Best Options

9 hours ago, Eddie45 said:

What did we used to do before the internet. If you decide to deposit 65,000 a month in your bank account instead of the 800,000.

Until a few years ago, a retirement extension based on income required an income letter from your embassy. This was true however much you transferred into Thailand and how much you held in your overseas bank account. This was a big advantage for those whose spending in Thailand was less than 65,000 baht per month, but who had expenses they needed to cover in home country.

5 minutes ago, Eddie45 said:

How many months of the 65K bank transfers would immigration need to see before I could apply for the visa.

You would not be able to apply for a non-o visa at immigration with transfers. They only accept letters from a embassy to do it.

For the first extension of stay 2 or 3 is allowed according to the written order for using transfers into a Thai bank but many immigration office will want to see 12 months of transfers.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Eddie45 said:

How many months of the 65K bank transfers would immigration need to see before I could apply for the visa.

Stated earlier. 12 months of transfers.

To put sharper edge on uj post above ...I can't recall one post where someone has been able to obtain a non O extensions with couple of month transfers without income letter from embassy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You would not be able to apply for a non-o visa at immigration with transfers. They only accept letters from a embassy to do it.

For the first extension of stay 2 or 3 is allowed according to the written order for using transfers into a Thai bank but many immigration office will want to see 12 months of transfers.

Is it possible to provide further information about the letter from the embassy

4 minutes ago, Eddie45 said:

Is it possible to provide further information about the letter from the embassy

Not all embassies do them. The UK, US and Australian embassy don't.

The format of them and requirements varies from embassy to embassy.

• Thanks 1

Just now, ubonjoe said:

Not all embassies do them. The UK, US and Australian embassy don't.

The format of them and requirements varies from embassy to embassy.

If you are from the UK and the UK embassies don't do these letters, what do you do?

Edited by Eddie45

12 minutes ago, Eddie45 said:

If you are from the UK and the UK embassies don't do these letters, what do you do?

The only thing you can do is to show 65k baht of income transferred into a Thai bank from abroad.

It will likely not possible to do for the first extension unless the immigration office you use will accept 2 or 3 months of transfer instead of 12 months.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It will likely not possible to do for the first extension unless the immigration office you use will accept 2 or 3 months of transfer instead of 12 months.

Can you point to ONE report that has accepted couple of months of income for first extension based on retirement.

If an immigration office exists that does that I think a lot of business coming in their direction.

51 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Can you point to ONE report that has accepted couple of months of income for first extension based on retirement.

If an immigration office exists that does that I think a lot of business coming in their direction.

As usual, Thailand succeeds in being ambiguous in their announced rules. Most people (reasonably) interpret "first year" as meaning the first extension after the initial 90 days from a Non O visa. However, I think immigration offices (rightly or wrongly) have assumed that it only means the first extension after introduction of the new rules in 2019 allowing transfers from abroad into your bank account as income proof, without an embassy letter.

Immigration did allow fewer than 12 monthly transfers for the first extension in 2019 after introduction of the new rules. I seem to recall that one or two people indicated that, in 2019, they were also able to use two or three monthly transfers for a first extension from the initial 90 days from the visa, but I cannot quickly find posts that confirm that. As you say, I can recall no reports of success after 2019, but that might have been because almost no one tried during Covid.

46 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I can recall no reports of success after 2019, but that might have been because almost no one tried during Covid.

So after monologue about not much ....

The bottom line is that anyone obtaining a non O retirement in Thailand and seeking to obtain 12 month extentions needs to use money in bank method. 

Many have asked about this as evident in current threads. 

To those folk: ...forget income method unless you can show 12 months of transfers. 

24 minutes ago, Eddie45 said:

I am from the UK

So as stated throughout thread 

You can use income method with 12 month record of transfers.

Otherwise you need to use money in bank method.

Which part is confusing. 

You cannot obtain income letter from UK embassy.