Queen Elizabeth II, the UK's longest-serving monarch, has died

Scott

17 hours ago, Thunglom said:

BBC they braodcast this

"London (CNN Business)More than 26 million people tuned in to watch the Queen's funeral in the United Kingdom on Monday, the first to be televised for a British monarch.

An average of 26.2 million people watched the hour of the Queen's funeral service in Westminster Abbey on TV screens, according to the Broadcasters' Audience Research Board (BARB).

It makes it one of the biggest moments in British TV history, although it fell short of the record 32.3 million people who tuned in to see England win the World Cup final in 1966, which garnered the biggest ever audience, according to the BBC."

"20 million people watched the coronation in 1953, according to the BBC, with many gathered around TV sets in pubs and neighbors' homes. Cameras were installed in Westminster Abbey for the first time to cover the event."

"In 1966, around 59% of the UK population watched England beat West Germany in the World Cup final. Today's viewing figures for people watching the Queen's funeral on TV sets alone represent a similar proportion, at 55%."

"Ratings for Queen's funeral suggest more people in UK watched Euro final last year" - Indenpendant..

considering this was the biggest piece of pageantry in British history, the figures need to be seen in perspective. People liked te Queen but now the role of the "Crown" needs to be re-assessed.

Reassessed because of media stuff...........????

I prefer thousands of years of UK history, not your Big mac/Smartphone ideology..................????..............????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Thunglom said:

BBC they braodcast this

"London (CNN Business)More than 26 million people tuned in to watch the Queen's funeral in the United Kingdom on Monday, the first to be televised for a British monarch.

An average of 26.2 million people watched the hour of the Queen's funeral service in Westminster Abbey on TV screens, according to the Broadcasters' Audience Research Board (BARB).

It makes it one of the biggest moments in British TV history, although it fell short of the record 32.3 million people who tuned in to see England win the World Cup final in 1966, which garnered the biggest ever audience, according to the BBC."

"20 million people watched the coronation in 1953, according to the BBC, with many gathered around TV sets in pubs and neighbors' homes. Cameras were installed in Westminster Abbey for the first time to cover the event."

"In 1966, around 59% of the UK population watched England beat West Germany in the World Cup final. Today's viewing figures for people watching the Queen's funeral on TV sets alone represent a similar proportion, at 55%."

"Ratings for Queen's funeral suggest more people in UK watched Euro final last year" - Indenpendant..

considering this was the biggest piece of pageantry in British history, the figures need to be seen in perspective. People liked te Queen but now the role of the "Crown" needs to be re-assessed.

The BBC doesn't like to admit how unpopular it is these days - millions more watched on alternate media - your own perspective is not widely shared.

Edited by nauseus

5 minutes ago, nauseus said:

The BBC doesn't like to admit how unpopular it is these days - millions more watched on alternate media - your own perspective is not widely shared.

hat's you motivation here? the figures aren't from the BBC - I think you just want to beige the Queen is more popular two she really is.

People cite "thousands of years of history" tat they patently don't know.

They make comparisons to Putin when the opposite is the case.

I find this blind loyalty to a monarch rather than understanding the constitutional role of te crown is worrying.

I also think that  the nape-of-the-neck reaction to stay without any real thought is vey disturbing.

Cognitive dissonance at its very worst.

PS - It might interest some to know that I'm a monarchist, but I know why.

1 minute ago, Thunglom said:

hat's you motivation here? the figures aren't from the BBC - I think you just want to beige the Queen is more popular two she really is.

I find this blind loyalty to a monarch rather than understanding the constitutional role of te crown is worrying.

I also think that  the nape-of-the-neck reaction to stay without any real thought is vey disturbing.

The Queen was generally liked as a person , you don't have to be a Monarchist to like a particular person .

People mourned the death of a nice person , even if you are a republican , you can still mourn the death of a nice person 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

If you post with proper links, then that might lead to less confusion. Depending on where you look, the viewing numbers vary over a wide range. Your response above is just gibberish. What is Putin doing in there?

I am pro monarchy, yes. I think it has acted as a good check on some of the more dubious governments and PM's that have occupied power in the UK system. But to use things like soccer matches sixty years ago, with far less viewing availability and options, in a world with half the population of today is no real comparison and just ridiculous. 

Edited by nauseus

12 minutes ago, nauseus said:

But to use things like soccer matches sixty years ago, with far less viewing availability and options,

Back then, there was only three different Television channels and two of those were showing the game live and there was a 1940's American black and white film on the other channel 

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

If you post with proper links, then that might lead to less confusion. Depending on where you look, the viewing numbers vary over a wide range. Your response above is just gibberish. What is Putin doing in there?

I am pro monarchy, yes. I think it has acted as a good check on some of the more dubious governments and PM's that have occupied power in the UK system. But to use things like soccer matches sixty years ago, with far less viewing availability and options, in a world with half the population of today is no real comparison and just ridiculous. 

links are there.......

but your assessment of the role of the crown is cliche'd and naive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Back then, there was only three different Television channels and two of those were showing the game live and there was a 1940's American black and white film on the other channel 

Now who needs a history lesson!!!

6 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The Queen was generally liked as a person , you don't have to be a Monarchist to like a particular person .

People mourned the death of a nice person , even if you are a republican , you can still mourn the death of a nice person 

I have to agree with you, The Queen is/was probaly the most likable known person in the world, at least among English celebrities! Mr Bean a strong nr 2

10 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Do correct me oif I was wrong about anything 

BBC1 and ITV both showed th Cup final live and the only other TV channel showed an old black and white movie 

Why do you keep quoting me? You haven't got anything to say.....

9 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Why do you keep quoting me? You haven't got anything to say.....

I wasn't quoting you , look back to see who I quoted .

But you did say that I need a "history lesson" and you didnt explain what you meant .

As you cannot explain what you meant and you get confused about quoting ,  I wont even bother asking you again ????

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Thunglom said:

So blind loyalty to Putin is far from worrying in your eyes but rather to be fulsomely praised to the very highest heavens as being the best thing since sliced bread, then, is it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
On 9/9/2022 at 7:43 AM, Falcon said:

RIP your majesty, Queen Elizabeth.

she kept her word right to the end and reigned over the country until the day she died, never giving up regardless of health or age. I am sure she’ll be missed by countless people the world over.

There certainly will never be another like her. Godspeed, Her Majesty. May god (small “G,” and meaning fate) protect the Kingdom (along with the rest of us) from its/our baser instincts and inclinations. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Songlaw said:

There certainly will never be another like her. Godspeed, Her Majesty. May god (small “G,” and meaning fate) protect the Kingdom (along with the rest of us) from its/our baser instincts and inclinations. 

Erm...  Kind of wondering where you have been for the last 228 days if you are posting about this now... :whistling:

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Erm...  Kind of wondering where you have been for the last 228 days if you are posting about this now... :whistling:

Well, don’t keep us in suspense. What have you come up with? It’s a puzzle we’ve all been working on, for sure. ????