Real Bread in Phayao

Robin

Can anyone recommend a place where I can buy real bread, preferably whole meal, in Phayao.  Getting fed up with the standard Lous offering.

I live in the west of Phayao, amphur Chun, but I would drive a distance if i was worth it.

Have you tried a bit of home baking, as quite easy to do.  Don't need any special equip, just a bit of understanding of the process.  Very easy to do.

As suggested, Makro, though closest one is about 1 hr away, unless living at southern end of Chun district.  Bread freezes well, for a month or so.  I stock up sometimes, and Makro is less than 10 mins away ????

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Have you tried a bit of home baking, as quite easy to do.  Don't need any special equip, just a bit of understanding of the process.  Very easy to do.

As suggested, Makro, though closest one is about 1 hr away, unless living at southern end of Chun district.  Bread freezes well, for a month or so.  I stock up sometimes, and Makro is less than 10 mins away ????

..Never seen any good bread at Makro.

You mean frozen naans and such?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VinnieK said:

..Never seen any good bread at Makro.

You mean frozen naans and such?

No I mean real bread. There 3 Makro around where I live and they all carry the bread. Have you looked on the bread section?

Sliced Bread & European Bread | Makroclick

https://www.makroclick.com/en/category/bakery-and-bakery-ingredients/shop-bakery/sliced-bread-european-bread

12 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

No I mean real bread. There 3 Makro around where I live and they all carry the bread. Have you looked on the bread section?

Sliced Bread & European Bread | Makroclick

https://www.makroclick.com/en/category/bakery-and-bakery-ingredients/shop-bakery/sliced-bread-european-bread

Yeah.. I've seen those..nothing to write home about.

The best so far has been at Big C extra (French round bread)

Baked on the premises daily 

No whole-wheat though 

..and it's been getting smaller  and more expensive by the year 

We don't have any  upmarket places in my town,(Villa etc)so I can't comment.

Tops is garbage too imo

Edited by VinnieK

33 minutes ago, VinnieK said:

Yeah.. I've seen those..nothing to write home about.

Do not feed the Troll. He's seen them but wouldn't write home about them. Unless you taste them which appears you haven't then you should keep your opinions to yourself.

I've never seen any true whole-wheat bread in Thailand, with the possible exception of at the health-food store at BAH in Bangkok.  They may have had some. 

The best available has some whole wheat, but is not fully whole-wheat bread--it seems to be about 50% WW.  On the other hand, one cannot make it, either, because there is no such thing as whole-wheat flour to be bought.

If you're really insistent on acquiring a good-quality WW bread in Thailand, I think you would need to purchase imported whole wheat, then grind your own flour and make your own bread from it.  Getting the wheat kernels is possible, but takes a bit of doing to source it.  If you have a local market where they sell beans and grains in bins, such as imports from India, you might check there to see if they have it--otherwise, you might be limited to ordering online.

https://www.lazada.co.th//products/i4104988053-s16052127567.html?spm=a2o4m.cart.0.0.67986108JJiudx&urlFlag=true

I use this in the malted multi-grain loaf which is the standard bread I make. The shop has most items an aspiring home baker requires. 

The Youtube channels of John Kirkwood and Chainbaker have both been good sources for educating me.

I haven't bought bread for years.

On 9/14/2022 at 3:24 PM, Sparktrader said:

Bread only tastes good within 24 hours. Bakeries always better.

Undoubtedly bread does taste good fresh, but real bread, i.e. the kind made with yeast, should not be eaten in the first 24 hours for health reasons.  There is still enough residual yeast active in the bread to risk an internal yeast infection.  This is, however, a seemingly little-known fact.

I have a doubt, it's a joke, right? Otherwise sorry for asking your sources.

"When the core temperature has reached 50°C, the micro-organisms are killed. At 80°C, gas cells form and the bread swells. Once reached 100°C, the interior dries. The crust is then close to 200°C and caramelizes."

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/first-world-war/home-front-stories/the-fresh-bread-ban/

Breads without yeast like Nan are real bread too for me...

The big difference for bread with yeast will be the working and resting of the dough in my opinion.

Regards.

oh

10 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

Undoubtedly bread does taste good fresh, but real bread, i.e. the kind made with yeast, should not be eaten in the first 24 hours for health reasons.  There is still enough residual yeast active in the bread to risk an internal yeast infection.  This is, however, a seemingly little-known fact.

At 200 degrees celsius no. Heat kills bad stuff.

23 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

I've eaten bread fresh out the oven for half my life. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

What did you eat for the other half?

Process of elimination ... I'm guessing mass produced store bought.

Once I learn how to and how easy bread making is, it's definitely my preference.  Use store bought only when being lazy.

16 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

At 200 degrees celsius no. Heat kills bad stuff.

It is true that the yeast will be killed in the outer crust if baked very long at 200 degrees Celsius; however, the inner bread may still have some active yeast for about a day after it is pulled from the oven.  Many people don't realize this.  If your stomach acid is sufficiently strong, there may be no ill effects; but older people and those with weaker stomachs or immune systems, or who may be taking antibiotics (as bacteria will resist the yeast growth), may develop candidiasis.

There's a lot of misunderstanding on this issue because of its complexity.  Yeast is said to die at a temperature of around 140+ degrees Fahrenheit; but this is after it has remained at that temperature for at least 5-8 minutes.  Yeast raises bread because it consumes sugars and releases both carbon-dioxide and alcohol as byproducts, the CO2 being what bubbles up in the bread.  The alcohol boils around 171+ degrees Fahrenheit, but will evaporate, at a slower rate, even at room temperature.  Whenever anything evaporates, it carries heat away from the source/substrate from which it has evaporated, cooling it.  Since water boils at 212 degrees Fahrenheit (100 Celsius), before the water can reach its boiling point, all the alcohol must have evaporated first.  But while either one of these is still evaporating, heat is being carried away from the surface of the bread.  The internal temperatures of the bread do not reach those at the surface.  And bread may only be baked for 30 minutes. 

If it takes 20-25 minutes for the bread, at its core, to reach the boiling point temperature of the alcohol, where it would stabilize until the alcohol was all gone, let's say for around 2-5 minutes more, and then an additional five+ minutes for the water to mostly evaporate at its boiling point (there's still some moisture left in a good loaf of bread when finished), it's not hard to see that the internal temperature may not reach the required temperature and duration to kill absolutely all of the yeast.

Interestingly, in Europe, people buy crusty loaves of bread, and often scoop out and throw away the internal, doughy, bread.  In America, children tend to cut away the crust and eat only the internal portion.  Maybe the Europeans have an edge with respect to candida, but the Americans would be better off in terms of the B-vitamins.  Ha!

3 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I've eaten bread fresh out the oven for half my life. 

Candida is more uncommon among young people.  The risk will increase as you age and your stomach acid weakens, as well as your immune system.  Even then, not everyone will acquire candida simply from eating fresh bread--just like not every smoker will die of lung cancer.  It is simply a risk, and one that is easy to avoid by waiting a day to eat the bread.

20 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

It is true that the yeast will be killed in the outer crust if baked very long at 200 degrees Celsius; however, the inner bread may still have some active yeast for about a day after it is pulled from the oven.  Many people don't realize this.  If your stomach acid is sufficiently strong, there may be no ill effects; but older people and those with weaker stomachs or immune systems, or who may be taking antibiotics (as bacteria will resist the yeast growth), may develop candidiasis.

There's a lot of misunderstanding on this issue because of its complexity.  Yeast is said to die at a temperature of around 140+ degrees Fahrenheit; but this is after it has remained at that temperature for at least 5-8 minutes.  Yeast raises bread because it consumes sugars and releases both carbon-dioxide and alcohol as byproducts, the CO2 being what bubbles up in the bread.  The alcohol boils around 171+ degrees Fahrenheit, but will evaporate, at a slower rate, even at room temperature.  Whenever anything evaporates, it carries heat away from the source/substrate from which it has evaporated, cooling it.  Since water boils at 212 degrees Fahrenheit (100 Celsius), before the water can reach its boiling point, all the alcohol must have evaporated first.  But while either one of these is still evaporating, heat is being carried away from the surface of the bread.  The internal temperatures of the bread do not reach those at the surface.  And bread may only be baked for 30 minutes. 

If it takes 20-25 minutes for the bread, at its core, to reach the boiling point temperature of the alcohol, where it would stabilize until the alcohol was all gone, let's say for around 2-5 minutes more, and then an additional five+ minutes for the water to mostly evaporate at its boiling point (there's still some moisture left in a good loaf of bread when finished), it's not hard to see that the internal temperature may not reach the required temperature and duration to kill absolutely all of the yeast.

Interestingly, in Europe, people buy crusty loaves of bread, and often scoop out and throw away the internal, doughy, bread.  In America, children tend to cut away the crust and eat only the internal portion.  Maybe the Europeans have an edge with respect to candida, but the Americans would be better off in terms of the B-vitamins.  Ha!

Candida is more uncommon among young people.  The risk will increase as you age and your stomach acid weakens, as well as your immune system.  Even then, not everyone will acquire candida simply from eating fresh bread--just like not every smoker will die of lung cancer.  It is simply a risk, and one that is easy to avoid by waiting a day to eat the bread.

some people love to live in fear ...

... fear of breathing the air

... drinking the water

... now eating fresh bread ????

Life expectancy in the late 70s.  Live in fear, avoid everything you read about, be miserable, and live what ... 5 more years, maybe, if not mowed down while crossing the street.

I did a couple insurance surveys, lifestyle for life expectancy.

Lied thru my teeth, and checked off every good eating / drinking and life experience possible.

Lied thru my teeth, and checked of every negative way to eat & live.

Was honest and the results, were simply < 5 yrs, both directions.

I eat & do what I want ... I'm happy not living in fear ????

28 minutes ago, ohpont said:

I agree with 2nd link (only one I looked at), and we're done @ 190°.

Don't do dense or hard crusty bread.  Been baking my own for 30 ish years.

Worked in 3 bakeries, one specializing in supplying bread to restaurants.  Temp is something we never monitored at the bakery.  Exact nightly routine, so didn't need to.

Only started using here to show wife when it's done, as all new to her.

Edited by KhunLA

Don't panic too much about bread, they are so many other food, next is just one example.

All types of alcohol, including such as wine, beer, whiskey, gin, vodka, contain high levels of yeast. The foods that are used to create these alcoholic drinks--potatoes, molasses, beets and grape skins--contain yeast. Yeast is absorbed into the bloodstream when a person drinks excessive amounts of alcohol. This can cause or aggravate a yeast infection. The high amounts of sugar in some forms of alcohol can also cause yeast infections.

Yeast,leaven sourdough, poolish, many ways to raise bread.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/198027-what-foods-can-cause-a-yeast-infection/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ohpont said:

Don't panic too much about bread, they are so many other food, next is just one example.

All types of alcohol, including such as wine, beer, whiskey, gin, vodka, contain high levels of yeast. The foods that are used to create these alcoholic drinks--potatoes, molasses, beets and grape skins--contain yeast. Yeast is absorbed into the bloodstream when a person drinks excessive amounts of alcohol. This can cause or aggravate a yeast infection. The high amounts of sugar in some forms of alcohol can also cause yeast infections.

Yeast,leaven sourdough, poolish, many ways to raise bread.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/198027-what-foods-can-cause-a-yeast-infection/

Bread isn't exactly high on the 'danger list'

And if he's worried about Candida, he better start cutting sugar, dairy and a lot more from your diet.