Most of Thailand’s foreign arrivals in July were Malaysian tourists

snoop1130

42 minutes ago, newnative said:

In 2019, European tourists stayed an average 16.8 days in hotels; Americans, 14.4 days.  Not 'an average 4 weeks'.  The average for all international hotel guests that year was 9.26 days.  Sounds about right to me.   My sisters visited in 2017 for 10 days.  That average stay has remained pretty consistent since 2010--always 9 days and change except 2012 when it was 10.2 days.

Yes 14 to 16 days is typical. I find that 22 to 25 is a sweet spot. Long enough to do enough.

19 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Every Thai uses it. We are farangs.

True. But some don't like the term. And it depends on the context. 

Farang is basically a neutral word, but people who respect you (or who should respect you) will not use it - if you hear a work colleague, for example, refer to you as farang they probably mean it as an insult while a taxi driver or market vendor doing the same is unlikely to mean any offense at all.

https://www.into-asia.com/thai_language/farang.php

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

True. But some don't like the term. And it depends on the context. 

Farang is basically a neutral word, but people who respect you (or who should respect you) will not use it - if you hear a work colleague, for example, refer to you as farang they probably mean it as an insult while a taxi driver or market vendor doing the same is unlikely to mean any offense at all.

https://www.into-asia.com/thai_language/farang.php

Friends use your name. It used to bother me, not anymore. After covid i dont stress minor things. Life is too short to worry minor things. "

2 life quotes

"Dont major in minor things"

"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Edited by Sparktrader
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, arithai12 said:

When in their usual environment (=social stigma) they do not dare.

When abroad, they feel "free". Not too different from Catholics that go to church every Sunday in their home country and despise prostitutes if they see them while driving with their wives, and then on arrival in Thailand they run to the go-go chapel at night.

Can't blame them. 

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, joskeshake said:

Of course, people from Europe are being stripped by airline compagnies, I have paid 1641€ one way to Thailand with Emirates in economy class and have to pay for my medical supplies also, shame on Emirates.

Supply and demand. You dont have to pay a price you dont want.

I paid $350 return. I wouldnt have paid more than $700.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2022 at 10:49 PM, PoorSucker said:

But they rarely travel north of Hat Yai. 

Wrong. Malaysians that travel often to Hat Yai are mostly from the northern states of Malaysia, especially Kedah, Penang and Perak because of the relatively short driving distance. Those from the federal capital Kuala Lumpur tend to fly to Bangkok, Phuket, Koh Samui and Chiang Mai.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Obviously.

20 years here and I have never ran into one.  Most Muslims I know don't drink. Perhaps Malaysian Muslims are exempt? 

Don't you know Malaysia has a sizeable ethnic Chinese and Indian population? You may have a hard time distinguishing between a Chinese from China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia. I see plenty of fellow Chinese Malaysians here in Bangkok all the time.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Friends use your name. It used to bother me, not anymore. After covid i dont stress minor things. Life is too short to worry minor things. "

2 life quotes

"Dont major in minor things"

"What other people think of me is none of my business"

You are absolutely right. Good point. I don't care much. Just mentioned it.

But, thick skin and a lack of victim culture are good things. We need to be part of the solution, not part of the problem. Too many are claiming to be victims of this and that. Thanks for the reminder not to be petty. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Supply and demand. You dont have to pay a price you dont want.

I paid $350 return. I wouldnt have paid more than $700.

Correct. Part of the reason for high inflation, is the willingness of people to pay stupid prices for things. If people were sensible, and just said NO, companies would not be able to get away with the "post Covid larceny".

6 hours ago, Selatan said:

Don't you know Malaysia has a sizeable ethnic Chinese and Indian population? You may have a hard time distinguishing between a Chinese from China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia. I see plenty of fellow Chinese Malaysians here in Bangkok all the time.

Probably just wasn't looking for them.

Now that you've mentioned it I'll probably see them everywhere now. 

22 hours ago, newnative said:

In 2019, European tourists stayed an average 16.8 days in hotels; Americans, 14.4 days.  Not 'an average 4 weeks'.  The average for all international hotel guests that year was 9.26 days.  Sounds about right to me.   My sisters visited in 2017 for 10 days.  That average stay has remained pretty consistent since 2010--always 9 days and change except 2012 when it was 10.2 days.

Hotels, yes. But there is a sizeable number of long term snowbird tourists who escape to Thailand for 3-4 winter months, they will rent an apartment usually. Counting them together with the two week hotel tourists and dividing total number of days spent by both groups by number of farang visitors will produce an average of 4 weeks per farang.

Besides, if i stay 2 weeks in one hotel then move to stay 2 weeks in another hotel/city, do they count me as an average 2 weeks farang from hotel records?

Edited by AnotherFarang8

On 9/12/2022 at 9:49 PM, PoorSucker said:

Last I checked, Hat Yai in Thailand.

On 9/13/2022 at 9:48 AM, shackleton said:

Considering the majority of Malaysian tourists are coming through the border near Hat Yai probably on a daily basis 

Let's have the numbers arriving at the International Airports for a truer figure of Arrivals coming to spend their

money on hotels. Restaurants ect ????

Malaysians coming through the border near Hat Yai still require hotel accommodation and F&B. What difference does it make if they fly in to an airport?

On 9/13/2022 at 5:41 AM, oscarsmum said:

Heard from a professional person I visit that Malaysians are opening bank accounts in Thailand. Is this a simple task?

Yes and no. Get a residence certificate from immigration and it becomes easier although I can’t think of any reason why a Malaysian would want to do that unless they intend to apply for a non-o.

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

Last I checked, Hat Yai in Thailand.

Malaysians coming through the border near Hat Yai still require hotel accommodation and F&B. What difference does it make if they fly in to an airport?

Malaysian usually only come for a quick day trip buying trinkets and such.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnotherFarang8 said:

Hotels, yes. But there is a sizeable number of long term snowbird tourists who escape to Thailand for 3-4 winter months, they will rent an apartment usually. Counting them together with the two week hotel tourists and dividing total number of days spent by both groups by number of farang visitors will produce an average of 4 weeks per farang.

Besides, if i stay 2 weeks in one hotel then move to stay 2 weeks in another hotel/city, do they count me as an average 2 weeks farang from hotel records?

If you're staying '3-4 winter months' you're not really a tourist in the normal sense--someone visiting for a week or two, seeing the sights, and then leaving.  Rather, you're a part-time resident, settled in for months and, as you said, likely renting an apartment for your extended stay--or, perhaps, a part-timer who keeps a condo in Thailand and comes to escape the winters.  I maintain there's a difference between the two but respect your point of view.  

On 9/12/2022 at 9:49 PM, PoorSucker said:

When I was living down there they were coming in by the droves to the the Pattaya of the South... Kolok......

Edited by Gknrd
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Adumbration said:

No.  They rarely travel north of Soi Sawasdee in Sungai Golok.

They don't travel there much anymore. Kolok is dead and nearly all hotels are boarded up. Same for Hat Yai.

Most Malaysians nowadays travel to the Andaman coast, provinces like Satun, Krabi and Phuket.

On 9/13/2022 at 1:55 PM, Selatan said:

I think he meant Malaysians as in the Malay ethnicity, not Chinese or Indian from Malaysia. 

And you're correct , unless they have a conversation with you , you really can't tell the difference between a Chinese from any SE Asian country. 

The mainland Chinese are a bit more obvious for several reasons. 

• 2 weeks later...