Murder and rape suspected in Rayong after body of a 19-year-old woman was found in a local pond

webfact

image.jpeg

22-year-old Mr Peerapong Piakantha, the husband of the victim, told interviewing police on Tuesday he had arrived home from the South with his brother just after his wife’s body was discovered nearby by locals. He said she was 4 to 5 months pregnant and her death was also like losing a child. He told police he had spoken to 19-year-old Kritsana Saeng-arun via video chat on the evening before her death.

by James Morris and Son Nguyen

Hours after the murder investigation commenced on Tuesday morning when the body was removed from the scene for an autopsy and the husband of the victim was questioned by officers, the superintendent of Klaeng Police Station indicated that police were still collecting evidence and that CCTV footage could be extremely significant as part of the process in identifying those responsible for the murder of the woman.

Police in Rayong have launched a murder investigation after a body was found on Tuesday morning in the Klaeng district of the province of a young woman whose 22-year-old husband, according to his testimony, engaged in a video chat with her on Monday evening before arriving home on Tuesday morning from working in the South to find her body had been discovered by locals lying face down in a local pond.

Police in Rayong have opened a murder investigation after the body of a 19 year old woman was found in a local pond in the Klaeng district of the province on Tuesday morning in a place known as Nong Waen Farm.

Full story: https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2022/09/13/murder-and-rape-19-year-old-woman-in-rayong/

Tex.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Examiner 2022-09-14

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Sounds like the police suspect the husband.

One interesting clue is the post mortem redressing of the victim with her pants put on backwards. Suggests a personal connection between the perpetrator and the victim, and a desire to protect her dignity after death. Motive for redressing the victim may also be due to need to transport the body after murder. Need to move/conceal body is probably because if body were discovered at crime scene, whoever did it would immediately become a suspect.

Husband's disclosures about wife's past karaoke work, habit of staying with a "friend," and possibly being picked up by a Cambodian guy shortly before she went missing may all be true, but are probably arousing police suspicions that these are possible attempts to deflect attention away from husband as suspect. I wonder if medical examiner will conduct a paternity test on fetus to rule this out as possible motive for her murder.

• Like 2

So sad. I suppose as reasonably healthy, respectful and decent people, it is hard to wrap our minds around a crime like this. Who are these people? Who would be capable of inflicting this on a fellow human? Why? 

Not making a statement about Thailand. This kind of thing seems to happen all over the world. More of a reflection of humanity, and the collectively depraved state of mind, of the pathologically insane. 

Hope they find the killer and lock him up. A quick death would be more appropriate to the crime. There are some lines people cross in this life, that I think represent the self revocation of the right to breathe oxygen. 

35 minutes ago, d4dang said:

Hubby better have GPS in his phone.  The Cambodian guy on a motorcycle story is lame. 

Another young women suffers a horrific death.

Cops can quickly check which cell phone tower transmitted a call to confirm location. I'm not sure how the technology works, but my understanding is that cell phones regularly "ping" (send out a signal to find and match up with cell phone towers in the area) There are usually multiple cell phone towers in an area. By triangulating the microsecond difference between when the cell tower receives the signal,  the police can sometimes pin point where the call came from. (you don't even have to make a call). This technology was used In the case of French serial murderer Nordahl Lelandis' killing of Arthur Noyer to prove that the killer and the victim were traveling together in the same car at the time of the crime.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Sounds like the police suspect the husband.

One interesting clue is the post mortem redressing of the victim with her pants put on backwards. Suggests a personal connection between the perpetrator and the victim, and a desire to protect her dignity after death. Motive for redressing the victim may also be due to need to transport the body after murder. Need to move/conceal body is probably because if body were discovered at crime scene, whoever did it would immediately become a suspect.

Husband's disclosures about wife's past karaoke work, habit of staying with a "friend," and possibly being picked up by a Cambodian guy shortly before she went missing may all be true, but are probably arousing police suspicions that these are possible attempts to deflect attention away from husband as suspect. I wonder if medical examiner will conduct a paternity test on fetus to rule this out as possible motive for her murder.

Hey, hey! Slow your horses Sherlock!

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

54 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Hey, hey! Slow your horses Sherlock!

A murderer's treatment of the victim's corpse can be very telling in terms of providing clues as to the psychological and personal relationship between the victim and the murderer. Putting the clothes back on a dead rape victim's body is highly unusual. As I said in my earlier post, it may indicate that the murderer had a prior sexual relationship with the victim and still had a residual sentiment of wanting to prevent others from seeing her private parts and to preserve her dignity. I can't think of another case where a rapist attacked his victim at random and redressed her afterwards.

Another example of how a murderer's treatment of the corpse can be telling about the psychological and personal relationship they shared with the victim is Robert Durst's sending of a note to the Beverley Hills police department after killing Susan Berman. This was believed to have been done so that her body could be discovered in a timely manner. The placing of importance on timely burial was thought to point towards Robert Durst as the likely killer because timely burial is important in the Jewish faith and he was Jewish.

I see myself as generously sharing my knowledge of criminal behavior and police investigative techniques here. I think it should be obvious to many that I have an interest in the topic and at the very least have an unusual level of knowledge about criminology. I'm expounding to the extent I have here in the hopes that you and others will recognize that taking snide potshots at anyone who wishes to analyze or discuss current event crime stories in the news serves no purpose other than to clog up and hijack threads, and I hope that you and others who amuse yourselves by engaging in this tiresome activity will consider refraining from doing so in the future.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Multiple tattoos, formally worked at a karaoke bar and already 'retired' at the age of 19, married very early at 17, spends nights with a 'friend', picked up by a Cambodian 'friend' at 4am. Hmm. While the husband's away.... Maybe she told her 'friend' that her husband was returning from the south and that didn't go down well.

Yeah with all that going on while hubbies working down south.. 

sounds a bit like someone else was going down south too.. 

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

I am forever grateful!

Are you sitting down? The motive behind snide gibes such as yours is (wait for it, wait for it)...jealousy. Ouch! Don't get mad. You had it coming.

Edited by Gecko123

36 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Are you sitting down? The motive behind snide gibes such as yours is (wait for it, wait for it)...jealousy. Ouch! Don't get mad. You had it coming.

Why would I get mad? Why would I get jealous? I just don´t think your knowledge is any better than other people always trying to be armchair Sherlocks and solve the case. If you don´t like that, just move along with your investigation.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/14/2022 at 7:21 AM, spidermike007 said:

So sad. I suppose as reasonably healthy, respectful and decent people, it is hard to wrap our minds around a crime like this. Who are these people?

Please read the FULL story. She was living with her mother-in-law,  " was in the habit of spending some nights with a 'friend' of hers, and would return to his mothers house in the afternoon the next day"....formally worked in a karaoke bar and gave up that 'Lifestyle' when she married him. Not hard for me to wrap my mind around this crime.  3 people in the frame, and who's baby was she carrying ?. horrendous murder non the less. Revenge/ jealously take your pick.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, steven100 said:

so did any of you TV bar stool judges solve this case yet or are you all still p_ssing in the wind as usual.

Lol ...  

Nah not yet we are continuing with our investigations, after one more Chang????️‍♂️???? ????:coffee1:.................................

PS i'm not a bar stool nor do i drink chang.

• Haha 1

On 9/14/2022 at 8:49 AM, Gecko123 said:

Couldn't make heads or tails of that either. It's either a misunderstanding about what he said, or whoever did this just might take the cake for criminal stupidity..., i.e., time of death can be approximated, decomposing bodies usually float in water, trace and DNA evidence is not going to magically disappear if you throw somebody's body in water, stripping the body of clothes slows identification, phone records can be quickly verified, etc., etc.

Edit: If the husband actually claimed on the day that the body was discovered that he had just spoken to his wife the day before when in fact she had been dead for three days, needless to say, that's highly incriminating.

While I am not an expert here, I do question the accuracy of the "been dead for..." estimates.  I think in the hot sun, decay happens a lot more quickly.  There have been recent cases in the news where a person's corpse was reduced to bones in about a month.  In cooler climates, this would be impossible.  Here, it is very possible that the decomposition and bloat would be accelerated.  Floating in a pond would mean exposure that one would not get if left in the shade of a tree.  I don't know how carefully their estimates are made, or how well they have taken these variables into account, but I would say that, if he is actually innocent, the husband will need a very good lawyer who is able to show evidence that these estimates are legitimately contestable given the conditions.

The investigators do need to do a rape test on the woman and get DNA samples.  As there could be other motives for the murder as well, not finding foreign DNA would prove little, but if the DNA is not the husband's, that could help to expeditiously exonerate him. 

32 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Please read the FULL story. She was living with her mother-in-law,  " was in the habit of spending some nights with a 'friend' of hers, and would return to his mothers house in the afternoon the next day"....

Perhaps you need to rethink your interpretation of what is written.  I read it as the "friend" is likely female--no mention of the friend's gender seems apparent in the article.  The "his mother's house" refers to the husband's mother, i.e. the house of the woman's mother-in-law.  Nothing fishy about this--women often like to spend hours together, chatting as friends.  She might be expected to be closer to a friend of about her age than to her mother-in-law.  Undoubtedly, the mother-in-law could be questioned to verify the husband's story as to the woman's habits and friends.

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Please read the FULL story. She was living with her mother-in-law,  " was in the habit of spending some nights with a 'friend' of hers, and would return to his mothers house in the afternoon the next day"....formally worked in a karaoke bar and gave up that 'Lifestyle' when she married him. Not hard for me to wrap my mind around this crime.  3 people in the frame, and who's baby was she carrying ?. horrendous murder non the less. Revenge/ jealously take your pick.

None of that really matters. Things are not working out? What do real men do? We move on. We don't kill over jealousy or rage. 

• Like 2