visa requirements

I'm doing this for a mate, who is PC illiterate, and becomes confused/fustrated very easily, so I would appreciate answers ONLY to the questions asked, I'm not interested in the pros and cons.

He is retiring , next year, on an Australian pension, approx 51000 baht/month, and some savings, though not a lot. He has a Thai GF of 4 years, and does plan on marrying her.
He has tried getting visa requirements, but it simply confuses him, as it mentions
1. Retirement

• A security deposit of 800,000 Thai Baht in a bank account in Thailand for 2 months before the visa application
  • A monthly income of 65,000 Thai Baht
  • A combination of the security deposit and annual income of 800,000 Thai Baht2. Marriage
    2. Marriage
  •  400,000 THB in your bank account deposited at least 3 months prior to visa application or copy of your income showing 40,000 THB per month in income
    3. Are there any other options

Regards
  • Confused 1

2. The 400k baht only needs to be in the bank for 2 months. The 3 months before ended over a decade ago.

3. No

If he got married he could apply for multiple entry non-o visa a nearby embassy or consulate that would allow unlimited 90 day entries for a year.

• Like 1

For retirement, he needs either 800k baht in Thai bank or 65k baht monthly income into Thai bank (you make it sound like needs both).

The other option is combination of deposit and income to make up 800k, so if he has 50k pension per month, that's 600k per year so he'll need to have 200k deposit to make up the shortfall

Obviousy exchange rate fluctuation could drop his 50k monthly to example 45k so he would need to be careful (suggest increase deposit for safety net)

1 hour ago, Aussie999 said:

so I would appreciate answers ONLY to the questions asked

but you didn't ask any questions. Except possibly "3. are there any other options", the answer to which is "probably not" (there are other type of visas but apparently out of your friend's budget).

In turn, a lot of things are unclear from your post that prevent giving advice on this forum, and in fact you/he seem not to want any. I just hope that your friend knows very well what he is doing.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

As suggested by ubonjoe, multi-entry non-O visas for marriage obtained from the Savannakhet Consulate requiring no proof of funds plus border runs every 90 days during the lifetime of each visa strike me as being the most practicable option in your pal's case, once, of course, he has married his girlfriend. An additional advantage is that he would also be spared any possibly confusing (for him) dealings with his local immigration office, including no need for 90-day reports, nor even for a TM30 form to be filed in his case.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 2

I'm doing this for a mate, who is PC illiterate, and becomes confused/fustrated very easily, so I would appreciate answers ONLY to the questions asked, I'm not interested in the pros and cons.

It would be more helpful if you asked the correct question.

The requirements listed in your OP are for a visa extension rather than a visa. Visas are normally issued by the local embassy so the "visa requirements" would be listed on the respective website.

If you are looking for the requirements to convert to a visa within Thailand, that would be a different question that hasn't been asked.

OP, I misread your post as your friend did NOT plan to marry.

When I read @OJASpost realized that indeed it is his plan to marry.

Obviously the ME non O marriage as mentioned earlier is good option.

Be aware that a non O obtained at Thai immigration with annual extensions does not have difficult financials.

All up amounts to 400k in bank for 2 months + under consideration period.

Then the funds can be used. 

One option would be to come to Thailand on visa exempt (soon to be 45 day) and obtain extension.

couple of border runs wash and repeat.

Gives plenty of time to marry.

Then he can opt for the ME non O from eg Savannakhet or the non O marriage obtained at immigration. 

Edited by DrJack54

5 hours ago, arithai12 said:

but you didn't ask any questions. Except possibly "3. are there any other options", the answer to which is "probably not" (there are other type of visas but apparently out of your friend's budget).

In turn, a lot of things are unclear from your post that prevent giving advice on this forum, and in fact you/he seem not to want any. I just hope that your friend knows very well what he is doing.

Seems 2 others understand... but thnx for your reply, and I'm sooo sorry I asked only 1 question , but it seems you're one of those who shouldn't have.

Edited by Aussie999

5 hours ago, sandyf said:

It would be more helpful if you asked the correct question.

The requirements listed in your OP are for a visa extension rather than a visa. Visas are normally issued by the local embassy so the "visa requirements" would be listed on the respective website.

If you are looking for the requirements to convert to a visa within Thailand, that would be a different question that hasn't been asked.

thnx... but he is first looking at moving to Thailand, any extension will come later, and then more questions will be asked

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

2. The 400k baht only needs to be in the bank for 2 months. The 3 months before ended over a decade ago.

3. No

If he got married he could apply for multiple entry non-o visa a nearby embassy or consulate that would allow unlimited 90 day entries for a year.

If I read correctly, if he does the 90 day border run, on a multiple Entry non-o visa, then he doesn't need to 400,000, if so I will certainly let him know, though he is a bit lazy, and forgetful.

6 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

For retirement, he needs either 800k baht in Thai bank or 65k baht monthly income into Thai bank (you make it sound like needs both).

The other option is combination of deposit and income to make up 800k, so if he has 50k pension per month, that's 600k per year so he'll need to have 200k deposit to make up the shortfall

Obviousy exchange rate fluctuation could drop his 50k monthly to example 45k so he would need to be careful (suggest increase deposit for safety net)

Thnx for your reply, if I read correctly, if he gets married, and can show an income of more than 50K, a month, then he doesn't need 400,000 in the bank, as it is covered by his pension.

59 minutes ago, Aussie999 said:

Thnx for your reply, if I read correctly, if he gets married, and can show an income of more than 50K, a month, then he doesn't need 400,000 in the bank, as it is covered by his pension.

I've mainly researched retirement but I believe that would be correct (example: if I  can prove 70k per month, 800k would not be required in bank for retirement)

Edited by aussiexpat

thnx... but he is first looking at moving to Thailand, any extension will come later, and then more questions will be asked

So why quote the requirements for an extension?

He has 2 options, get a visa before coming to Thailand or come visa exempt and convert to a visa after arrival in Thailand.

From what you said the former appears to be more appropriate and the requirements would be listed on his local embassy/consulate website.

I think Australia is not yet on the e-visa platform which has standardised requirements to a certain extent and I gather the consulates do vary a bit in Oz.

May just be a case of sticking his passport in the post with some documents. The Canberra requirements can be found here.

https://canberra.thaiembassy.org/non-immigrant-visa-category-o-for-retirement-valid-for-90-days/