Do you ever think about the family that left you behind

steven100

21 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

You didn't drink enough and got caught in the melancholy stage. A few more drinks would have gotten you to the righteous indignation stage.

yeah right .....   I think I got to that stage a couple more bottles later if I remember ...  then I didn't care who was dead  !

Edited by steven100

On 9/14/2022 at 12:23 PM, remobb said:

Yes, I do often. My mother and father died, then my older brother and now my oldest sister. All of which my son has never met. Reason being, I lost contact for many years due to travelling around and moving to Thailand. Now, I cannot afford to go back to the UK to see my remaining family. my regrets are that my son will probably never meet his English family, at least while I am still alive. Now I am 71 years old. I have re-established contact but it's not the same as seeing them in person. I still live in hope that one day I will take my son to meet them, a dream.

Do they talk via internet? Even that would be better than nothing. Of course internet did not exist back when my grandparents were alive, and they never wrote to me. I think they were disappointed with my mother for leaving them while she went off traveling the world.

• Like 1

I do miss my aunts and uncles, and my grandparents. Miss my folks too, who passed on well before their time. Have some friends who still have them around. That is good fortune, if they are good people, which mine were. 

I was fortunate enough to have good relationships with alot of them, so I take solace in that. Could have done more, but that is in the past. 

I still have three lovely sisters, brothers in laws, and nieces and nephews. A few cousins. We are all close enough, and I am fortunate to get back there often, and we do a family reunion about once a year. Love that. 

Life is far too short to cling to regrets. Move on. Do some inner work. Get rid of the demons. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I do miss my aunts and uncles, and my grandparents. Miss my folks too, who passed on well before their time. Have some friends who still have them around. That is good fortune, if they are good people, which mine were. 

I was fortunate enough to have good relationships with alot of them, so I take solace in that. Could have done more, but that is in the past. 

I still have three lovely sisters, brothers in laws, and nieces and nephews. A few cousins. We are all close enough, and I am fortunate to get back there often, and we do a family reunion about once a year. Love that. 

Life is far too short to cling to regrets. Move on. Do some inner work. Get rid of the demons. 

If anyone still has their parent(s) ask them about anything you could possibly think was of interest, as once they are gone it's too late.

I got my mother to write down about her childhood, and it was very interesting, but I should have also asked her about my childhood before I can remember. My father never spoke to me about his life and I only lived with him for my first 10 years, so I really know nothing about him.

I regret that I didn't find out more while I could.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

As little as possible.

Great relationship with almost all aunts, uncles all but one are gone. All cousins but a few good relations.

Immediate family just a bunch of numbnutz and  retatdz. My brothers are certifiable nut cases.

Edited by BonMot

My youngest American daughter that I'd raised solo was killed in a car crash 4 months before my move here...We were close & it's her I think of the most.... She's next to my Mom & Dad, who were the best one could hope for....I cared for them both through their final chapter & time took it's normal toll.....

I have older daughters in Texas I message + visit when we are there.... There's some cousins in Florida that are 80+....I don't contact them much, but at this age I need to get there for a visit the next time over.....

My son in Washington might as well be on a different planet.... We haven't spoken in years.....

My family here helps me stay stimulated, active & vibrant....

On 9/17/2022 at 7:36 PM, pgrahmm said:

My youngest American daughter that I'd raised solo was killed in a car crash 4 months before my move here...We were close & it's her I think of the most.... She's next to my Mom & Dad, who were the best one could hope for....I cared for them both through their final chapter & time took it's normal toll.....

I have older daughters in Texas I message + visit when we are there.... There's some cousins in Florida that are 80+....I don't contact them much, but at this age I need to get there for a visit the next time over.....

My son in Washington might as well be on a different planet.... We haven't spoken in years.....

My family here helps me stay stimulated, active & vibrant....

If I ever think about my family it's of my younger brother that died when I was 4. I remember nothing about him, but I wonder that if he had lived what sort of relationship we would have. I hope a close one.

Never having had the chance to be in a relationship with him is IMO sadder than if he had lived and we fell out. That happened with one of my sisters and to be honest I don't care if I never see her again.

• Thanks 1