Queen Elizabeth II, the UK's longest-serving monarch, has died

Scott

Very sad the Queen has died.  She was extremely dedicated to the public service role she was born into, and regardless of whether or not she was the best person for the job she did it admirably nonetheless, and even garnered respect and warmth from even those who do not believe that such a monarchy should exist in modern times.   

Now, I'm hearing some nonsense about the weekends football matches being cancelled over this and this is the part where I start to get a tad irritated.   Sporting occasions are a great way for people to come together and celebrate a life well lived (as well as show their respects) and I very much doubt someone who loved a sporting occasion like the Queen would want these events to stop on her behalf so hopefully that will not be the case.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, silver sea said:

Yes very true:

Quote: 

“She simply adored him.

‘She never looked at anyone else,’ said her first cousin and close childhood friend, Margaret Rhodes, who died in 2016. ‘She was smitten from the start — a one-man woman.’

‘That famous first meeting came when Elizabeth was just 13 and on a visit with her parents to Dartmouth Naval College. While the King and Queen were taken on an official tour, Philip was the blond, handsome young cadet deputed to entertain her and her little sister, Princess Margaret.

‘He exuded a brash confidence that made her almost breathless. Years later, as Queen, it was his same certainty about everything that made her feel secure.“

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11195679/The-Queen-Prince-Philip-chapter-romantic-royal-love-story.html

And the crowds gasped at the sight of a double rainbow over Buckingham Palace after her death had been announced.. When was the last time you saw a double rainbow? So it must be the Queen and Prince Philip together again:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11194625/A-sign-Incredible-moment-RAINBOWS-appear-Buckingham-Palace.html

4CD651D3-AD57-45B8-A322-F57F18BFFDEC.jpeg

Like literally a couple weeks ago. They fairly common. Let's not over egg the pudding.

Edited by starky

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

It's not nonsense it is done out of respect. 

Not really.   People (who have a lot less money than the royal family) buy tickets/accommodation in advance to travel to sporting events at the weekend and I do not see why they should lose money/lose out because a celebrity figure has passed.   The traditional way that respect is paid is a minutes silence (or applause) at the start of games and the wearing of black armbands.   I do not see why this should be any different.    

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The Government have allowed to games to go ahead and its up to the sports governing bodies to make the decision .

One of the issues is the Police and whether they will be available to attend sporting events or be deployed to the funeral/ gatherings before the funeral

For the funeral I can understand as this will attract a lot of high profile visitors from around the world and will need a significant police presence, but that is in 10 days time.  It's the suggestion that the games would need to be cancelled (as opposed to minute's silence) this weekend that has me a little riled.    Normal folks plan (and shell out cash) in advance to travel to games, and the passing of a major celebrity figure (yes, even the Queen) should not be reason enough to cancel them.  

Nadim Zahawi announced it to Liz Truss at Prime Minister’s Question Time yesterday just after midday,remember he has horses and famously tried to get the British taxpayer to heat his stables despite being worth around £100 Million?

Balmoral will have stables also so maybe that’s where his insider information on the slip of paper came from,as you can see Liss Truss’ eyes widen as she sits bolt upright having received the sad news?

Of course no official announcement had been made of this historical event so they were forced to cover it up,claiming the unprecedented news of the Queen’s health being of grave concern according to her doctors was all that they knew? 
Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II in all likelihood died peacefully in her sleep in the early hours of the morning as many people do? :

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-11195445/HENRY-DEEDES-watches-Commons-news-Queens-deteriorating-health-spread.html

Edited by Phnom Penh Trader
Missed out the word died I am still in shock like the rest of the UK?

32 minutes ago, James105 said:

Not really.   People (who have a lot less money than the royal family) buy tickets/accommodation in advance to travel to sporting events at the weekend and I do not see why they should lose money/lose out because a celebrity figure has passed.   The traditional way that respect is paid is a minutes silence (or applause) at the start of games and the wearing of black armbands.   I do not see why this should be any different.    

They can’t be that short of money if they shelled out for accommodation, any tickets cancelled will also be refunded. If you have such a problem then go tell that to the Football League they are the ones who make the decisions along with other sporting associations. Nobody is forcing them to stop anything. 

Edited by coolcarer
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Richard1950 said:

What a stupid, uninformed and needless comment. Be careful what you wish for because the UK has helped more countries that any other in history. Financial support through foreign aid and military support to name but two, both given freely at our own expense

He's well known on here for his anti-British comments, Richard; probably time to start ignoring his trolling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1