Non Immigrant Voluntary Visa

I have tried searching online but alas I cannot find anything specific on this. 

I understand that as a volunteer you can only be paid minimal expenses to cover housing. My understanding is that you cannot earn a salary. If so, is there a ceiling on expenses? 

Thanks in advance. 

On 9/6/2022 at 8:27 PM, BritTim said:

There is no ceiling on expenses, and some NGOs may pay volunteers a (limited) salary. It is not a factor in the application for a Non O (volunteer) visa or a related extension of your permission to stay.

Thanks @BritTimwhat sort of salary would classify as limited? 

Presumably lying about a salary to Immigration officers would be a big issue.

Edited by stament

1 hour ago, stament said:

Thanks @BritTimwhat sort of salary would classify as limited? 

Presumably lying about a salary to Immigration officers would be a big issue.

At this point, we are not dealing with an Immigration question. As with any kind of work, the remuneration will depend on your qualifications, responsibilities and the individual organisation. What is almost always true is that your salary when working for an NGO will be lower than for a job with similar responsibilities in the commercial sector.

Someone else might be able to suggest a more suitable forum for suggesting organisations you might approach dependant on your qualifications, where you are willing to work, and the length of the commitment you would be willing to make.

• Thanks 1

On 9/6/2022 at 1:52 PM, stament said:

I understand that as a volunteer you can only be paid minimal expenses to cover housing. My understanding is that you cannot earn a salary. If so, is there a ceiling on expenses?

Why not outline what type of volunteering you have in mind.

If it's for visa purposes just state that. 

If it's to do volunteering work in a specific field I would have thought the NGO would answer any questions.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BritTim said:

At this point, we are not dealing with an Immigration question. As with any kind of work, the remuneration will depend on your qualifications, responsibilities and the individual organisation. What is almost always true is that your salary when working for an NGO will be lower than for a job with similar responsibilities in the commercial sector.

Someone else might be able to suggest a more suitable forum for suggesting organisations you might approach dependant on your qualifications, where you are willing to work, and the length of the commitment you would be willing to make.

It's a generic question (not for me specifically at the moment) as I thought reading the voluntary visa rules it implies that you can only be paid expenses not a salary.   If you are to be paid a salary, I thought the NGO would give you a normal working visa and work permit as opposed to a volunteering visa and a work permit.  I hope that clarifies the distinction I am referring to.

Thanks again

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Why not outline what type of volunteering you have in mind.

If it's for visa purposes just state that. 

If it's to do volunteering work in a specific field I would have thought the NGO would answer any questions.

Not for visa purposes.  It's a question of whether when working for a NGO and being paid a salary as opposed to expenses that it's allowable to have a volunteering visa and a work permit or do you need a normal visa that allows you to work (whatever visa that may be that allows you to be paid a salary) and of course the accompanying visa.

In short, is it against the rules to be paid a salary on a voluntary visa as the rules refer to expenses.  

3 hours ago, stament said:

It's a generic question (not for me specifically at the moment) as I thought reading the voluntary visa rules it implies that you can only be paid expenses not a salary.   If you are to be paid a salary, I thought the NGO would give you a normal working visa and work permit as opposed to a volunteering visa and a work permit.  I hope that clarifies the distinction I am referring to.

Thanks again

There is a difference between a visa/extension of stay and a work permit. Even as someone in Thailand on a volunteer visa, you may require a work permit. In practice, those engaging in part time volunteer work and/or a short stint as a volunteer will very rarely be prosecuted for a failure to have a work permit, though this kind of volunteering will usually not come with a salary. 

EDIT: Note that some kinds of volunteering can, from an immigration point of view, be presented as an internship. This is classed as a student visa, and avoids the need for a work permit. It is always unpaid, and you might actually need to pay to participate. Such programs are often scams. Common areas where they operate are to help in orphanages, and animal welfare.

Edited by BritTim