Koh Samui Immigration - Form TM.30 - proof of residency

Hi All, here's a question about Form TM.30 (notification of residence) which is required for a retirement extension in Samui and some other kinds of applications; and related question about residency documents:

1. Normally the landlord registers Form TM.30 (online or in person) but in some Immigration offices the tenant is allowed to sign it and register it in person (since he is "possessor" of the property even if not owner).  Has anyone successfully done this in the Samui office?

2. Has anyone done the retirement extension at Samui while staying in a hotel/short-stay accommodation?  If so how did you handle the requirement for the "house rental contract and copy of your household book" which are on the Samui office document list?  

Edited by TerraplaneGuy

3 hours ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

1. Normally the landlord registers Form TM.30 (online or in person) but in some Immigration offices the tenant is allowed to sign it and register it in person (since he is "possessor" of the property even if not owner).  Has anyone successfully done this in the Samui office?

Surat Thani Immigration - of which the Samui office is a branch - has an well working online system for TM30. The landlord or hotel will get an spread-sheet file (.xls) as receipt for registration. You can ask for a print of that, it's accepted by Samui Immigration, we house owners that self-register online, also use a print.

You should be able to register TM30 yourself in person at Samui Immigration, we all had to do that once, bach when they began to ask for TM30-receipt when applying for annual extension of stay, thereafter we could continue online...????

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2022 at 8:31 AM, khunPer said:

Surat Thani Immigration - of which the Samui office is a branch - has an well working online system for TM30. The landlord or hotel will get an spread-sheet file (.xls) as receipt for registration. You can ask for a print of that, it's accepted by Samui Immigration, we house owners that self-register online, also use a print.

You should be able to register TM30 yourself in person at Samui Immigration, we all had to do that once, bach when they began to ask for TM30-receipt when applying for annual extension of stay, thereafter we could continue online...????

Last time I did my extension I didn't supply any proof of TM30. My gf registered me online via the mobile app and I had a screenshot, but I didn't print it or showed it to anyone.... nobody asked for it.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, gearbox said:

Last time I did my extension I didn't supply any proof of TM30. My gf registered me online via the mobile app and I had a screenshot, but I didn't print it or showed it to anyone.... nobody asked for it.

Good to hear.  Yet the TM30 is on the document list of Samui Immigration for extensions (they don't actually call it that, they call it "Document for the Notification of the Residence of Foreigners").  You must have got lucky.  Did you submit the household book and lease ("house rental contract") which are also on the list?

I haven't done one for several years now. The last time I went there, they stapled a piece of paper in my passport saying that I have registered my place of address with them. That seems to be good enough. No more questions ever asked as I must be 'in their system' now.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Good to hear.  Yet the TM30 is on the document list of Samui Immigration for extensions (they don't actually call it that, they call it "Document for the Notification of the Residence of Foreigners").  You must have got lucky.  Did you submit the household book and lease ("house rental contract") which are also on the list?

I have an yellow book, I submitted that as we don't rent anymore. However my knowledge is that the yellow book holders are not exempt of showing TM30 paperwork, it is a document similar to a rental contract with regards to the extension.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gearbox said:

I have an yellow book, I submitted that as we don't rent anymore. However my knowledge is that the yellow book holders are not exempt of showing TM30 paperwork, it is a document similar to a rental contract with regards to the extension.

The TM30 registration has been changed for expats, so if you live in the same place, you don't need to register anymore, even if you temporary stay in another province, or take a trip abroad and enter on re-entry permit. The TM6 arrival-address card has also been (temporary) cancelled. I'm glad to hear that it seems like Samui Immigration has decided to follow these changes in practice...????

• Like 2

On 9/14/2022 at 1:57 PM, khunPer said:

The TM30 registration has been changed for expats, so if you live in the same place, you don't need to register anymore, even if you temporary stay in another province, or take a trip abroad and enter on re-entry permit. The TM6 arrival-address card has also been (temporary) cancelled. I'm glad to hear that it seems like Samui Immigration has decided to follow these changes in practice...????

May I ask when this happened? To my knowledge the TM30 was still in full swing and I have not seen anything announced .  I even know people who recently had issues when they tried to get a residency confirmation for the LTO and had to jump through hoops because they did not fill a TM30 in the last 2 years.

On 9/14/2022 at 1:57 PM, khunPer said:

I'm aware of that change but I'm not sure it solves the problems.  For example, if you live in Samui but go to stay in BKK for a month in a hotel or service apartment, the hotel will register a TM30 for you online on arrival.  When you go back to your home in Samui, if you don't register another TM30 with the Samui address, I wonder if that BKK registration will foul you up when you go back for your extension of stay (in my case a retirement extension) because your current address will show as BKK, the last place a TM30 was registered.  If so, I guess you'd have to register a fresh TM30 showing Samui as your address.  Or maybe the BKK TM30 won't change your "residence address" in the system, I've seen a post that indicated that but not sure.

6 hours ago, huberthammer said:

May I ask when this happened? To my knowledge the TM30 was still in full swing and I have not seen anything announced .  I even know people who recently had issues when they tried to get a residency confirmation for the LTO and had to jump through hoops because they did not fill a TM30 in the last 2 years.

To my knowledge June 2020.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

I'm aware of that change but I'm not sure it solves the problems.  For example, if you live in Samui but go to stay in BKK for a month in a hotel or service apartment, the hotel will register a TM30 for you online on arrival.  When you go back to your home in Samui, if you don't register another TM30 with the Samui address, I wonder if that BKK registration will foul you up when you go back for your extension of stay (in my case a retirement extension) because your current address will show as BKK, the last place a TM30 was registered.  If so, I guess you'd have to register a fresh TM30 showing Samui as your address.  Or maybe the BKK TM30 won't change your "residence address" in the system, I've seen a post that indicated that but not sure.

Not according to the new rules - you can even travel abroad and re-enter Thailand, if you have a re-entry permit - but always remember that Samui Immigration Office can have their own rules...????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1