, PEE TEE said:

Witnesses said that the British man lived locally and was a habitual drunkard who would drive in the wrong lane and that local people were fed up with his behavior.... so why was no action taken before this happened 

I thought the British drove on the same side of the road as the Thai, so I find this a bit strange.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

"Apparently drunk British Man"

So where is the evidence of him being drunk ?

Until such time that a breath test is carried out how can one ascertain his alcohol level, appalling reporting imo.

It's a translation. The Thai says he appeared drunk. There was indeed no evidence. It's a fair translation and the use of the word apparent is reasonable in my view. 

Rooster

3 hours ago, aussienam said:

Would this Brit have done the same in the UK?  Seems many here choose to drink drive because 'everyone' does it.  But don't consider potential consequences. 

Running over people then driving off is the epitomy of being a complete lowlife.  Drunken fool.  Prison, huge fines, massive compensation claims and deportation.  

This Brit guy can be characterized as a pomey?

Really well-written article. Author provides not only details about the accident and police observations about the driver, but background information about the driver from residents. While it may be too early to conclusively conclude the driver was drunk, the writer has laid out an evidentiary trail that definitely points in that direction. Thanks to the author for your thoroughness.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Thunglom said:

A profoundly unintelligent reply - eyone knows what is says on you visa - that is not the internationally recognised definition of "immigrant" - if you live in a country long-term you are an immigrant regardless of what iit says on your passport - how about refugees, alum seekers - migrate means to move  immigrant means to move in-simples...

I do 12 mo. extensions, check in with poppa every 90 days. I am not an immigrant.

Edited by EVENKEEL
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Agree with edwin above.  Lock up then get rid of.  Glad I live far away from that part of LoS.

"Glad I live far away from that part of LoS."

Wouldn't say that Rayong is the hub of traffic accidents. The odd time I passed through it looked fairly quiet. Don't you farang over in the jungle have cars?

12 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:
15 minutes ago, PEE TEE said:

Witnesses said that the British man lived locally and was a habitual drunkard who would drive in the wrong lane and that local people were fed up with his behavior.... so why was no action taken before this happened 

I thought the British drove on the same side of the road as the Thai, so I find this a bit strange.

I figured they meant never drove straight in his lane / often veered out of his lane....  

... again, that could just be questionable translation...  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jerno said:

Not welcome?

Because this guy drove as 1000s of drunk (and many not drunk) Thai drivers habitually do?

All he did was "blend" with the "culture".

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:
2 hours ago, Thunglom said:

A profoundly unintelligent reply - eyone knows what is says on you visa - that is not the internationally recognised definition of "immigrant" - if you live in a country long-term you are an immigrant regardless of what iit says on your passport - how about refugees, alum seekers - migrate means to move  immigrant means to move in-simples...

I have 12 extensions, check in with poppa every 90 days. I am not an immigrant.

The definition of an Immigration is a person who comes to live permanently in a foreign country...

Any single one of us who are not Thai yet live long term in Thailand can accurately be considered immigrations, equally so we could be termed residents, expats etc etc... the terms are not mutually exclusive or inaccurate....

The topic itself is a particularly moot point and irrelevant point except for those who get hung up in the semantics of the terminology - it just means a foreigner living here (or anywhere) and we all know that. 

• Like 1