Faulty Aircraft Disrupts Operations at Phuket Airport

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture courtesy of AoT Phuket

A faulty aircraft caused major disruptions at the Phuket International Airport. The aircraft, which experienced a hydraulic steering system failure, was stuck on the runway. Unable to move without a pushback tractor, the situation created an Aircraft-On-Ground (AOG) scenario, necessitating immediate maintenance.

The incident began at 10.32 am, when the incomplete functioning aircraft resulted in a hydraulic oil spill on the runway, thus posing a safety risk for other aircrafts. The airport authorities quickly issued a Notice to Airmen (NOTAM), informing pilots about the temporary closure of Runway 09/27 for cleanup.

Apart from the cleanup, authorities also evaluated the runway’s surface friction to ensure it met safety guidelines. By 11.37 am, just over an hour after the incident, normal operations on the runway were restored. 

In total, the malfunction affected 15 flights, according to a notice from Phuket Airport. Consequently, five inbound flights were rerouted to different airports, another five could not land, and five outbound flights were delayed.

To prevent similar occurrences, investigations into the faulty aircraft are underway, along with measures to enhance safety and operational efficiency at the Phuket Airport.

-- ASEAN NOW 2024-04-25

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

image.jpeg

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Was it one of those dodgy Russian planes? 

Yes

Phuket Airport did not disclose the specific flight, but FlightRadar24 data indicates that it was Aeroflot flight SU626 from Yekaterinburg, operated by an Airbus A330-300, registration number RA-73783.

Details appeared in Russian language media.

https://www.novostiphuketa.asia/polomka-laynera-aeroflota-pri-posadke-sorvala-grafik-reysov-na-phukete-20061.php

IMG_2484.png

IMG_2485.png

Edited by Georgealbert
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Yes

Phuket Airport did not disclose the specific flight, but FlightRadar24 data indicates that it was Aeroflot flight SU626 from Yekaterinburg, operated by an Airbus A330-300, registration number RA-73783.

IMG_2484.png

I thought so 

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The incident began at 10.32 am, when the incomplete functioning aircraft resulted in a hydraulic oil spill on the runway, thus posing a safety risk for other aircrafts. The airport authorities quickly issued a Notice to Airmen (NOTAM), informing pilots about the temporary closure of Runway 09/27 for cleanup.

Apart from the cleanup, authorities also evaluated the runway’s surface friction to ensure it met safety guidelines. By 11.37 am, just over an hour after the incident, normal operations on the runway were restored

Just another day at an airport.

51 minutes ago, RayWright said:

Being Russian getting parts and local maintenance would be an issue. Maybe @GinBoy2's idea of a Russian themed restaurant could have legs.

Or it could have wings and take off in a big way with the local Ruskies!

:partytime2:

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Agree 2

Obviously a american made Boeing with all the scandals of poor conception and build that are leaking out even on the latest models. I definately will not board any airline that makes me embark in a Boeing from now on.

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Sigmund said:

Obviously a american made Boeing with all the scandals of poor conception and build that are leaking out even on the latest models. I definately will not board any airline that makes me embark in a Boeing from now on.

Sorry, but this was absolutely nothing to do with Boeing.

It was an Airbus aircraft, but again nothing to do with the factory, as this aircraft is over 12 years old, and this seems more to be an airline maintenance/parts problem. Full aircraft details below.

IMG_2498.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cowellandrew said:

And the clean up looks like wash oil down the drain with big red fire engine!

😂

Thats exactly what it looks like.

In the real world we'd be covering it with kitty litter, then shoveling it up and disposed as toxic waste, but TiT, go figure!

Enjoy the water you drink, and the sea you swim in....

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Sigmund said:

Sometimes I wonder about the reading and comprehension skills of posters on here.

Read and you will see it's an Airbus.

So that rules out Boeing and Airbus, best you be checking out flights on a Chinese COMAC aircraft. 

Good Luck with that

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

this seems more to be an airline maintenance/parts problem.

Yep, I'd say that hydraulic component that failed isn't a Boeing parts.

Most parts for those Russian planes would have to be made in house, by Russians in Russia. 

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Since this was an Airbus, given the currents sanctions, good luck in getting the AOG parts to fix it!

That birdie might be spending a few years in Phuket.

The plane keeps flying normally 

Flightradar24

6 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Most parts for those Russian planes would have to be made in house, by Russians in Russia. 

That’s not correct. Parts being bought from Boeing or Airbus. Not directly but through third countries, there are always someone who want to make some extra buck. Moreover, Airbus and Boeing do not want for their plane to crash whatever country it belongs, so the safety issues are being fixed directly, just not publicly.

11 minutes ago, VBer said:

That’s not correct. Parts being bought from Boeing or Airbus. Not directly but through third countries, there are always someone who want to make some extra buck. Moreover, Airbus and Boeing do not want for their plane to crash whatever country it belongs, so the safety issues are being fixed directly, just not publicly.

I'd say your are somewhat correct but that's a huge hydraulic oil spill. It seems unusual for this type of accident, that's why I thought of after market parts. 

I wouldn't think an approved parts vendor would supply a part that would fail in this way. 

Just my opinion 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

If the wrong hose/tubing breaks, the hydraulic fluid reservoir can empty. Possible damage from hard landings, poor maintenance or inspection among other causes leading up to the failure. 
AVHerald or one of the other aviation safety sites should have something on their website in the near future. 

1 hour ago, degrub said:

If the wrong hose/tubing breaks, the hydraulic fluid reservoir can empty. Possible damage from hard landings, poor maintenance or inspection among other causes leading up to the failure. 
AVHerald or one of the other aviation safety sites should have something on their website in the near future. 

Agree with your comments, but I think the airline and airport, will not make this a reportable incident, under ICAO annex 13, definitions.

“Incident. An occurrence, other than an accident, associated with the operation of an aircraft which affects or could affect the safety of operation.

Serious incident. An incident involving circumstances indicating that an accident nearly occurred.”

Do I would be surprised to see any further details appearing, even on aviation safety sites.

18 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

Or it could have wings and take off in a big way with the local Ruskies!

:partytime2:

Good point. Get Red Bull to sponsor it, that'll give it wiiings! If it's going in 3 years time, job for Boss as the Maitre D'.

22 minutes ago, This Guy said:

Just a sad racist little man aren't you

Are you Russian? 

I didn't comment to offend but in all seriousness those planes must be dodgy. 

BTW, I'm not racist or little, I think you have the wrong guy.