Queen Elizabeth II, the UK's longest-serving monarch, has died

Scott

47 minutes ago, georgesidi said:

London Bridge has fallen.

Not fallen, initiated.

The day the Queen dies follows a series of carefully constructed plans that have been in place since the 1960s in a process dubbed “Operation London Bridge”.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/operation-london-bridge-queen-dies-b2162881.html

RIP.

4 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Not appropriate 

For some of us who are not British and do not know, it is very helpful to see information like what you are labeling as inappropriate.  Please spare a thought for those of us who are not up to speed on everything and for whom these details are much appreciated.

I note also that the news is already talking about converting the British currency to feature the new king.  The worrying part is that they say the current currency with the Queen will still be usable "for now."  This leaves questions as to what is happening, and what sort of economic impact it might have on many.

The queen certainly deserved the well-earned appreciation and love of many, as she was always so courteous and cheerful.  May others learn from her example.

4 hours ago, jayboy said:

How little you understand about the British monarchy.The hereditary principle is sacrosanct and in any case the question of popularity is barely relevant.I would go further and argue that the British monarchy is the opposite of celebrity.It's based - at its best - on self denial, duty and service.Elizabeth epitomized this and Charles and William both understand it.

LOL.

Have you forgotten the monarch that abdicated for love, last century? Have you forgotten the "celebrity" princess?

There is absolutely nothing to stop Charles abdicating in favour of William, and saving the country a bundle of money in the process.

I understand quite enough about the British monarchy to not be attacking other posters about it.

I have no wish to be disturbing the respectful vibe of this thread, so will not respond to any further attack.

Queen Elizabeth II Passes Away Aged 96

by Krajangwit Johjit

image.png

BANGKOK (NNT) - Queen Elizabeth II, the longest-reigning monarch in British history and a symbol instantly recognized by billions of people worldwide, has died. She was 96.

Buckingham Palace issued a brief statement announcing her passing, prompting ten days of national mourning and a flood of tributes to her long life and record-breaking reign.

The palace announced, “the Queen passed away peacefully at Balmoral."

Charles, Prince of Wales, the eldest of her four children and the oldest heir apparent in British history, at age 73, immediately becomes king.

Two days earlier, the queen appointed Liz Truss as the 15th prime minister of her reign and was photographed smiling while using a walking stick and appearing feeble.

In 1952, at 25, Queen Elizabeth II ascended the throne in the aftermath of International War II, joining a world stage dominated by political figures such as Mao Zedong, Joseph Stalin, and Dwight D. Eisenhower.

She reigned as the leader of the Commonwealth, which comprises 56 nations and a fifth of the world’s population, and as the supreme administrator of the Church of England.

The last time the Queen visited Thailand was in 1996. She hosted King Bhumibol Adulyadej the Great and Queen Sirikit the Queen Mother during their 1960 state visit to the United Kingdom.

Source: https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG220909100807633

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-09-09

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

There is a lot that can be said but that it is the end of the U.K. I think is not that of a true member of the dominion.  The U.K. has been up and down and faced many eras of depression.

Elizabeth was a true and gracious lady that not only represented the U.K. she represented a great many countries and gave guidance to a great many.

As a Canadian, it was my honour and privilege to meet her twice and to serve as a liaison to HMS Britannia.

No matter the event or the people that were present, she made everyone that attended events feel special.

She is someone that a lot of leaders could take some lessons from in humility and ethics.

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN 

may she enjoy her life in the hereafter with Philip and watch over us all.

Well said. Here are some reminiscences of her from one of our most experienced politicians.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Poor Charles, waited all his life for this, and now he may very well abdicate in favour of William. I guess we'll have to see if he actually has the ceremony or not.

It would cost a lot of money for him to become king ( bank notes, stationary etc ) and would likely be only a few years.

William is the better choice, and he's popular as well, but I always doubted it was going to change as long as she was alive.

Well some would say you need a rubbish much maligned monarch after a much revered one as when they are removed the new generation will renew its love for the crown. Yet others may say that comparison could be drawn with another country.

• Thanks 1