Cost of Setting Up a Grow Room

Eddie45

On 9/8/2022 at 7:25 AM, stoner said:

good spyder led - 20k baht

everything else you can cheap out on

if growing indoor you will need to have ac running 24 7 and add co2

Expensive!

Couldn't you just grow them in some good soil outdoors with a little tender loving care.  We used to do that in California. 

They always got ripped off just a few days before harvest.   Frustrating.

Sounds like a lot of work.  Weeds pretty cheap here and probably going to get cheaper.

Edited by MrJ2U
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Expensive!

Couldn't you just grow them in some good soil outdoors with a little tender loving care.  We used to do that in California. 

They always got ripped off just a few days before harvest.   Frustrating.

Sounds like a lot of work.  Weeds pretty cheap here and probably going to get cheaper.

cheap mid to low quality weed is going to get cheaper i agree. great weed always fetches a high price. 

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, tomster said:

But what happens when supply top shelf is significantly greater than demand, which is where we are very rapidly headed?

our idea of top shelf is quite different. most growers don't grow top shelf. again that is debatable on what you and i both consider top shelf. 

prices for mids are going to drop fast you and everyone else are right about that. 

my friend was getting 2200 to 2400 on average usd per pound for his grows before leaving america and coming to thailand. 

true top shelf AAA quality. smoked it and was totally shocked to be honest. it has changed my perception on what true top shelf really is. and i have been high for 30 years. smoked all over the world bla bla bla. 

1 hour ago, stoner said:

cheap mid to low quality weed is going to get cheaper i agree. great weed always fetches a high price. 

I haven't smoked pot for 30 years.  I remember growing it in our parents backyard.  We each were able to grow one plant each (4 brothers).  

I thought it would be fun to grow a few in a few pots in our backyard.   It's so tropical and humid.  A little fertilizer occasionally.   Right amount of water and good soil.   Shouldn't I be able to produce some descent weed?

Anyways my wife won't let me in any case.  

15 hours ago, tomster said:

With respect BritManToo - an open tent is just Mylar and somewhere to hang your light.

Correctly set up grow tents are controlled environments, very different animals... ????

Happy grows!

Depends what you think a grow tent is for ...........

I think it's

1. to keep the plants hidden.

2. to hide the smell.

3. to keep the plants warm in a cold northern winter.

4. to control the light for photos.

In Thailand I only need to control the light for photos, so mine is open during veg.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/8/2022 at 5:06 PM, Trippy said:

I keep my room at 27c, 800 watt light and 2 dehumidifiers, costs around 6000 a month in electricity. But my aircon is old, a newer one might be more efficient.  

Your .electric bill per month in total is 6 k or is plus 6k? Thanks

On 10/7/2022 at 11:40 PM, Solrac1 said:

Your .electric bill per month in total is 6 k or is plus 6k? Thanks

plus 6,000, and actually now plus 7,000 cause the price of electricity just went up due to a new fuel surcharge. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/9/2022 at 8:22 AM, Trippy said:

plus 6,000, and actually now plus 7,000 cause the price of electricity just went up due to a new fuel surcharge. 

I found that very expensive 7k per month and growing takes 5 months 35000 thai bhat  for growing your own weed

I am growing outdoors so far good enough with the sun  i have 7 hours and planing in also use some led light 600 watt outdors no tent only a fan hoping my bill will incresse plus 2000 bhat per month all together

On 10/9/2022 at 8:22 AM, Trippy said:

My last bill was 386bht, mostly for my grow tent light (HLG 240 + Quantum board).

@Eddie45 been growing in Thailand since COVID started.

Before this year it was entirely in a tent, but this year I've moved my flowering outside, so far so good.

The western plants don't like full sunlight, they just shrivel and die, so I have to keep them in 50% shade. So experimental veg and clone inside, flower outside at the moment. The plants are much bigger than the last grow tent crop, but will there be more flower?.

I also have some Thai plants outside in full sun, so far they've grown big but I view them as a waste of my time. Too many males, too little flowering, and you don't know if the seeds are what they were claimed to be.

Plants from western seeds ............2-3ft tall and flowering about 2 weeks.

Tropical Punch

IMG_20221102_092943.jpg

BubbleGummer

IMG_20221102_094531.jpg

Cheeselicious

IMG_20221102_093012.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Solrac1 said:

I found that very expensive 7k per month and growing takes 5 months 35000 thai bhat  for growing your own weed

I am growing outdoors so far good enough with the sun  i have 7 hours and planing in also use some led light 600 watt outdors no tent only a fan hoping my bill will incresse plus 2000 bhat per month all together

It depends on what you want ... the light from the sun isnt the problem, its the enviroment(light cycle, heat, humidity and pests), if you want decent buds then its worth the cost in my opinion. 6k was my bill last month with full power light, ac, extract, fans and  dehumidifier on 24/7

Edited by CraigInBangkok
  • Like 1

On 11/1/2022 at 9:55 PM, Solrac1 said:

Well, not really. Even if I was only doing 1 crop, my 800 watt light wouldn't be on during veg.

And you can have 1 crop in flower and another crop in veg, either in a tent or another room, so when one is finished you immediately put the next crop in flower like an assembly line.

Thus getting 2 crops every 4 1/2 to 5 months. 

Edited by Trippy
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Interesting thread.  What about reflected light?  Don't these mylar tents reflect the light so more is available for the plant rather than just in the direct line from the light source?   It would be a fun hobby of I was living here since it's legal and I need to keep occupied.  I considered setting up bro in law and sister in-law with basic equipment but I have decided there is no way they would understand how to do this.  The one grower in town didn't know about female or male plants or that the flowers are prime. So the soil and pots I bought can be used for her house plants.  

1 more question.  If there is a freshness need for pot what is it? 2 months? 4?and your grow yeilds more than you can consume it means you need to sell some or reduce your grow size.     I know it would depend on strength and how much you consume.   I get like 3 uses out of the 1/2 g rolls I bought in asoke.   So what would be best size rent and light for a single user who didn't plan to sell or give a way much.  

18 minutes ago, Elkski said:

Interesting thread.  What about reflected light?  Don't these mylar tents reflect the light so more is available for the plant rather than just in the direct line from the light source?   It would be a fun hobby of I was living here since it's legal and I need to keep occupied.  I considered setting up bro in law and sister in-law with basic equipment but I have decided there is no way they would understand how to do this.  The one grower in town didn't know about female or male plants or that the flowers are prime. So the soil and pots I bought can be used for her house plants.  

1 more question.  If there is a freshness need for pot what is it? 2 months? 4?and your grow yeilds more than you can consume it means you need to sell some or reduce your grow size.     I know it would depend on strength and how much you consume.   I get like 3 uses out of the 1/2 g rolls I bought in asoke.   So what would be best size rent and light for a single user who didn't plan to sell or give a way much.  

couple questions first.

have you ever grown cannabis yourself before ? and are you actually looking to get high from the smoke ? 

I grew once in chest freezer lined with foil and temp control.  Really a pretty good grow Problem was I used bad seeds.  I did worry about the strong smell in the later stages of the grow since it was  not legal where I lived then and I didn't want to exhiust outside for sure.   I used a bank of 8 4'  fluorescent grow lights  that were kept close to the 2 or 3 plants.    I don't smoke so much at home and usually get more gifts than I can use. I use a bong when I do.  I  have used it every few days the last month on my visit in Thailand.  Biggest issue is I'm a non smoker and don't have my bong and seem to get a cough from smoking.  I did enjoy at least 4 samples of edibles from Asoke area.  The strength needs to get under control as the sellers didn't know for sure and 1 kicked my ass.  From what I've been reading the last 8 months I expected many Thais in rural areas to be trying this as a cash Crop but maybe not so much.  

I should add that the one grower doesn't like to smoke due to his worry it would reduce his lung capacity as he is a hard worker so it seems putting it in soup is the norm here.   I was given some top cuttings. It is a female with young buds it does have hairs but is not ready.  I doubt it adds much kick to soup but Iay find out.  He didn't know to kill the boys or the flowers is where it is at.  He says his grow is outside and gets sun from noon on.  

Edited by Elkski
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2022 at 10:17 PM, tomster said:

Cali import now 300-400 Baht

Only online.

I'm seeing lots of shonky stuff in Bangkok shops.

While it's easy enough to stay clear of the stupid priced stuff, b450-600 seems norm and probably older, less desirable bud.

Anyone notice the promo of "Thai organics" presumably grown indoors I think prolly first generation of reasonable quality here. THC levels suspect.

I question the THC levels in a few purchases I've made. Two were outdoor.

Aside from ridiculous numbers like 30% THC I think most of its just a come-on. Most shops really don't have a clue to THC levels. That's fine... very stony weed for b200gm ok but let's drop the b800 nonsense..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SuperSilverHaze said:

Only online.

I'm seeing lots of shonky stuff in Bangkok shops.

While it's easy enough to stay clear of the stupid priced stuff, b450-600 seems norm and probably older, less desirable bud.

Anyone notice the promo of "Thai organics" presumably grown indoors I think prolly first generation of reasonable quality here. THC levels suspect.

I question the THC levels in a few purchases I've made. Two were outdoor.

Aside from ridiculous numbers like 30% THC I think most of its just a come-on. Most shops really don't have a clue to THC levels. That's fine... very stony weed for b200gm ok but let's drop the b800 nonsense..

Do you find that the high THC plants get you the most stoned?

Super Silver Haze for example is listed as 21% which wouldn't make it into the top 5 weeds in the dispensaries that sell by THC content, but a well grown pheno is an excellent weed that will absolutely blow your head off.

The more organised dispensaries are using the Purplpro THC testers which are accurate to about 3% compared to labs, so generally offer a reasonable guide.

Not sure what that is actually worth though, the best weed is not the one with the highest THC level, imho - it's the one that has the best grower growing it.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, tomster said:

Not sure what that is actually worth though, the best weed is not the one with the highest THC level, imho - it's the one that has the best grower growing it.

I generally only smoke my her own weed.

I she only buys seeds that offer THC 20%+ (and cost less than 6GBP each) from Attitude seedbank.

If I need to smoke more than 0.5gm to do the job, it's either thrown or used as a pizza topping.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, tomster said:

the best weed is not the one with the highest THC level, imho - it's the one that has the best grower growing it.

Yes 100% true one of the best strains I have had here so far  is blue diesel which I think is listed 16% thc from a small time grower, I know this weed is freshly cropped not 2,3,4,5,6 months old.

this is why you don’t want to be buying from big big commercial growers a lot of that weed is old and no care taken when growing.

THC levels quoted everywhere are just what that strain can be if grown perfectly,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you can find the levels anywhere on Internet,,,,I doubt any shops are actually testing properly.

Edited by taninthai
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, taninthai said:

Yes 100% true one of the best strains I have had here so far  is blue diesel which I think is listed 16% thc from a small time grower, I know this weed is freshly cropped not 2,3,4,5,6 months old.

this is why you don’t want to be buying from big big commercial growers a lot of that weed is old and no care taken when growing.

Actually most experienced growers go with 2 weeks drying and 6 weeks in cure so 2 months is perfect. ????

It's also well documented that the terpenes in vacuum packed weed peak at 3 months from when you seal the bag. Grove Bags state that the weed is still improving until the 6th month in their bags and only then will it start to degrade, and then at a slow rate.

But there are many variables in storage that can mean that that the weed is garbage relatively quickly (as is seen in many disp. here in Thailand currently putting all their weed in jars that are opened and close multiple times per day).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tomster said:

But there are many variables in storage that can mean that that the weed is garbage relatively quickly (as is seen in many disp. here in Thailand currently putting all their weed in jars that are opened and close multiple times per day).

i don't think many of them realize that in this climate it only takes a few minutes for the bud to start to be effected. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tomster said:

Actually most experienced growers go with 2 weeks drying and 6 weeks in cure so 2 months is perfect. ????

In a perfect world yes you not really gonna find any decent cured weed in thailand at the Minuit …you got to that yourself.

For now fresh bud picked and dried for 10/14 days is good enough for me.

3 minutes ago, taninthai said:

In a perfect world yes you not really gonna find any decent cured weed in thailand at the Minuit …you got to that yourself.

For now fresh bud picked and dried for 10/14 days is good enough for me.

You need to look for different buying channels, there is plenty of well cured weed about.

1 hour ago, tomster said:

You need to look for different buying channels, there is plenty of well cured weed about.

Really I have yet to see any,and I have been through a few selections tried a few from shops at 500 a gram absolute rubbish ,my limit is now 300 bht a gram and I’m finding decent stuff at that price and below but no way it’s cured

Edited by taninthai

On 11/2/2022 at 10:52 AM, CraigInBangkok said:

It depends on what you want ... the light from the sun isnt the problem, its the enviroment(light cycle, heat, humidity and pests), if you want decent buds then its worth the cost in my opinion. 6k was my bill last month with full power light, ac, extract, fans and  dehumidifier on 24/7

Seems like you could spend 5k pm on weed retail - let's say quarter Oz of rippin good weed and be 1lk ahead. That's just the power bill ????????

On 1/19/2023 at 10:23 AM, taninthai said:

Really I have yet to see any,and I have been through a few selections tried a few from shops at 500 a gram absolute rubbish ,my limit is now 300 bht a gram and I’m finding decent stuff at that price and below but no way it’s cured

Are you in the shops in BKK looking about? 300b possible but rare. B500-50 more commonplace. Anything dead center lower Sukhumvhit seems still deadly expensive. Many of these shops will wash out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SuperSilverHaze said:

Are you in the shops in BKK looking about? 300b possible but rare. B500-50 more commonplace. Anything dead center lower Sukhumvhit seems still deadly expensive. Many of these shops will wash out.

I’m down south far from bkk I give up with the shops all overpriced I smoke 10 grams a week no way I’m paying 500 upwards ,,,I’m pretty happy with the 2 online contacts I got getting decent weed from 150 to 250 bht????????????????

On 1/20/2023 at 1:09 PM, SuperSilverHaze said:

Seems like you could spend 5k pm on weed retail - let's say quarter Oz of rippin good weed and be 1lk ahead. That's just the power bill ????????

Yes, but if you know what your doing, you can get 3 or 4 Oz from 1 plant.