COVID-19 test for arrival (Sep 10th)?

I'm flying from USA tomorrow and I saw my airline United says there are COVID 19 restrictions to enter the country. I already applied for my visa online and they didn't ask for anything COVID related but do I still need to show a negative test or proof of vaccination? I thought they ended all of this on July 1st but maybe I missed some detail. Thanks.

EDIT: my vaccination card was from 13 months ago. Do they still accept this?

EDIT 2: from https://www.thaiembassy.com/weekly-updates/thailand-pass-not-required-starting-july-1-temporary-suspension-of-tm6-card:

Unvaccinated/not fully vaccinated travelers who are randomly checked and who are unable to show proof of a pre-arrival negative test will be required to undergo a professional ATK test at the point of entry.

I assume this means since my vaccination card is 13 months ago I'll be subject to failing a random test and get tested at the airport? 

Edited by NorthernRyland

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

As of July 1 nothing is required if fully vacvinatedsnd there is no time limit on when the vaccinations were received.  

Flew in from Manchester UK last week with Emirates via Dubai nothing shown on check in, nothing shown Dubai to Bangkok, nothing asked for at immigration, every immigration desk was open, easy 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies guys. Yes I am flying through Japan but unless they changed their rules from 2 months I didn't encounter any checks there.

I was nervous about my old vaccine card so I ran out and got a $159 rapid antigen test just to be sure. It sounds like I may not need it but I got worried because of that alert from United the website link I showed. 

42 minutes ago, flexomike said:

at both the check ins they asked for Covid records

That website said they will conduct random checks in Thailand but maybe that's not true.

What COVID "records"? were they looking for. It sounds like Japan is the problem here and not even Thailand!

1 minute ago, NorthernRyland said:

That website said they will conduct random checks in Thailand but maybe that's not true.

What COVID "records"? were they looking for. It sounds like Japan is the problem here and not even Thailand!

My flight from Pnohm Penh was checked in July, my flight from Siem Reap in August - luck of the draw.   (both flights into Cambodia were fully checked).

The check is for evidence of vaccination. Two shots is deemed to be sufficient and paper or digital evidence is acceptable.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

I came in from Vietnam last week we were asked at Check-in if we had vaccinations, but they never checked our records but on arrival at Don Mueng there were two staff waiting to check our vaccination status before heading to immigration. Both my wife and I had a hard copy of our European vaccination certificate. The check was no more than a glimpse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, flexomike said:

I just came in late last night, nothing was asked for on the Thailand end, I transited from Minneapolis through Chicago, at both the check ins they asked for Covid records because of Japans strict entry requirements even though Japan does not require anything for transiting through, wifes last shot was eight months ago. If not going through Japan it should be a no issue, just make sure you make a copy of your Covid shots and you should be just fine

I connected at Narita on Sep 7(BKK-SIN-NRT-LAX).  I was not asked about Covid vaccination record or test.  At Narita they checked my passport, boarding pass and carryon bag. After this I went to the 7-11 and had an Asahi.  Then I boarded my flight to LAX.  

I came back to LA this time to get the BA4 Variant Pfizer Booster This Pfizer booster is now readily available in the US and I got mine at a local CVS Pharmacy.  

2 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

I was asked for it in Minneapolis and Chicago, nothing was asked for in Narita or Suvarnabumi

2 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

no problem in Japan or Thailand, just asked for in Minneapolis and Chicago

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Hopefully can sneak quick question into this thread.

Did you also fly from Thailand into Vietnam.

What was required. 

Did you require a visa. 

I did fly from Thailand to Vietnam no vaccination proof was necessary but there was some confusion on requirements about whether we needed insurance. We decided to go without insurance and could buy at airport if challenged but were never asked for any insurance. For visa I am a UK passport holder, and we can enter for 15 days exempt and that's the method I used and stayed for 15 days inclusive of entry day and exit day. Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

Qatar were checking vaccination record at MAN a couple of weeks ago.

Traveled Sept 1st with Qatar from MAN , was also asked for vax info, my 2 x Pfizer over 12 months ago was sufficient .

Appeared that several without documentation were sent for testing .

9 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Traveled Sept 1st with Qatar from MAN , was also asked for vax info, my 2 x Pfizer over 12 months ago was sufficient .

Appeared that several without documentation were sent for testing .

Were they sent for testing at Manchester, or Suvarnabhumi?

I wonder what happens if, at Suvarnabhumi, you are sent for testing, but refuse to take the test. Are they going to deny entry or put you in quarantine?

• Like 1

Sorry guys I forgot to give my update on what happened after getting to back to Maskland.

Basically the ATK test was totally ignored and they only cared about my 13 month old vaccine card. I was checked once in Denver where I embarked and then once in San Francisco before I boarded to Japan. As others reported once actually arriving in BKK I wasn't asked to show anything and there was no evidence of any random checks, booths, staff etc.... Breezed through immigration with no lines at record speed also which was nice.

So yeah for anyone interested probably don't bother with the expensive ATK test and just rely on your vaccine card if you have one, no matter how old it may be. If I didn't have that I do believe I would need to show the ATK test in both those same locations.

On 9/10/2022 at 7:49 AM, Sheryl said:

As of July 1 nothing is required if fully vacvinatedsnd there is no time limit on when the vaccinations were received.  

From 1st October onwards is proof of fully vaccinated needed? What exactly is ok as proof, just a printout from your government site that you've had 2 doses?

11 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Basically the ATK test was totally ignored and they only cared about my 13 month old vaccine card.

A covid 19 test is has not been required since July 1st if fully vaccinated. There is no limit on how old the vaccination can be at this time.

7 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

From 1st October onwards is proof of fully vaccinated needed? What exactly is ok as proof, just a printout from your government site that you've had 2 doses?

As far as I know they haven't announced any changes to the entry requirement criteria so I assume it is business as usual until further notice.

45 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A covid 19 test is has not been required since July 1st if fully vaccinated. There is no limit on how old the vaccination can be at this time.

I read on http://thaiembassy.com (is it even official?) that you need to be full FULLY vaccinated and their conducting random tests. This is why I rushed out to get that ATK test last minute because I thought I could get refused at one of the checkpoints since the card is older than 12 or even 6 months.

There is a limit on the time of the vaccination? Where is that stipulated? 

9 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

I read on http://thaiembassy.com (is it even official?) that you need to be full FULLY vaccinated and their conducting random tests. This is why I rushed out to get that ATK test last minute because I thought I could get refused at one of the checkpoints since the card is older than 12 or even 6 months.

There is a limit on the time of the vaccination? Where is that stipulated? 

This from the bottom of the webpage you posted a link for. image.png.c74f39ae8463751de86dbc8d6f8e1844.png

What wrote should of had a no in it. Fixed now. "There is no limit on how old the vaccination can be at this time."

Official info follows.

image.png.86d0adc3750ae9804925e7a98cff6c48.png

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

What wrote should of had a no in it. Fixed now. "There is no limit on how old the vaccination can be at this time."

I wish they would explicitly say this instead of using the term "fully vaccinated". I still haven't seen where this is stipulated from an official text so it leaves open the possibility of some staff reading something in to it.

2 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

I wish they would explicitly say this instead of using the term "fully vaccinated". I still haven't seen where this is stipulated from an official text so it leaves open the possibility of some staff reading something in to it.

The vague requirements as to what is classified as “ fully vaccinated “ concerned me a little as I traveled to the U.K. in August, returning Sept 2nd. But my 2 x Pfizer vax , over a year old , were accepted by Qatar Airlines on check in at Manchester airport.

Some different reports from others though: another poster reported Emirates didn’t request any vaccination information from the same airport ( Manchester ) a day earlier yet a friend of mine travelling from Belgium , with Emirates, was specifically asked for vaccination info ( unvaccinated, he had a negative antibody test ). 
So, my advice would be, prepare to be asked for vaccination proof on check in  but the original 2 x vaccinations are sufficient irrespective of date or any boosters.

Also, I saw no random testing or any requests for vaccination proof on arrival in Thailand although I had prepared by carrying an ATK test with me.

18 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Fully vaccinated is 2 doses or is it more than that?

6 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Fully vaccinated is 2 doses or is it more than that?

I hear now and again that the status of "fully vaccinated" resets after some period of time since these so-called vaccines only offer protection for some limited period of time, which is well less than 12 months. 

This is of course just the opinion of some government in the world trying to impose a vaccine mandate but we don't know who/where is going to come to which conclusion.

EDIT: here's a random example I found https://globalnews.ca/news/8919947/covid-canada-update-fully-vaccinated-definition/ of people debating the issue of fully vaccinated. The idea is out there so it's best to take note of it.

snippet:

On Friday, Dr. Theresa Tam told reporters during a briefing the COVID-19 vaccine efficiency wanes significantly over time, from 50 to 80 per cent effectiveness down to 20 per cent or lower six months after the second dose.

Edited by NorthernRyland
  • Thumbs Up 1